nest thermostat - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
why does nest not allow integration of the thermostat with other devices? I have the radiora 2 setup in my home and really can't see going to the Honeywell thermostat I had. I love the nest and the app but would like to be able to have it integrated with the radiora.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Once I learned that the NEST founders came from Apple, all my questions were answered! eek.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM

Liked: 10
There is a free homeseer plugin for nest. I can see everything and more from homeseer than the nest or nest app. No remote control, but just let the nest do its auto magic.
post #4 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikjoe View Post

why does nest not allow integration of the thermostat with other devices? I have the radiora 2 setup in my home and really can't see going to the Honeywell thermostat I had. I love the nest and the app but would like to be able to have it integrated with the radiora.

I spent the last two days with most smart thermostat manufacturers, including Honeywell. No one understands it...but everyone expects they'll come around sooner or later, if for no other reason than they'll be left behind if they don't, no matter how beautiful their hardware is.

Founder for the CastleOS Home Automation System, featuring Kinect integration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisdl View Post

There is a free homeseer plugin for nest. I can see everything and more from homeseer than the nest or nest app. No remote control, but just let the nest do its auto magic.

I know quite a few customers who have had to turn the learning off, for various reasons. Not having a remote control capability makes the thermostat useless to them, so they are forced to use the Nest app.

post #6 of 37 Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM

The plugin was just written by a fellow user last month, Im sure remte control and more capabilities will come along soon. **Disclaimer** I think its just using the nest HTML web interface to get the info. Its totally unsupported by nest and any nest changes to the website could break this integration.

I think nest is probably the wrong thermostat if you dont want to use at least the auto-away feature. I understand placement issues; I had to move one of mine, but its totally worth it if you are spending that much on a motion activated solution.
post #7 of 37 Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This turned up a while ago. Perhaps there will be real integration opportunities at some point.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/22/nest-home-monitoring-device-pops-up-at-the-fcc-with-zigbee/
post #8 of 37 Old 03-02-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

all in all i'm very happy with the next and the interface with the ios apps on my ipad or iphone. nice when i'm hot lying in bed that I can change my temp without getting out of bed. sometimes I come home early and I have the temp dialed down I turn it up remotely. I just really don't want there to be a missing part on my radiora2 software. the thermostat I removed was a Honeywell that looks identical to the lutron/Honeywell option they have. it looks very dated compared to the nest.
post #9 of 37 Old 03-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Control 4 released an app but Nest asked them to remove it and they did

I hope someday they will license a third party app

I have 8 Nests in my home
post #10 of 37 Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I paid good money for there product I should be able to integrate it. lutron is awesome with allowing integration. apple I mean nest isn't! smile.gif
post #11 of 37 Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM

I'd hoped that I could have a separate Nest upstairs to measure the temperature from there, monitor movement, etc. but it appears that each location needs to be wired to the HVAC system. I assume that your 8 locations are wired to your HVAC or is there some trick that I'm missing?
post #12 of 37 Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsayed View Post

I'd hoped that I could have a separate Nest upstairs to measure the temperature from there, monitor movement, etc. but it appears that each location needs to be wired to the HVAC system. I assume that your 8 locations are wired to your HVAC or is there some trick that I'm missing?

all mine control different heating zones in the house (5 control radiant floor heat zones)

if you just want to monitor temperature, you would need to feed a separate Nest 24 volts AC and it should work: have you tried it yet?
post #13 of 37 Old 03-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Thanks - haven't tried that yet due to needing run wire, etc.
post #14 of 37 Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

^^^^

all you have to do is get a 24 volt AC power supply (a little wall wart type) and hook it up to the heat pins:

and set it up it as a heat only thermostat, no fan, and you should be good to use its WiFi communications for remote temperature reading
post #15 of 37 Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Go figure just sold nest and switched to lutron touch pro.
post #16 of 37 Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am just exploring home automation, and while looking at HomeSeer, Z-Wave, etc., I came across this from Mi Case Verda, a plug-in that allows you to control Nest from within their software.

http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=3116

Xbox Live:
 | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID:
| Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #17 of 37 Old 10-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Nest has finally opened up its API to third party control systems starting early 2014: I think C4 will release there protocols first: RTI is working on it too smile.gif

and next month they begin to ship their smoke/ fire alarms which communicate via WiFi
post #18 of 37 Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I was reading about them opening up their API earlier this week, very glad to hear that. It was one of the things I was waiting on before pulling the trigger.

