AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Automation (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-home-automation/)
-   -   crestron training and purchasing power (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-home-automation/1444205-crestron-training-purchasing-power.html)

intertan 12-08-2012 06:32 PM

I am a certified, licenced journeyperson electrician. I have been for years looking at expanding my knowledge into home automation. I have decided to look at crestron and am exploring there site.

Now I work for a company and am looking at doing something idependent from them. Can I take there training course and be allowed to purchase and allow me to install there products? I don't have a buisness yet but is a buisness # or a buisness required?

David Haddad 12-13-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intertan View Post

I am a certified, licenced journeyperson electrician. I have been for years looking at expanding my knowledge into home automation. I have decided to look at crestron and am exploring there site.
Can I take there training course and be allowed to purchase and allow me to install there products?
In a word, no. In order to sell major lines like Crestron you're typically going to have to meet requirements such as:
1. Established business, usually with several years in business.
2. Significant yearly purchase commitments.
3. And so on...

intertan 12-16-2012 05:45 PM

well that sucks, I hope it doesn't have to be in that industry. Wish they could do something like if you take and pay for the training, pay a yearly licence fee you can do what ever you want.

Our local supplier deals with HAI and provided I take the couse I can purchase the equipment as I need.

Gramin 12-16-2012 10:24 PM

If you want a DIY solution, why don't you look at iRule?

cconner 12-22-2012 11:55 PM

RTI would suite you well.

holyindian 01-08-2013 12:41 PM

I have a similar question. Sorry to hijack this thread, but just a quick question.. I would like to do the entire home automation of our house by myself.. not sure if people in here do that. Currently i use Vera, but moving on i would like to have some serious automation going on using creston, or similar products.. with proper rack mountable controllers.
Can an individual take up an online course like creston offers and do the entire stuff himself? I understand Creston has certain criterieas.. but what about other brands? Control4, RTI etc etc.

Neurorad 01-08-2013 02:41 PM

There is a wide range of possibilities, from DIY HomeSeer at one end, and pro-only Crestron at the other.

For DIY, and the highly motivated enthusiast, CQC is the most flexible, robust option. But, like Crestron, there is a steep learning curve. The support is superb, on the CQC forum.

For a pro breaking into the biz, RTI is a good option, for single and multi room control. Another consideration would be URC.

HAI would be a decent option for the new pro as well, for whole house solutions.

A new pro should sign up with the local distributors, as an initial step. The distributor can help steer.

holyindian 01-08-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

There is a wide range of possibilities, from DIY HomeSeer at one end, and pro-only Crestron at the other.
For DIY, and the highly motivated enthusiast, CQC is the most flexible, robust option. But, like Crestron, there is a steep learning curve. The support is superb, on the CQC forum.
For a pro breaking into the biz, RTI is a good option, for single and multi room control. Another consideration would be URC.
HAI would be a decent option for the new pro as well, for whole house solutions.
A new pro should sign up with the local distributors, as an initial step. The distributor can help steer.

Thanks for the suggestions neurorad. Thats what i wanted to know.