DIY remote controlled projector lift - AVS Forum
Home Automation > DIY remote controlled projector lift
Wardsweb's Avatar Wardsweb 03:10 PM 02-05-2013
I needed to have my projector drop 24" from the ceiling to clear a ceiling fan in my den/home theater. Most of the ones I have seen are boxes that drop out of the ceiling. I came up with a very simple solution using a linear actuator, modified Da-Lite universal projector mount, 12vDC supply and a remote controlled double relays to reverse the voltage to the actuator.

Wardsweb's Avatar Wardsweb 03:11 PM 02-05-2013
Here is what it looks like with the projector in the down position.

NickTheGreat's Avatar NickTheGreat 09:59 AM 02-06-2013
I don't have much to add but am excited to see how it turns out smile.gif

How are you gonna control this? I guess I do see a remote in the picture. Any plans to automate it?
Wardsweb's Avatar Wardsweb 10:24 AM 02-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I don't have much to add but am excited to see how it turns out smile.gif

How are you gonna control this? I guess I do see a remote in the picture. Any plans to automate it?

It is controlled at present with the two buttom remote (up and down). The actuator has limit switches to keep it from over extending in either direction. Future plans are to add a 12v triggered replay to drop it when the movie icon is pressed on the system remote.
Wardsweb's Avatar Wardsweb 05:54 PM 02-06-2013
Install complete and working great.

weaselfest's Avatar weaselfest 04:28 AM 02-07-2013
Very Clever! You are fortunate to have as much clearance as you do above your theater ceiling. Is it attic space? Curious how you are handling your wire routing, too.
Wardsweb's Avatar Wardsweb 05:43 AM 02-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

Very Clever! You are fortunate to have as much clearance as you do above your theater ceiling. Is it attic space? Curious how you are handling your wire routing, too.

Yes the area above the room is attic space. Luckily the area I needed to mount the lift is just off the attic cat walk. It made it a lot easier to get the work done. As for cable management, I originally bought some flexible cable track but ended up using some PVC pipe to go around the actuator. The power and HDMI cables route through the PVC pipe. I installed a 110 outlet at the lift to power the projector and the lift controller. The HDMI cable runs across the attic to the back wall of the home theater, where it does down the wall to a HDMI wall plate next to the side and back surround speaker jacks.
dep378's Avatar dep378 12:29 PM 04-18-2013
I just bought a 12" actuator & 12v adaptor for my projector. It works via rocker switch, but I am wanting a remote for it. I am clueless w/ any electronics/relay talk. What do I need to buy in order to use a remote w/ the actuator?
Up
Mobile  Desktop