iPad/Tablet Wall Mounting Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to compile information for use so that I can hopefully find a better product than what I have. My ultimate goal would be to flush mount my iPad in the wall with a power source and be able to pop the iPad out if wanted, though the solutions that do that are a few hundred dollars. So what I'm going to do is start a list with the item name, website, USD purchase price, and a picture. If you have any other info to contribute let me know.

Threads/Links
iPad as wall mount touchscreen
Cocoon Tech Website
DIY Link

iPad Mounts
  1. Channel Vision On-Wall Docking Station - $165

2. LOXONE iPad Mount - $40 (ships from Europe)

3. Vidabox - Various (no iPad 1) - $100

4. ProClip Wall Mount Holder (There are other mounts from ProClip too - $50

5. Wallee / Studio Proper Wall Mount System - $50 (includes cost of the wall mount disc)

6. iPort - Control Mount - $595 (Couldn't find a good link on their website so listing Best Buy retail)

7. Crestron in-wall iPad Dock - Not really sure on price or where to get, this one lists it at $370

8. Savant In-Wall Dock - $$$???

9. iRoom iDock Alu Portrait - No idea on price

10. Trufig - Again not sure on price

11. Koala iPad Mount - $20

12. iPort LaunchPort System - ($350)

Universal Tablet Mounts
ProClips Makes some
Wallee Makes some
Koala Above is universal

"Kiosk" Mode
So I wanted to also make the device somewhat user friendly and in a way "secure" so that if I have people over the "Remote" application will always be there and so someone might not accidentally screw something up. To do this you have to jailbreak your iPad then install the following:
  1. NoLockScreen - Disables the lockscreen entirely so that the device can be brought back from sleep with just the home button and you don't need to swipe to unlock the screen
  2. AppLocker - Allows you to enable a password for any application. Essentially for this iPad, I enabled AppLocker on every app but Remote, Safari, & Weather
  3. IncarcerApp - Allows you to set a hot key so that you can "lock" an app, further, once an app is locked, you can disable the sleep button and the home screen button. This way someone can't power cycle the device or get out of the app. To get out of the app, you just double-tap a special area of the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
iPort looks the best and is available for $300. But I would be tempted to DIY with one of the clip mounts and a custom faceplate out of laser cut material. Not sure what I would do for the backer box though.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I was discussing with a friend some possibilities for this, it seems like it would be completely feasible to get a bracket in the wall then fix a case to the bracket for the iPad. I haven't come across any that have been done and haven't done much research on cases that are out there. I'm just starting with the Koala one since it's cheap and simple to install. I couldn't decide on anything else and just wanted to get it up there with something. I'm pretty sure I can cover the blue backing with another color.
post #4 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM

Liked: 12
The two best that we have used are the Launchport and the Crestron in-wall dock (the picture in the original post is actually from one of our installations). While they are expensive, you get what you pay for.

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
post #5 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
ive got the loxone mount

pros:
- simple to install
- easy on and off
- clean look / thinnest bezel option / unobtrusive
- cheap

cons:
- if you knocked it hard the ipad would fall out and onto the floor
post #6 of 15 Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
The iPort products are awesome, but if I were going for near flush with removable, then I would go with this:
http://www.launchport.com/

The Launchport is actually an iPort product, but I absolutely love the inductive charging and the complete on/off ease of use. You can put up a wall charging unit and put your iPad into a sleeve and then just slap it up on your wall. Rotate it portrait or landscape as you choose. The magnet is the right amount of strong without making it impossible to remove the iPad from the wall station.

Yes, it does protrude, but it is well under an inch and is more like a photo on the wall. I'm sure that there are ways to customize this to get it more 'flush', but it may make it difficult to take off the wall.

Just my $.02 on things.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm Launchport looks nice but yeah a little spendy, also there is no case for the iPad 1G it looks like.

Here's the Koala Mount:
post #8 of 15 Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Yeah, no iPad1 version for LaunchPort, and I wouldn't hold my breath for one. But, the inductive charging is really nice and the fact that it is upgradable as your iPad changes to new products is really cool. Potentially, they could make sleeves for it in the future which would work with a Samsung tablet or other products is also a really cool thing. I've hands-on tested one and it is by far my favorite as being a professional 'high-end' product. But, I don't own one. WHY? Yep! It's pricey! smile.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Yeah, no iPad1 version for LaunchPort, and I wouldn't hold my breath for one. But, the inductive charging is really nice and the fact that it is upgradable as your iPad changes to new products is really cool. Potentially, they could make sleeves for it in the future which would work with a Samsung tablet or other products is also a really cool thing. I've hands-on tested one and it is by far my favorite as being a professional 'high-end' product. But, I don't own one. WHY? Yep! It's pricey! smile.gif

Yeah I just called them, no ipad 1. And so far, no Nexus 7 Android. I guess a used iPad2 for $300 and this kit which you can find both pieces for around $325 make for a $625 wallmounted touch screen.

I was going to try this for the living room, a place to charge the ipad, but as you walk in you can grab it, sit down and use it as the remote. Whether Control4 or iRUle this would be pretty good as a remote to control shades, lighting, and TV etc.

Even as a place for the kids to be able to charge their iPads.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-28-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Great thread. Time to research for my build. Thanks for the head start
post #11 of 15 Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 79
Basalte 'Eve'

Europe only, currently.

pdf brochure: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.basalte.be%2Fdata%2Fpdf%2Feve_brochure.pdf&ei=OehGUr-3Fa_YyQGIsoDACQ&usg=AFQjCNFrqk0NhQPw8XTmzgtCGmYodW8AKA&sig2=hSu-SleNcwfSsya_yiBnMA

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #12 of 15 Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 79
Smart-Things sDock

From Europe.

http://www.smart-things.com/en/sdock-pro.html

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #13 of 15 Old 09-28-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbone View Post

ive got the loxone mount

pros:
- simple to install
- easy on and off
- clean look / thinnest bezel option / unobtrusive
- cheap

cons:
- if you knocked it hard the ipad would fall out and onto the floor

I hate imagining the ipad falling. My #1 ipad rule (and only rule generally) is don't drop it.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 PM

If anyone is looking for a DIY solution for an Android tablet, see mine here with inductive charging and very minimal equipment on the wall:

http://www.controlmypad.com/projects.html

It also holds my iPad2 (see bottom of page in above link), but only as a holder (Apple hasn't caught on to joys of the inductive charging yet) since I added a strip of steel internally for the magnets to grab onto.

I may have been able to shave off the "ledge" as some have asked me, allowing only magnets to hold the tablet, but the "ledge" marks where the tablet goes and provided that extra bit of support so I never have to worry about it dropping.

post #15 of 15 Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady_ View Post

If anyone is looking for a DIY solution for an Android tablet, see mine here with inductive charging and very minimal equipment on the wall:

http://www.controlmypad.com/projects.html

It also holds my iPad2 (see bottom of page in above link), but only as a holder (Apple hasn't caught on to joys of the inductive charging yet) since I added a strip of steel internally for the magnets to grab onto.

I may have been able to shave off the "ledge" as some have asked me, allowing only magnets to hold the tablet, but the "ledge" marks where the tablet goes and provided that extra bit of support so I never have to worry about it dropping.

Love it! Nice work and thanks for sharing.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page