Light Switch Help. Z-Wave? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I just bought a new house and currently have no automation equipment. I was thinking of going with Z-Wave because I have used their products before but I am willing to use something else if it work. Currently I was only looking at purchasing the switches for the two problems below and expanding later on. I tried posting to the Z-Wave forums but they don't seem very active. My two questions:

I have two light switches across the room from one another that control two separate lights. I would like both lights to turn on no matter which switched is pressed. Is it possible to setup two light switches to link together so that when one is pressed both lights turn on/off and when the other is pressed both lights turn on/off? If so, how can this be done?

I have a light switch at the top of a staircase. I would like to be able to turn on the lights from the bottom of the stairs and the top. Is there a way to install a switch at the bottom that would control the switch at the top of the stairs? If so how is this done when the bottom switch isn't actually attached to any lights?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It would be very easy to do this with Insteon switches. No master control required. Just link them together by holding down the paddles. 30 seconds and you're done.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324 View Post

It would be very easy to do this with Insteon switches. No master control required. Just link them together by holding down the paddles. 30 seconds and you're done.

Thanks for your reply.

What is the difference between Insteon and Z-Wave? Can both of my problems be fixed with any Insteon switches or do I need specific switches?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM

Insteon uses both wireless and powerline communication. They have similar features.

Yes you can use any switch but Switchlinc Dual Band devices should give the best reliability. You can also mount Remotelinc 2 on the wall at the bottom of your steps and it doesn't need any wiring.

Side note @Neurorad "Can both of my problems be fixed with any Insteon switches or do I need specific switches?" This is totally a Lutron-inspired question. tongue.gif
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324 View Post

Insteon uses both wireless and powerline communication. They have similar features.

Yes you can use any switch but Switchlinc Dual Band devices should give the best reliability. You can also mount Remotelinc 2 on the wall at the bottom of your steps and it doesn't need any wiring.

Side note @Neurorad "Can both of my problems be fixed with any Insteon switches or do I need specific switches?" This is totally a Lutron-inspired question. tongue.gif

Thanks again.

For curiosity, do you know if my problems can be solved with Z-wave? I have been searching for two days and can't find any reference to anything but maybe the GE kits they sell.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Probably, but you have to use a master controller to set up the network, include the devices, program the scenes.

What do you like about z-wave or dislike about Insteon?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

I had used Z-Wave at my old home for some basic living room lighting and found it very easy to setup. I have no experience with Insteon and do not dislike anything about it because I do not know anything about it. I have looked up the two online and it seems like it is half use Z-Wave and half use Insteon.

I kinda want to know how they work now for my own curiosity. I have searched all over online for how to fix my problems with Z-Wave and have come up with little to nothing. I did come across the Evolve LSM-15 & Evolve LTM-5 which may do the trick but seems to be all I could find. I thought there would be numerous ways to solve this problem with any Z-Wave switch.

One more Insteon question for you. For my staircase problem where I have a light switch at the top of the stairs. I also have a bedroom upstairs where the lights are also controlled by that same switch. Would I be able to put a switch at the bottom of the stairs, a switch in the bedroom, and have them both control the light switch at the top of the stairs? If so, could this be a dimmer as well?

Thanks again for your responses!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGUy View Post

One more Insteon question for you. For my staircase problem where I have a light switch at the top of the stairs. I also have a bedroom upstairs where the lights are also controlled by that same switch. Would I be able to put a switch at the bottom of the stairs, a switch in the bedroom, and have them both control the light switch at the top of the stairs? If so, could this be a dimmer as well?

Thanks again for your responses!
Yes and yes. Switchlincs can be linked to as many other Switchlincs or Remotelincs as you want.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page