Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Commercial application:

We have a 16x16 matrix switcher. I want to control it via Crestron. The certified programmer built a screen with 16 source buttons on the top and 16 destination buttons on the bottom. To make a switch you touch a destination button and then a source button and it makes the switch through an RS232 interface. The two keys turn blue and the switch is made. It works!

So far, so good.

But looking at the screen you have no idea of which source is connected to which destination. Even if you touch a destination key, it does not indicate which source is currently feeding that destination. I want a window inside each destination key that indicates (using the name on the source button) which source is currently feeding it. This data need not be read back from the switch matrix as Crestron is the only thing controlling it, in other words, the Crestron controller can simply keep track of the connection internally and just communicate to the matrix in one direction only.

The programmer says this is not possible with the Crestron development tools! I find that hard to believe. Is this true?

P.S. Look at my HT site. The touchscreen there was programmed in raw C from the ground up by me and runs on a DOS PC with a recently added Ipad interface. It's a home built Crestron type system. I have built similar commercial control system in the broadcast market. So I know this is possible and hence my surprise the leading canned system can't do the same. Perhaps I need to go to Crestron school?

-OR-

Dump Crestron in this commercial appication and do it myself but why re-invent the wheel is the current thought.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1424101/crestron-systems-programming#post_22310488

Perhaps this just answered my question! Seems pretty convoluted to me!

Amrim, I welcome your comments as well as others on this.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If the programmer is using the "system builder" development tools, then maybe it's not possible, I'm not sure.

If he is using the "SIMPL Windows" development tools, then it's very possible. In fact, I'd recommend putting a text box below the destination button to show what is currently routed. This should take maybe 10 mins of programming to do if you're faking the feedback. Depending on the switcher, this could take longer to use true feedback from the switcher.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The answer really depends on the hardware you're controlling. The SDK for that hardware might not include the ability to query the matrix for status. I do this exact thing you're requesting ALL the time in commercial applications using Extron, Autopatch (AMX), Crestron, Kramer, FSR, and other matrix units.

If your programmers is, in fact, a Crestron Certified programmer then s/he is almost certainly not using System Builder.

Even if the SDK for the router hardware doesn't support queries it would be trivial to store the routes in Crestron's memory and assign text labels to boxes. This wouldn't, of course, reflect any changes that were made using the front panel of the router.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

The answer really depends on the hardware you're controlling. The SDK for that hardware might not include the ability to query the matrix for status. I do this exact thing you're requesting ALL the time in commercial applications using Extron, Autopatch (AMX), Crestron, Kramer, FSR, and other matrix units.
If your programmers is, in fact, a Crestron Certified programmer then s/he is almost certainly not using System Builder.
Even if the SDK for the router hardware doesn't support queries it would be trivial to store the routes in Crestron's memory and assign text labels to boxes. This wouldn't, of course, reflect any changes that were made using the front panel of the router.

Yes the matrix is capable of reporting back status. But since Crestron will be the only thing controlling it, it would be fine for Crestron to just store the routes internally. Perhaps our programmer is not as "certified" as they say!

We have full access to the course as part of the purchase agreement (major Hollywood studio) . So I guess I will look into training for myself. But as an expereinced embedded processor programmer myself, I expect the learning curve to be steep based on Amrim's post I referenced.

It's not too hard to learn Win Word - unless you have deep experience with another word processor, then it's actually harder. I have been through this with different CAD software over the years.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I second that this is trivial to do. I don't know why the programmer thinks it can't be done. Pls ask him to give you a specific reason as to what he thinks is hard. Then we can figure out if he is incompetent or misunderstanding what needs to be done.

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #7 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Yes the matrix is capable of reporting back status. But since Crestron will be the only thing controlling it, it would be fine for Crestron to just store the routes internally. Perhaps our programmer is not as "certified" as they say!
We have full access to the course as part of the purchase agreement (major Hollywood studio) . So I guess I will look into training for myself. But as an expereinced embedded processor programmer myself, I expect the learning curve to be steep based on Amrim's post I referenced.
It's not too hard to learn Win Word - unless you have deep experience with another word processor, then it's actually harder. I have been through this with different CAD software over the years.

The development environment isn't hard but it is not like anything you've ever seen before if you're a coder but it's not supposed to be. It's ladder logic which actually works REALLY well for event-driven programming. You'll probably be really frustrated. It's simple enough to build an entire "module" in Simpl+ (the C-like environment) that can control your switcher.

If the switcher isn't going to be controlled by anything else then it is really trivial to add what I call "fake feedback". I wouldn't do this in a control room environment or anywhere mission-critical but basically you set up n Serial I/O symbols (one for each output) to feed Indirect Text fields on the touch panel (or web interface). The Serial I/O symbols are driven by buffered input presses. Easy peasy.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps our programmer is not as "certified" as they say!

That's pretty serious in my opinion. Crestron does NOT like people running around saying that they're certified when they're not. Frankly, I'm a certified programmer and _I_ don't like it either. I worked really hard to earn that status! A CAIP (Crestron Authorized Independent Programmer) is not necessarily certified. You also don't, of course, need Crestron's permission to be a freelancer.

This project sounds expensive and it sounds like you have the budget to do it right so I would challenge your programmer to prove the certification. You might even be able to call Crestron and ask them if s/he's on the list.

Good luck!

post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....It's ladder logic which actually works REALLY well for event-driven programming.....

Excellent example! That's exactly what it seems to be based on. Like the old 1940s relay elevator control system in a building I once worked in.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #10 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's pretty serious in my opinion. Crestron does NOT like people running around saying that they're certified when they're not. Frankly, I'm a certified programmer and _I_ don't like it either. I worked really hard to earn that status! A CAIP (Crestron Authorized Independent Programmer) is not necessarily certified. You also don't, of course, need Crestron's permission to be a freelancer.
This project sounds expensive and it sounds like you have the budget to do it right so I would challenge your programmer to prove the certification. You might even be able to call Crestron and ask them if s/he's on the list.
Good luck!

Yeah, well he's not around any more for other unrelated but similar reasons.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, well he's not around any more for other unrelated but similar reasons.

If only you were closer... biggrin.gif

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page