Didn't know about the smoke detector though...
post #19 of 37 Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

post #20 of 37 Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

^^^

http://nest.com/blog/2013/10/08/meet-the-nest-protect-smoke-and-co-alarm/

I ordered two of them to check out

Did they build an API for it as well?
post #21 of 37 Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Nest 4.0 will integrate these detectors

http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-home/nest-protect/4505-9788_7-35828549.html

...If you've already gone all-in on Nest and own a Nest Thermostat, the smoke detectors serve a secondary purpose: they act as sentinels around your house to tell your thermostat when you're still home even if you haven't passed by a thermostat for a while. This would keep your thermostat from putting itself in Away mode because it thinks you've left the house...
post #22 of 37 Old 10-22-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Mrrrrr.... $129... I think that the 10 or so detectors in my home will stay right where they are for a while.

Moreso if these suckers start acting up.

Glad to hear that Nest is finally opening up their API which has been a huge complaint of mine forever (I bought a couple anyway and I do like them). Hopefully we will see modules for most products start to appear.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #23 of 37 Old 10-27-2013, 05:50 AM

My friend has one and disabled the learning. Said it was annoying as he would be sitting in a cold house because of his actions a week ago. Now just uses the wifi functions and his iphone.
post #24 of 37 Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborspy View Post

My friend has one and disabled the learning. Said it was annoying as he would be sitting in a cold house because of his actions a week ago. Now just uses the wifi functions and his iphone.

The "self-learning" aspect of all such devices are a joke, at least for me personally, YMMV. Just because I bumped up the temperature last Tuesday at 7 PM in no way shape or form means I want it bumped up this Tuesday.

post #25 of 37 Old 10-30-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
My NuHeat electric radiant floor thermostats (rebranded Aube) have a similar learning function. Works very, very well for set-it and forget-it items, like heated floors.

I have it set for 'On', at a set temp, from 4:30-9A. It figures out what time to start heating, to give me my set temp at 4:30A.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #26 of 37 Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Take a look at ecobee. we went with them over nest at the recommendation of several HVAC techs. It's been great.
post #27 of 37 Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Nest Protect in the house smile.gif

received 2 Nest Protect hardwired smoke+ Carbon Monoxide detectors: will install tomorrow

these use only 2 wires for the AC: the third yellow communications wire that connects to all the other detectors in the house (by code in my town) is not used since the Nest interconnects by WiFI

more to follow
post #28 of 37 Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

these use only 2 wires for the AC: the third yellow communications wire that connects to all the other detectors in the house (by code in my town) is not used since the Nest interconnects by WiFI

Yeah, that little tidbit is the reason I'm holding off... I'd really like a couple of these, but no way am I replacing the ~11 detectors in my house with Nest units. And having one go off without the rest defeats the purpose of adding one of the Nest units in my case.

There have been some statements by Nest that a version that could "integrate with security systems" is coming early next year - i'm hoping that means they'll have a model with the interconnect enabled. I assume the current model doesn't support it for code / certification / regulatory reasons - and they dropped the feature to get it out the door.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #29 of 37 Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Nest Protect in the house smile.gif

received 2 Nest Protect hardwired smoke+ Carbon Monoxide detectors: will install tomorrow

more to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yeah, that little tidbit is the reason I'm holding off... I'd really like a couple of these, but no way am I replacing the ~11 detectors in my house with Nest units. And having one go off without the rest defeats the purpose of adding one of the Nest units in my case.

There have been some statements by Nest that a version that could "integrate with security systems" is coming early next year - i'm hoping that means they'll have a model with the interconnect enabled. I assume the current model doesn't support it for code / certification / regulatory reasons - and they dropped the feature to get it out the door.

Jeff

I'm really shocked that these interconnect via WiFi. I get WiFi for remote control, but not for a critical system: notifying all other detectors in the house when one detector senses fire.

First Alert, by comparison, uses a wireless interconnect that does not require a third party source like WiFi does.

post #30 of 37 Old 11-26-2013, 07:53 PM

Well, that's because it doesn't:

Working Wi-Fi connection: 802.11 - 2.4 GHz
Wireless Interconnect: 802.15.4 - 2.4 GHz (which is either ZigBee itself or something comparable)

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page