Need help choosing between Insteon, Lutron, or whatever you recommend - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I suspect this device won't be available in the essential software so even if it uses ClearConnect, RR2 can't talk to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Following RA2 forums pretty closely the last few years, nobody has come out and said the Maestro RF dimmers can be used with the RA2 Main Repeater. Might have to give it a shot someday.

Well the high level devices that all sell around a similar price point might work together and in fact there are some references that RA2 dimmers work with QS but there is no way they would go through all the effort to differentiate the product lines and charge extra for the premium features only to have everyone start buying MRF2 instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisms98 View Post

I suspect this device won't be available in the essential software so even if it uses ClearConnect, RR2 can't talk to it.

The CC gateway has its own setup software built in so the only question is what devices can be linked/associated to it.
post #63 of 71 Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, here is an update

Looks like I am going to go with RRD-6D for my dimmers which are the RadioRA2s. Will use the Lutron Main Repeater. Will buy the somfy converter so I can control my shades and motorized drapes. The installer I have used in the past is not an authorized iRule dealer and I wasn't able to find one anywhere near me on their site. SOOO, I am trying to find an alternative. Wanting a system that I can control on my iphone. My questions are.

Will the Lutron app control my somfy shades?

Is there a different app or company I should use instead of iRule.

Does the above set-up look right? I am going to install the Cree CR6 in all of my 25 overhead lights.

Thanks for the help guys as always.
post #64 of 71 Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeagle6921 View Post

Will the Lutron app control my somfy shades?
Not unless you use a Visor Controls Receiver to integrate them.
Quote:

Is there a different app or company I should use instead of iRule.
Maybe roomie? Note that you can DIY iRule and roomie and don't have to be a dealer.
Quote:

Does the above set-up look right? I am going to install the Cree CR6 in all of my 25 overhead lights.
Why not use the RRD-6NA for LEDs?
post #65 of 71 Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

az1234,
If it were your system, would you buy the Visor Control Receiver or go with iRule? I am leaning towards iRule. How hard would it be for a DIY to set up lighting zones, shades, and a thermostat? Is it very hard? I am in late 20's, and am a little above average when it comes to "tech" things. The Lutron rep told me to use the RRD-6D because they were cheaper and performed similar to the RRD-6NA. Have you had experience with both? Thanks.
post #66 of 71 Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

az1234,
If it were your system, would you buy the Visor Control Receiver or go with iRule? I am leaning towards iRule. How hard would it be for a DIY to set up lighting zones, shades, and a thermostat? Is it very hard?

You'll need the RadioRA2 software to set up that system - talk to your dealer or go through the online courses to gain access yourself. iRule has a learning curve but it can do the trick - but it's not the total solution for all control scenarios (you'll want wall keypads, too).
Quote:
The Lutron rep told me to use the RRD-6D because they were cheaper and performed similar to the RRD-6NA. Have you had experience with both?

I suspect you didn't mention that you were going to use LEDs? The 6NA is meant for LED installs with a minimum load of only 5W. The regular -6D requires a minimum load of 50W, which is a lot of LED fixtures... Lutron training folks suggest using the -6NA everywhere going forward, as even if the load is incandescent today, it will likely be LED in the near future (and could run into minimum load problems).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #67 of 71 Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

OK, will go with the RRD-6NA Thanks for the advice. Rep on phone said they had similar dimming ability, glad I checked on here first. Still trying to figure out how to control the Lutron lights with the Somfy RF shades. Would the Lutron App work for controlling both? Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks
post #68 of 71 Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM

You're going to have to do some work to get all the controls into one app. The Lutron App controls only Lutron devices, and only those that have been setup by the installer software.

It would be pretty easy to set up iRule or Roomie to do the Somfy controls and then you would have to (gasp) switch between two apps. wink.gif Or you could use something like Autelis Shade Control which is already setup to control Somfy shades.
post #69 of 71 Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Would it be easy for an installer to set up irule to control both lights and shades? Is it easy to set up scenes in irule for Somfy?
post #70 of 71 Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Liked: 10
Before you settle on leds consider looking at costco. I picked up 6 inch led can lights that are dimmable for about 22 each. That was way cheaper than anything i have seen at home depot or lowes. I connected lutron led dimmers and they work great......but i cant say anything about if rra2 dimmers work with led or not.

Post the cost and your feedback after install please. I'm inmthe exact same place....not sure what to go with

Mac
post #71 of 71 Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Liked: 10
Insteon product details

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeagle6921 View Post
I can not tell from either company's website whether you can use LED with them. It looks like from Lutron that you can't but I can't tell with Insteon. Anyone used LED with either?

A list of products with manuals can be found here...

http://www.insteon.com/support.html

I just bought a 7 piece Insteon starter kit from Cost.com for $200.
hub, camera, motion detector, etc

Bukzin
North California
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page