Power Failure Recovery - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering how various systems respond to power outages. In particular, how they deal with recovery from a timed event that occurs during the outage.

I have been able to "confirm" that Lutron controllers continue to "function" during the outage, and when the power recovers:

• Lights return to their previous setting. (On/Off/Dimmed)
  • Any missed timer events that occured during the outage are sent out.
  • Thus, within a short time, the lights should be in the appropriate state for that time of day.
  • E.g. if a light was on prior to the power outage, and should have gone off during the outage, it will come on when the power returns, then be turned off by the controller.

Does anyone know how the other major systems (Control4, Creston, Savant, etc...) behave in this situation? For my needs, I would want the same recovery as Lutron - i.e. that lights end up in the condition they SHOULD be at that time.

Appreciate any help.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Control4 dimmers/switches remember where they were before the power failure.

It's always recommended to have your controller, Ethernet switch and router on a UPS. We install a UPS with all automation projects.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dawn,

Thanks. I would certainly want the controller on a UPS. Do you know if there is any mechanism to get the Control4 controller to send out the missed timer events after recovery from the powerfailure? (Or to send out an update so that the state of the lights will match the internal state in the controller - i.e., the controller sent out an off command to a light that could not receive it because it had no power; the controller thinks that light is off, but when the power comes back, it comes back in the on setting.)

Thanks again,

Paul
post #4 of 4 Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Paul,

It might be possible to write programming that will recognize a power failure and resend the commands. I've never tried it though and I would have to test it out.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page