post #31 of 43 Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanSanchez View Post

I've been following this thread for a while, and I'm glad to see a few people get them working well. Definitely on my to-do list for the house. Anybody know how much bandwidth they use over the LAN at different resolutions? I saw 8 Mbps in the OP, but I would imagine it would be way less at lower resolutions.
It's user set per camera- the range is from 28Kbps to 6Mbps per camera.
I have stream 1 set at 1920X1080 15 FPS @ 4Mbps
I have stream 2 set at 640X480 5 FPS @ 256Kbps

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Ok, thanks.... I'll have to see what happens when I try to add their cameras.

Our ADI store "may" have the cameras by tomorrow- but more likely next Mon or Tues.
I've got the temporary server built (Quad core AMD CPU, Win 7 Ultimate X64, 8Gb ram, 60Gb SSD boot/OS drive, two 2TB drives for storage) the ACTi NVR Server software is installed, the ZyXEL ES1100-16 16 port PoE switch is here- just waiting on the 5mp cams now.... frown.gif

Quote:

Picked up the five ACTi E33 HD IP (5mp) cams yesterday.
Configured them for our 10.10.10.xxx network - they all needed re-focusing- as was expected, it was very simple.
Awesome feed from these cams. I set up one that covers our front counter area- the resolution is so good I can visually ID people walking by outside our front window now! biggrin.gif
Excellent cams!

replayrob-

Let me know when you get the cams up and running with the ACTi NVR software...I am interested to see what you think about it!

I am running 8 ACTi cams myself (home) and could never get the NVR software to work as designed....(especially on motion / night day scheduling / etc).

Nice cams...but not a big fan of the software. I am deciding on a new NVR solution and kind of leaning towards Blue Iris.
post #33 of 43 Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael View Post

replayrob-

Let me know when you get the cams up and running with the ACTi NVR software...I am interested to see what you think about it!

I am running 8 ACTi cams myself (home) and could never get the NVR software to work as designed....(especially on motion / night day scheduling / etc).

Nice cams...but not a big fan of the software. I am deciding on a new NVR solution and kind of leaning towards Blue Iris.
Actually, I've had the ACTi NVR software up and running w/two cams for about a week now on a temporary computer.
For freeware it's pretty robust IMO.

So far in the one week trial period- I only really have two ACTi NVR software issues that I'm not thrilled about:
1) There is no "drag the pointer/super duper fast forward mode" that lets you see recorded video as fast as you can drag the pointer across the time line. Sometimes I like to blast through a full hour in a few seconds till I see what I'm looking for.
2) Motion Detection- it actually works fine, but I'm used to a system that dumps the video between periods of inactivity rather than how the ACTi NVR software keeps recording all the time 24/7 and simply marks the timeline with blue bars when it sees motion. If it dumped the motionless periods like our current DVR software did- it would allow for many many more hours of recording on the 4Tb hard drive.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #34 of 43 Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

It's user set per camera- the range is from 28Kbps to 6Mbps per camera.
I have stream 1 set at 1920X1080 15 FPS @ 4Mbps
I have stream 2 set at 640X480 5 FPS @ 256Kbps

Thanks for the response! I can see that having a few 1080 feeds running at once would chew up bandwidth and HDD space. Good to know that they are easily configurable though.

post #35 of 43 Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanSanchez View Post

Thanks for the response! I can see that having a few 1080 feeds running at once would chew up bandwidth and HDD space. Good to know that they are easily configurable though.
Yes, but most decent networks using switches (not old school hubs) can easily handle the traffic fairly easily.

As far as hard drive space- the free ACTi NVR software keeps recording all the time and simply displays a blue spike on the recording timeline where it noticed motion. Because of this inability to cease recording during no-motion periods it was using about 1GB of disk space per 35min period per camera. That works out to around 41GB per cam per day. We're starting out with 5 hd cams so we would fill about 205GB per day on the 4TB hard drive, so I figure with overhead, formatting, etc... that would give me about 17 days of storage for all cams.

