AVS Forum banner

Cheap but reliable home security camera system??

19K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  mrebeler87 
#1 ·
Hey everybody! Long time lurker, I hardly post at all, but I just purchased a new home and am looking into a camera system. 4-6 channels is PROBABLY enough. I've seen some at places like BrandsmartUSA, among other places, for as little as $199. http://www.brandsmartusa.com/ProductViewer.aspx?mid=162230

I don't need something amazing. I just want something cheap & affordable, that gets the job done. That I can wire to my home network and view from any computer. And that has decent enough cameras that can positively ID the face of an intruder. Thanks!

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendogg41  /t/1449893/cheap-but-reliable-home-security-camera-system#post_22789246

Hey everybody! Long time lurker, I hardly post at all, but I just purchased a new home and am looking into a camera system. 4-6 channels is PROBABLY enough. I've seen some at places like BrandsmartUSA, among other places, for as little as $199. http://www.brandsmartusa.com/ProductViewer.aspx?mid=162230

I don't need something amazing. I just want something cheap & affordable, that gets the job done. That I can wire to my home network and view from any computer. And that has decent enough cameras that can positively ID the face of an intruder. Thanks!
Well to positively identify the FACE of the intruder you aren't going to do it with $199 4/6 channels. That system you linked to has 4-400TVL cameras which are about as low resolution as money can buy, you need 600/700 TVL cameras and even then it's more about the distance the camera is away from the person. My friend owns a trucking company and I bought him a Lorex system because they were cheap for a 500 gig DVR/8 channel - 4 camera system and so far it works pretty good for him because if you really need protection you can set the cameras to motion detect and set them up to email you they picked up motion and you can watch the video on your smartphone. IP cameras have really good detail and resolutions if you spend the money and have the Hard drive to store the video, the better the picture, the more storage you need.

The system you linked is probably identical to the system I installed for a friend and it will probably be fine for what your trying to accomplish, my friend can clearly tell which employee it is that is screwing around from 30' away from the cameras even in night vision mode ( black and white) but there are no facial recognition past about 10' on a 400TVL analog camera but a pro thief wont be caught by his face anyway

#3 ·
U cud get a foscam on z-wave for less than 50 bucks.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P  /t/1449893/cheap-but-reliable-home-security-camera-system#post_22799234

Well to positively identify the FACE of the intruder you aren't going to do it with $199 4/6 channels. That system you linked to has 4-400TVL cameras which are about as low resolution as money can buy, you need 600/700 TVL cameras and even then it's more about the distance the camera is away from the person.

This. Cheap/far away cameras will let you watch someone taking/breaking your stuff, but that's about it. Doubtful you'll get anything like a face for identification, or a license plate number.

#5 ·
DIY cams are more of a deterrent, usually. They'll steal or break the PCs, NASs, NVRs, and/or DVRs.

Personally, I'd do cams + security system.

To ID an intruder reliably, one will need to pay $150/cam, for IP cams, at an absolute minimum. But a $100 Foscam or Vivotek might be a fun toy.

CCTV is still cheaper than IP.

#6 ·
+1 on Foscam. I only have one right now I use in my Nursery as a baby monitor. I plan on getting more for the rest of my house and using Insteon motion sensors to notify me if someone breaks into my home and then I can verify it by looking on the cameras and call the cops myself. With a smart phone you can monitor your house from anywhere in the world using Foscam cameras. You can also get software that will record video to reveiw later.

#7 ·
If you have a desktop computer in your home, have a little fun and build your own.

Check out iSpy or just google "open source surveillance software". There's a lot of good documentation for building your own, it's not too difficult, and you can focus spending your hard earned dollars on the hardware and have that hi-fi camera that will zoom in on a freckle.

#12 ·

http://landb-securities.com/shop/full-systems/21-4channel4cameras-600tvl-solution.html

this is a 8channel 4camera 600TVL system with a 320GB HDD for only 239.99. The price leaves a good amount of room for getting extra cameras if you need em. 

For extra cameras you could even go with

http://landb-securities.com/shop/cameras/12-14-zmodo-480tvl-dome-camera.html

they are only 39.99 and you could stick them in places you dont need the clearer resolution but being a 480TVL camera is still good quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.