AVS Forum banner

Ipad as wall mount touchscreen

43K views 80 replies 45 participants last post by  R3dBull 
#1 ·
I know the iPad is a MOBILE device but I am really set on having something wall mounted and think this mY satisfy my needs for ac control mostly. I have been reading/researching on here about different touchscreen HA options e.g. Lutron, Homeseer, control 4 etc. But they are somewhat involved and expensive. Has anyone here us an IPad as I suggested? Are they mounts that can enabled the IPad to be removed? It needs to be charged/updated so I would need to run the wires to the iPad for this. All my walls are open now for the next few days.... Thanks.

#28 ·
Unusual height for the touchscreen, at switch level. Next to a chair, or kitchen table? Kid height?

Really nice looking mount!

#29 ·
I use it to control my radiora2 system (lights and hvac) and with roomie remote to control living room entertainment works good to quick browse shows on directv. use it with airplay to stream spotify or iTunes works like a jukebox! I use it to browse my cameras to see what's going on around my home as well. I have one in that area one in theater and one mobile that I use. It was a lot of extra money buying 3 ipads and mounts but the end result I love!

#31 ·
Have a quick question guys. Can you keep your iPad or any android pad on when mounted on the wall only to turn off at night, turning off meaning sleep mode or the mode when the tablet need to be awakened with the push of the button. Will it cause the tablet to go bad if it is turned on all the time during day time? Does any one keep it turned on screen mode all the time?

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikjoe  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen#post_23107301

(TRUFIG) People who balked at the $500 iPort mount ... hold onto your breeches. This iPad is likely to cost more than $2,000, like iPort's other touchscreen mounts.

to me that's insanity! I mean yes it looks better but for 10x as much money as I paid!

There are folks who visit this site that aren't DIY integrator's. People building homes who are interested in product's that may be a fit for their new home.

Price may be your main consideration Joe but it isn't for everyone. Imagine working for an integration company that works on 20,000 square foot homes. Then imagine walking in to an Architect's office and showing them a product that will flush mount all of the electronic interface devices. That's Trufig. Then imagine selling your first $100,000 Trufig project. It's great revenue!

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikjoe  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen/30#post_23126794

seems like a waste of energy, component life, to do that and I don't know how you would accomplish that. you could physically turn it off at night by pushing button and set sleep to never.

Makes sense.. thanks for your reply.

ANyone knows of an app on android and ios both that can enable the screen to turn on when tapped on the screen? I have the samsung galaxy tab 10" mounted on the wall, and to turn it on each time i have to push around the sides.

#36 ·
#38 ·
price isn't my first consideration at all but 2000 dollars for a mount for a 500 dollar ipad just seems silly. I agree they look better but I need to feel the value in any product I buy and it's just not there for me. I paid 3000 for a brand new pioneer elite 141 plasma which was one of the best plasmas ever built. 60" monitor 3k vs ipad mount 2k. I understand there are people that would snatch that up but my entire radiora 2 system set me back only 3k. different strokes for different folks. I do understand the revenue end of it i'm in sales.

#39 ·
We like the Crestron docks because you can easily remove the iPad while still leaving it in the wall. Here's a quick pic of one of our installs.

http://www.residentialsystemsinc.com/gallery/?album=1&gallery=16

Don't expect a dock for the ipad mini or the iPad4 anytime soon. The new lighting pin connector is a totally different licensing model from Apple and it is going to take a long time for these docks to hit the market.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisleo  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen/30#post_23158327

We like the Crestron docks because you can easily remove the iPad while still leaving it in the wall. Here's a quick pic of one of our installs.

http://www.residentialsystemsinc.com/gallery/?album=1&gallery=16

Don't expect a dock for the ipad mini or the iPad4 anytime soon. The new lighting pin connector is a totally different licensing model from Apple and it is going to take a long time for these docks to hit the market.

