AVS Forum banner

New home - need some info

755 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  scottwood2 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I don't know what I am looking for in particular, but wanted to get some ideas from you guys as to what can be done n term of automation for our new home.

Again, I don't know what works and what doesn't so sorry for the stupid questions.

1. can the garage door open automatically as the car approaches?

2. can we install lights that will turn on with motion detection.

3. what other cool automations can be down on low budgets.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369  /t/1459079/new-home-need-some-info#post_22983938

Hi all,

I don't know what I am looking for in particular, but wanted to get some ideas from you guys as to what can be done n term of automation for our new home.

Again, I don't know what works and what doesn't so sorry for the stupid questions.

1. can the garage door open automatically as the car approaches?

Yes

Quote:

2. can we install lights that will turn on with motion detection.

Yes

Quote:

3. what other cool automations can be down on low budgets.

This

Guests may push this button and a bell will chime in your house to inform you of their visit.

#3 ·
You didn't specify what you meant by "low budget" - K Shep's suggestions for a garage door opener and a door bell are certainly possibilities..... - but there are some other neat products around for lighting, convenience and security - check out Smarthome.com for some inspiration (I literally just recommended the same site in a separate post, but have absolutely no affiliations or connections with the company other than being a satisfied customer!). You can do things when the garage door is triggered, such as turn on the lights for the garage, if it's dark, turn on hallway lights from the garage, annouce your arrival, etc. etc. - there are an almost infinite number of possibilities.

#5 ·
K Shep... Hilarious!

I have integrated RTI, Radio Ra2, and the alarm system to do exactly what you describe. All of the devices in the alarm, ie the motion detectors and door contacts, can trigger macros in the RTI system. Depending on what "low" means, this could be a possibility. Ive done smaller homes for under $10k, and larger homes for $100k+, just depends on what you are looking for.

#6 ·
You should search Elk M1, Lutron Radio RA2, and HAI OPII as possible hardware.

Cocoontech forums are a good place for research, particularly for HAI and Elk - dedicated subforums.

#8 ·
Although the new HA system have many improvements I still find that X-10 still bring a lot of value. I have had a X-10 system for years and still find the devices are way more cheaper that other newer tech items. I see short supply of many x-10 items still so some are still buying it. I am looking at wireless door/window devices. X-10 is $22 for 3 ot them and the batteries last for more than 3 years I am told. Just depend what you want and how deep your pocket book is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.