CI reviews: HAI = Great customer service, C4 mediocre service, Elan good Customer Service, who to go with? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've spoken to several CI companies so far. I need help deciding on who to choose.

From what I gather on these forums, It's wise to pick your installer first and then the system.

Let me reiterate my specs for discussion purposes.

Price is only a small factor if they are all within 25% of each other.

New build in framing process
I need iPad and iPhone control
7,000 sq ft home
6 video distribution
8 zone audio
3 thermostats
6-8 security cameras
security
blinds
garage
lights
dedicated media room
future pool
deadbolts

Company #1 - HAI dealer. (URC and Binary for HDMI switching) GREAT Customer service and communication so far. Most comfortable with this company. But initially I did not want to go with HAI due to not being as "glamorous"

Company #2 - C4 dealer. (JAP for HDMI) Mediocre to poor communication as in responding to phone calls and emails, but is a "C4 Platinum/Gold " dealer (for whatever that's worth). In the last week his communication has gotten a little better. I really wanted to go with C4 but the poor communication is holding me back.

Company #3 Elan G or Savant. Good Customer service thus far in phone and email communication. I meet more with them this week.

Company #4 RTI. Good Customer service but said adding each component in the future would be 6-8 hours of programming. Not that experienced in Home automation.

From what I gather on these forums HAI is not an automation product like C4, Elan G, RTI, etc. Otherwise it would be a slamdunk, I would go with company #1.

From what the installers of Company #1 told me is that HAI can do everything that C4 can do except things may be under different apps.

Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Just Add Power.... A must for video distribution. My two cents.....
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM

While I can't comment on the full capabilities of a C4 system, I can tell you that Elan g can certainly handle what it is you are looking to do.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Liked: 12
Savant's HDMI switching is much better than any of the "other" solutions on the market but it is expensive. Just Add Power works pretty well but keep in mind that it is a compressed HDMI image so may not be "Great" in all settings.

I would stay away from RTI for a project of this magnitude. RTI is great for smaller homes and smaller systems but it would be stressed to operate at this level.

HAI is a good product. We use their security systems all the time but haven't done a lot of their automation systems. We prefer to integrate HAI security with Control4 or Savant.

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Travis.

I've narrowed my choice down to C4 and Savant. I believe I found an installer that seems to be competent and very customer oriented thus far.