Is that your opinion or based on inside knowledge? The crestron website has listed the ipad mini doc as "coming soon", albeit for quite some time know. I called their design showroom and was told around April but who knows if that is accurate . Certainly anxious to get a few of the mini mounts though if it takes much longer I might just go with the tsw touchscreens.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen/30#post_23159424

The crestron website has listed the ipad mini doc as "coming soon", albeit for quite some time know.
Where on the Crestron website do you see the ipad mini doc as "coming soon"?

In the "Future Product Release Schedule" in the dealer section of Crestrons web site it does not list any iPad doc. It's not even in the "Release Date: TBA" section and it is certainly not in the "April Release" section of product release schedule.

As Travisleo stated
Quote:
as this is the case.

Just an FYI.

#43 ·
 http://www.crestron.com/products/apple_mac_iphone_ipod_ipad_control/

scroll down, grey box states "As you probably already know, the iPad mini is not only smaller than the iPad, but also uses a different connector. New Crestron in-wall and tabletop docks for iPad mini are in development and are coming soon. Be on the lookout for details and availability. " Also, in the compatibility table on that site it list ipad4 and mini as "coming soon"

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen/30#post_23159573

http://www.crestron.com/products/apple_mac_iphone_ipod_ipad_control/

scroll down, grey box states "As you probably already know, the iPad mini is not only smaller than the iPad, but also uses a different connector. New Crestron in-wall and tabletop docks for iPad mini are in development and are coming soon. Be on the lookout for details and availability. " Also, in the compatibility table on that site it list ipad4 and mini as "coming soon"

Got ya. That is the "Marketing" from Crestron. As I stated in my previous post, it's not even on the "Future Product Release Schedule." I would not hold my breath for a 4th Gen iPad or iPad Mini in-wall doc "Coming Soon."

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen/30#post_23166581

Here is a ipad mini wall mount

http://www.vidabox.com/products_ipad_mini_wall_frame_mount.php
But you can not charge it in wall which is a bummer.

The Vidabox site states you can charge the iPAD Mini using iPCX kit which uses CAT5/5e/6 cable to USB conversion. This will not work as the iPad Mini uses Apples Lighting connector and nowhere on Vidabox site does it show or state that it uses Apples Lighting connector.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen/30#post_23166699

But you can not charge it in wall which is a bummer.

The Vidabox site states you can charge the iPAD Mini using iPCX kit which uses CAT5/5e/6 cable to USB conversion. This will not work as the iPad Mini uses Apples Lighting connector and nowhere on Vidabox site does it show or state that it uses Apples Lighting connector.

You can charge a mini with that. The mini uses a lightning connector, but it's still just USB on the other end.

The vidabox website has a compatibility chart, and the iPad mini is clearly listed as compatible with their charging solution.

#49 ·
Have you considered the LaunchPort?

From their website:
Quote:
LaunchPort is a revolutionary way to mount and charge your iPad, virtually anywhere. The LaunchPort system consists of a Sleeve and any number of Stations. A Sleeve is a case that fits onto your iPad. A Station is the mount and charging unit that interacts with a Sleeve. A system requires a Sleeve and a Station.

LaunchPort uses induction which means as soon as a Sleeve is mounted to a Station, charging begins immediately- without a 30-pin cable or conductive elements. Magnets are used to mount and affix your iPad in its Sleeve to a Station. The tabletop BaseStation only uses some of the magnets in the LaunchPort system, making it easier to grab and go. The WallStation uses all magnets in the system for secure and safe mounting. The magnets are located on the Sleeve case which means you can also mount it to any metallic surface like a refrigerator or work bench.

I'm waiting for the iPad4 compatible version which is expected to ship in June...

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mludviksen  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen/30#post_23326566

Have you considered the LaunchPort?

From their website:

I'm waiting for the iPad4 compatible version which is expected to ship in June...

I think I'm going to do the launchports. I like that you can easily pull it off the wall. It'd be a great place to mount the living room ipad/remote. walk in the room and pull it off the wall. put it back to charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.