New home and have a few solutions needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had originally planned to do a more extensive home automation setup, but decided to trim it back due to cost(for now). I am wiring the whole house for future goodies,but have a few items that are must haves and I am trying to decide the best way to attack them in the most elegant "stand alone" solution.

1)I have electric rollers shades that I want to open and close are predetermined times (or manually of course). They have standalone boxes, but I was trying to combine the solution with something more refined (combine with some of the other things below) so that I dont have 'wall warts" all over my modern home.

2)I have a courtyard style home, so you have to walk through a gate in the front to get to the front door. I want to have keypad access (for myself and friends) to unlock the electro-mag gate. But I also want people to be able to ring a door bell there, and I buzz them in via a button near my front door. I would also want a video camera facing them, with a display next to my front door (small display is fine).

A bonus would be able to view the camera/buzz in from my phone.

Since the roller shade controller would be near the front door, combing all of this into a single panel would be great (ipad as the control?) but I am open to suggestions.

3)Turn off all master room/bath/etc lights from a single off next to my bed. it looks like this is a simple Insteon solution.

Cost is a major concern because my budget for the above stuff is virtually zero. Otherwise I would put in a central home automation setup and handle these tasks with that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I need a car that does 180 mph and can handle really well at high speeds. It must have killer looks and make women want me. I have enough money for a cab ride, so which car should I get?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Gallardo. Budget friendly that does all of that.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If you consider a Gallardo "budget friendly" you should install a C4 and a Crestron. biggrin.gifwink.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

hehe smile.gif

(its all relative, right?) I was kidding obviously. For a "baller on a budget" i would get an older black BMW 3 series, debadge it, throw on some 19" wheels, lower it and tell all the "honies" its an M3. They wont know the different.

Ok, all kidding aside.. I know I am not going to get my solution for free. But when making a decision on purchasing something like this, you can look at it from:

cost
expandablitiy
Sex appeal (ipad control vs analog buttons)
Function

My goals are
1) Has to provide the above functions
2)Cost is second most important

There are 1,000,000+ ways to execute on my requirements. wen you toss in only seeking my requirements with out massive expandablity (C4, etc) with a secondary target of COST I had ASSumed that somebody would be able to help set me up. I think I am going to lean toward an all insteon setup with a stand alone mag lock/exit/buzz in/keypad setup. I can probably do everything for under 2K, dont see how I would integrate insteon into the gate control but maybe its possible. The industry seems fairly fragmented, so i was looking for some help... thats all.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
HAI would be a good choice, to tie everything together, including the future stuff.

Before you buy anything, talk with a local HAI dealer, about immediate needs and future plans.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page