Want to control two ceiling lights, I'm starting from zero, what do I buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've moved to a place with a nice dark basement so I've been Turing it into a home theater. I have two standard ceiling fixtures each controlled by a seperate on/off wall switch. I would really like to be able to dim them from the sofa.

I have a harmony remote that I don't want to replace and obviously I don't want to add a second remote. I'm not in the eye line of either switch but I am of the light fixtures, so I don't think I can just buy an IR light switch. I have no existing automation systems so I'm starting fresh.

Last time I looked into this gear x10 was about the only option but that's changed. I really only want to do these two lights and only control them from the remote and switch, so I'd like something easier on the budget.

Is there a cheap option? What would you buy? Even an ir controlled light bulb socket would work if it exists.

Help me AVS forum, you're my only hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Look at this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445574/remote-control-light-switch

There are some IR controlled LED bulbs, though YMMV on quality, lumens, & the ability to use w/ your remote.

http://www.amazon.com/BrightChoice-Kuler-Bulb-Changing-Brightest/dp/B0085OS2RQ
post #3 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A Lutron Maestro IR dimmer might work even if you aren't line of sight. They are actually pretty good about picking up the IR from a pretty wide angle. I used to run one in a bedroom in which the door (and light switch) were on a wall facing away from the bed about three feet around the corner. Aiming the remote at the wall and bouncing the beam into the wall switch worked great. What's the layout of the area look like?
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page