Multiple apps for multiple systems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if I want to wirelessly control my music, hvac and shades using iPhone, tablet etc. I will always be using different apps for each system? If so what is the cheapest way to control everything wirelessly from a single app/interface. We are gutting our house so I will be running wires shortly. We have a 2 family house and we live on 2nd floor so the space is small if that makes a difference. I really need and a/v consultant on LOng Island if anyone knows one....just for advice and to see my space because this is all a little confusing. I will def do the install myself. Thanks

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

So if I want to wirelessly control my music, hvac and shades using iPhone, tablet etc. I will always be using different apps for each system? If so what is the cheapest way to control everything wirelessly from a single app/interface. We are gutting our house so I will be running wires shortly. We have a 2 family house and we live on 2nd floor so the space is small if that makes a difference. I really need and a/v consultant on LOng Island if anyone knows one....just for advice and to see my space because this is all a little confusing. I will def do the install myself. Thanks

I'm planning on using HomeSeer to do this. You either need a Windows box running the software 24/7 or use one of their appliances (which basically has a embedded Windows XP install running their software).

With HSTouch you can design your own iPhone/iPad interfaces and control anything HomeSeer has a plugin for (in my case: security, lights, audio, HVAC, sprinklers, garage doors, and locks).

There are other competitors to HomeSeer such as Vera.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #3 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

On another thread you asked a completely different question that contradicts your question here. You sound confused.
You want everything "the cheapest" and it all to be controlled from a single app. Plus you'd like an A/V consultant, do you plan to pay this consultant then install his design yourself?
post #4 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Shep View Post

On another thread you asked a completely different question that contradicts your question here. You sound confused.
You want everything "the cheapest" and it all to be controlled from a single app. Plus you'd like an A/V consultant, do you plan to pay this consultant then install his design yourself?

I love condescending people like you....most are miserable. The cheapest...who said that? I said I would pay a consultant to help with ideas only and I would install myself. Problem? Confused I said I was!!!

beau
post #5 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I love condescending people like you....most are miserable. The cheapest...who said that? I said I would pay a consultant to help with ideas only and I would install myself. Problem? Confused I said I was!!!

Read below.

Quote:

what is the cheapest way to control everything

You wrote this below, no where have you mentioned paying a consultant.

Quote:

I really need and a/v consultant on LOng Island if anyone knows one....just for advice and to see my space because this is all a little confusing. I will def do the install myself.

Listen horse! I may be miserable but I'm not wasting time. I guess I should be a little nicer when members post non-sense but it's frustrating when I try to help you and in return you post ignorant questions in reply. This is your post from another thread.

Quote:

What interface is there that I could mount on my wall say in my kitchen that I could control my music if say my computer is not on, and I don't want to use my iPhone? Would it require cat 6? Thanks

You don't mount interface on a wall horse, you load interface on a device in the form of code. But that information is difficult for folks who don't take the time to learn about home systems.

Thank you for loving me, I wish I could say the same.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Shep View Post

Read below.
You wrote this below, no where have you mentioned paying a consultant.
Listen horse! I may be miserable but I'm not wasting time. I guess I should be a little nicer when members post non-sense but it's frustrating when I try to help you and in return you post ignorant questions in reply. This is your post from another thread.
You don't mount interface on a wall horse, you load interface on a device in the form of code. But that information is difficult for folks who don't take the time to learn about home systems.

Thank you for loving me, I wish I could say the same.

Ok..time to watch Vandepump with the wife....tongue.gif

beau
post #7 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Well, hey, I gave you some ideas for somewhat cheap solutions and you didn't respond to them ... So.....

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #8 of 12 Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks CJ...looking into Homeseer....did not see your post.

beau
post #9 of 12 Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM

Liked: 11
Take a look at MainLobby too... They have a great iPad interface and I have been using it for several years now... Switched from HomeSeer...
post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow Coler... ML very expensive

beau
post #11 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
DGF

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Wow Coler... ML very expensive

I dropped many hundreds of dollars on the MainLobby suite and more time than I care to remember - I was able to achieve more in a few hours using Roomie than I ever did with ML. But to be fair, I haven't looked at the MainLobby iOS offerings for a while.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Cheap and home automation do not belong in the same discussion.

First you have the cost of the hardware. Is all of your equipment controllable (and just because it has a dedicated app doesn't mean that a centralized automation system will be able to control it)?

Then you have the cost of the automation system. Going DIY limits your choices, but allows the end user to control and modify their system instead of having a service tech come out ($$$) to make a change in the system. You've gotten a couple of suggestions already. I personally use Charmed Quark Controller (otherwise known as CQC) as the core of my system. I like their pricing structure much better than some of the alternatives. With CQC, you pay for a license based on the total number of devices you want to control. It doesn't matter what the devices are, and you can change the devices at any time. With most other options, you get charged for each specific device. If you end up changing brands (ie going from a Sony TV to a LG TV), then you have to pay more money to control the new device. With CQC, you can simply unload the old device and load in a new device without having to pay more money because the total number of devices hasn't changed.

Then you have installation costs. If you are going DIY, this may not require a lot of $$$, but it will certainly require a lot of time. The Professionally installed systems certainly cost more, but they are done in a stated time frame without a lot of grief. DIYing an automation system has been fun, but I'm a geek and enjoyed it. Unless you enjoy tinkering (and getting yelled at from the family because something went wrong), you shouldn't attempt to DIY this.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page