Multiple dimmer switch remote-control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm building a home theater with 3 different dimmable light zones. I'm looking for dimmable switches and 1 single remote to to be able to independently control all 3 different switches. I would like to be able to adjust each zone without affecting the others. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 12
What type of lights? Zwave is a great way to go, GE dimmer switch model 45612 can be used and controlled separately with a GE 45600, 45601, or 45608 remote. Of course the GE models are compatible with all other Zwave products so u have many choices. Be careful using LEDs or low voltage as they can be tricky, make sure to use the right type of dimmer in these cases. Incandescents r no problem. Also be sure to use three masters for separate control of each zone. Hope that helps!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
Great info haworld. GE looks like a good option. Do you happen to know if the Zwave lights can be controlled by a harmony a/v remote? I'd like to be able to intergate everything into a single remote. While I'm asking, any info on a good universal remote (a/v & lights)? Looked at the new Harmony Touch - but have read mixed reveiws.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Liked: 12
bobrob5,

As far as I know, only the Harmony 890 & 890 Pro models are compatible with z wave so if you have one of those you are fine. Some older models used to have zwave built into them but all but the 890 have had zwave removed from them. Now that Logitech has decided to drop or sell their remote control products, there won't ever be a new zwave harmony remote, and that includes the new Touch.

My favorite remote (non zwave but x-10 and insteon compatible) was the MX500 theatre master but it is IR only so you need an ir-powerline converter to make it work with x-10. You could do something similar with z-wave if you used an ir-rf converter, however, my current remote is one which I would recommend, the Model 45608 Theatre Remote from GE - (in the interest of full disclosure, I am a zwave retailer and sell these products online). I like the 45608 because it does everything I need it to for my a/v equipment including zwave lighting and scenes but when used with my ir-plc converter I can still control x-10 and insteon with it as well.

This remote is the first time I have actually been able to eliminate ALL other remotes, and believe me I have been using and programming remotes for almost 10 years now, have literally 30-40 in my office and have used them all. A close second fav is the X-10 Icon remotes but again they are not zwave, just x-10.

In a nutshell I think if you have the Harmony 890 you are good to go, if not try the GE 45608. As far as other remotes, the Nevo Q50, Monster AVL300 are two that are zwave compatible, Leviton makes one that can do zwave AND control a few learned ir commands, and Wayne Dalton made a zwave A/V remote similar to the GE 45608 but I think they are discontinued as is the 45608 (they are both still available for sale though). You could also try an IR to Zwave RF converter but I am not familiar with them.

Another possible solution is using PC and/or iphone/android software with a program like HomeSeer or Mi Casa Verde's Vera3 or VeraLite controllers. I have used both and with an IR emitter/receiver you can do almost anything in any protocol.

Regards
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 11
Control4 uses zigbee and we have installed just that type of scenario. One theater in specific the client had 4 bays of lighting that he wanted to control separately and we also had lighting scenes programmed that would control all 4 lighting bays at once.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Insteon Switchlinc x 3 + Mini Remote x 1

You just missed the 20% off sale. frown.gif

Similar pricing to the GE Z-Wave (<$200 for everything).
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page