ELAN System in new Home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I am very new to the Home Automation system, so I hope you will all forgive me for my ignorance. I recently moved in to a home that has an integrated speaker system in the ceilings throughout the home and on the porch. No controller was present when I moved in, but in the documentation left behind by the previous owners I see they had an invoice for the ELAN system (ELAN 600 and ELAN 660). I believe I found the connection location which appears to be a CAT5 (QTY 2) and a standard telephone cable.

In my research on the internet I see that the ELAN 600 is the controller and they 660 is the amplifier. I have found a few systems on Ebay, but I am not sure its worth procuring. My desire is not to utilize the telephone paging capabilities, but to use the system to distribute music throughout the house.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Not familiar with that system, but where do all the speaker wires go? Are they exposed somewhere or do they go to a panel (Elan)? Are there volume controls in each room with speakers?

Guessing if you don't care about the telephone aspects, you'll be better off with a new system and utilize the speakers in place. We'll have to know what wiring is where to give any advice on what system to use...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. All rooms have a single volume control knob, the wires are not connected to a panel they are just coming out of the wall.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Is that Nessie or Bigfoot? biggrin.gif

What kind of wires are those? Looks like an RJ45 connector?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
LOL, Jeff.

It looks like 2 pass-through holes in a wall plate, to me.

I'm not familiar with Elan either, but the first task is to figure out what cables you have and where they go. And, you need to decide what capabilities you'd like to have in your whole house audio system.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page