Touch Screen Wiring Help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We jut started demo of ceilings today and will do the wall next but everything will be closed up in a week. We would like to mount a wall touch screen that can control music, shades and some lights. photo(8).JPG 113k .JPG file photo(9).JPG 120k .JPG file

I just want a very basic system but I want/need to get the wires in now. Is there anyway I an run the wires now even though I'm not sure what touch screen I will get? Which wires should I run? Two Cat 6 cables? Do most touchscreens get plugged in at there location or are they hardwired? Thanks very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(8).JPG (113.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo(9).JPG (120.4 KB, 3 views)

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM

Liked: 11
Most touchscreens have or are moving to PoE (Power over Ethernet). If you use an in-wall iPod / iPad dock, options exist to power over cat5 cable. So cat6 is a sensible option. Might not hurt to run a 2-conductor (16/2) either.

Keep in mind that (for the most part) the touchscreen is just the user-facing part of a control system. The touchpanel will store GUI graphics and communicate button-presses and actions back to a head-end processing unit; maybe it can also receive video and other feedback from that control system processor. But the actual communication to and from av equipment, lights, shades, & thermostats is managed by a control system processor. The touchscreen is not the central hub of the system.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks. Can you recommend a simple solution/brand that I can DIY for a touchscreen and the processor. Maybe something under 500-600 dollars?What about this?

http://www.homeseer.com/support/newsletters/current-promo.htm

beau
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page