Yesterday I installed the commercial DVR software Blue Iris (free to try for 15 days- $49 to purchase license for unlimited cameras) thanks to M1chael for reminding me about it!
It has a lot more features than the free ACTi NVR software- including the ability to stop recording during no-motion periods. That feature alone makes it worth purchasing. I just viewed the whole 5pm-8am overnight period in our front lobby area in less that 60 seconds- and it only took 250MB on the hard drive! That same period using the ACTi software would have taken up about 25GB.

post #36 of 43 Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Picked up the five ACTi E33 HD IP (5mp) cams yesterday.
Configured them for our 10.10.10.xxx network - they all needed re-focusing- as was expected, it was very simple.
Awesome feed from these cams. I set up one that covers our front counter area- the resolution is so good I can visually ID people walking by outside our front window now! biggrin.gif
Excellent cams!

i was wondering how much the cams ran you a piece
post #37 of 43 Old 05-11-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djemil View Post

i was wondering how much the cams ran you a piece
We told our local ADI store we found them on the net for $300 each, so they matched that price (reluctantly).
We we went to pick them up- they wanted $360 each- so we said "send em back- we'll buy them off the internet", my guy actually started heading for the door-they then honored their original offer.
They're excellent cameras!

post #38 of 43 Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27

So you seem to prefer Blue Iris over the free Acti software due to the motion record - but, is there anything missing in Blue Iris that the NVR 3.0 has?  In other words, is it a tradeoff in features in some way or is Blue Iris simply superior overall in your opinion?

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #39 of 43 Old 05-11-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

So you seem to prefer Blue Iris over the free Acti software due to the motion record - but, is there anything missing in Blue Iris that the NVR 3.0 has?  In other words, is it a tradeoff in features in some way or is Blue Iris simply superior overall in your opinion?
I can't really find any faults with Blue Iris- I'll buy the $49 Pro license Monday.
I haven't tried out all it's features- yet- but even it's web server seems to work well.
The lack of motion only recording is probably the deal breaker for me with the ACTi software. Sometimes I do have to look at 8-12hrs of video for the job, with motion only recording in Blue Iris I can get through 10 hrs in under 2min, with the ACTi software it would probably take a half hr or more- and remember- the ACTi software doesn't have a live display drag pointer so you can rush through archived footage at 60-120-240 speed, etc... you have to find the blue motion spikes- watch the video- drag to the next set of spikes, watch the video,.... on an on..

post #40 of 43 Old 05-11-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27

Thanks.  BTW, you can get a license on ebay for about $39.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #41 of 43 Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Thanks.  BTW, you can get a license on ebay for about $39.
Thanks... had to get it directly from BlueIris as it's for the business and they told me the accountant hates when I get things through Ebay.
I even have it recording an old Panasonic BL-C10A pan & tilt webcam that I placed in our building's front window a few years back! The buleIris software is very versatile.

post #42 of 43 Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is it true that the motion detection on Blue Iris is a 'software' feature in the sense that the software is constantly running the camera and only storing the feed when it sees something move? Basically the issue I'm trying to address is, I want motion detection but I don't want to tax my server (i3 build) as I didn't build it to handle surveillance. I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a stand alone NVR that can backup to the server, or hope the server can handle it. Ideally I'd like everything Blur Iris does, but I want the cameras to decide for themselves if there is motion or not.
post #43 of 43 Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Is it true that the motion detection on Blue Iris is a 'software' feature in the sense that the software is constantly running the camera and only storing the feed when it sees something move? Basically the issue I'm trying to address is, I want motion detection but I don't want to tax my server (i3 build) as I didn't build it to handle surveillance. I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a stand alone NVR that can backup to the server, or hope the server can handle it. Ideally I'd like everything Blur Iris does, but I want the cameras to decide for themselves if there is motion or not.
In the case of the ACTi cams- you can set up motion zones in the camera- once activated iit can trigger actions- like sending out video.
Seems a bit complex to set up because there are many things you have to setup before you get there- but here's the event page..

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page