AVS Forum banner

Ipad as wall mount touchscreen

43K views 80 replies 45 participants last post by  R3dBull 
#1 ·
I know the iPad is a MOBILE device but I am really set on having something wall mounted and think this mY satisfy my needs for ac control mostly. I have been reading/researching on here about different touchscreen HA options e.g. Lutron, Homeseer, control 4 etc. But they are somewhat involved and expensive. Has anyone here us an IPad as I suggested? Are they mounts that can enabled the IPad to be removed? It needs to be charged/updated so I would need to run the wires to the iPad for this. All my walls are open now for the next few days.... Thanks.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I would really like it to be recessed/flush mounted. Wonder if they make some sort of bracket like that. Can an iPad mini be used just the same? Most of the frames seem to be for iPad and not mini. Are there limitations, besides screen size, for the mini? It does have Wifi.

#6 ·
Vidabox makes an iPad mini mount, but not flush.

Cocoontech has a searchable database for iPad mounts.

Vidabox also makes a remote charging system which uses category cable.

Vidabox's mounts are as thin as picture frames.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbone  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen#post_23050975

ive got a 10m usb cable attached, running back through the wall to a 5v usb charger in an AV closet ... works perfectly

Where did you buy that? Thanks

#11 ·
i want to mount my ipad recessed/flush on the wall(would really like a mount(not surface) that will enable me to "pop" the ipad out if I wanted to. I

m looking for ideas on where to run the usb to so I will have charging and updating capabilities. Just pop it out near an outlet? I know Vidabox has the Vcharger but I still need to mount the usb unit close to the ipad as I need to run the cable from the unit to the ipad so the USB can't be too long.

This looks good but what happens when I need to update my ipad if I can't readily remove it from the wall? If I run a usb a short length through the wall near a power outlet this will be ok but I'm not getting where the wire would end up near the outlet.....like I said before.....just hanging out? No......maybe a foot or two coiled in a box with a removable cover next to it.

http://www.vidabox.com/products_vcharger_moreimages_08.html

#12 ·
#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen#post_23052737

That Vidabox vCharger allows the power to be extended over category cable - power cable converted from USB to category cable. IIRC, can extend to 60 feet. That blue cable running into the wall, in this pic, is a category cable.

I'm no apple expert, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to physically connect the iPad to a PC anymore for updates - wireless updates.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163060/up_close_with_ios_5_wireless_syncing_and_updating.html

Thanks. I know it is POE. My dilemma is getting the USB connected to my mac if I have the ipad recessed(pretty much fixed) in the wall.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen#post_23053008

Thanks. I know it is POE. My dilemma is getting the USB connected to my mac if I have the ipad recessed(pretty much fixed) in the wall.

Why do you need to connect the USB to your mac? You can use wireless sync and the iPad can install its own software updates. Unless you are worried about jailbreak it probably isn't necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen#post_23051105

Vidabox's mounts are as thin as picture frames.

Fixed.

#15 ·
Hehe, yeah. But very nice picture frames, I might add.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Crestron dock looks very sweet. Want a iPad mini dock though(Crestron says its coming soon)....sh$@? I do have the iPad 1(lol I know...only use it for Internet)..... should/could I use that or is it too old thus might have limitations as a controller?

#19 ·
to me the crestron looks like crap! i'm using two of the iport docks that i'm totally in love with. you would loose the ability to take ipad with you vs on walls. I have two installed one in family room area and one in theater. I run an assortment of apps mainly lutron home control and roomie remote. I use It as well with spotify to use as a juke box for my Marantz av 7005 with airplay! http://www.amazon.com/iPort-CMIW2000-Control-Mount-White/dp/B0046LWK3E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362774473&sr=1-2&keywords=iport

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikjoe  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen#post_23057618

to me the crestron looks like crap! i'm using two of the iport docks that i'm totally in love with. you would loose the ability to take ipad with you vs on walls. I have two installed one in family room area and one in theater. I run an assortment of apps mainly lutron home control and roomie remote. I use It as well with spotify to use as a juke box for my Marantz av 7005 with airplay! http://www.amazon.com/iPort-CMIW2000-Control-Mount-White/dp/B0046LWK3E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362774473&sr=1-2&keywords=iport

I like it. Is the ipad esily removable from the mount/case? Are they going to make on for the mini? Thanks.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer  /t/1462031/ipad-as-wall-mount-touchscreen#post_23059062

I like it. Is the ipad esily removable from the mount/case? Are they going to make on for the mini? Thanks.

Yes, you can easily take the ipad out of the case, but there isn't really a point. It doesn't add that much bulk to it.

Their website says the mini sleeve is "coming soon" -- whatever that means. They also say the iPad 4 sleeve is "coming soon" and the iPad 4 has been out for a long while now -- likely they are having issues with the lightning port. So who knows how long it will take.

#25 ·
I wish I could talk my wife into spending the money on Trufig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.