Ipad app set up for lutron homeworks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

Can anybody help me out? im trying to set up an ipad for the first time to communicate with my 8 series processor via the lutron app.
I have enabled dhcp in the properties box of the processor and web enabled the keypads i wish to see in the app what next? as when i search for the processor in new system setup it cant find it?
my router is connected to the processor via ethernet and if i log into the router on line it shows me the mac address of the processor so i presume the two are able to communicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I wasn't aware that an 8-series processor could be controlled directly with a Lutron app. You may want to research that. Call Lutron tech support, 24/7/365.

There are many 3rd party apps that could be used, if the Lutron app doesn't work natively, but they involve some configuring - iRule, Roomie Remote, and Command Fusion are a few.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 16 Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply...
The app is called Lutron home + and your able to take control of the processor.
Where I'm stuck is that although I'm connected from my processor to router I'm unable to find it using the tcp/ip wizard in the terminal page.
There is an option to add an IP address however I'm not great with network stuff so unsure what address to enter here?
Thanks again
post #4 of 16 Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if this will help, but it may be worth reading:

Lutron Application Note #231 Rev C

This doc explains how to with RA2, should be similar with the 8-series processor:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEkQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hillresi.com%2FPDFS%2FRA%25202%2520iPad%2520iPhone%2520iPod%2520touch%2520App%2520guide%2520-%2520revF.pdf&ei=LNGTUceULcPU0gGeg4G4Ag&usg=AFQjCNEKT-U1eJNLshTEZ45pOkZ2eaSA_Q&sig2=2HW69V3sYEBDvcyfTUiMAA&bvm=bv.46471029,d.dmQ

You probably already have this doc, the Lutron Home Control Remote Access FAQ.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 16 Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if you have this doc, either, App Note #244, Controlling a Lutron HomeWorks system from Apple...

post #6 of 16 Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for this...
Forgetting the app for the minute how do I setup the processor for wireless programming? Via my router if I can do this I may be able to sort the app issue?
I go into the terminal screen then I select communications and select LAN this then starts the tcp/ip wizard.
From here it brings up a screen that searches for my processor but says no processors discovered?
In my processors properties box I have dhcp enabled is this right or do I need to un tick and enter my processors IP here?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

How much time and effort do you want to put into this project?

How much do you think a local HomeWorks dealer would charge to set this up?

Either put the time in, or call someone. I think the answers are in the documents I Iinked, but it will take time to figure out. If you don't have the time and motivation, call someone.

post #8 of 16 Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again neurorad..
How much time and effort do you want to put into this project?

Time, about 3 years now self building the house and the level of effort is as much as practically possible whilst working full time commuting 1000 miles a week and looking after a young family.

How much do you think a local HomeWorks dealer would charge to set this up?

Don't know haven't phoned one moneys not an issue.

Either put the time in, or call someone. I think the answers are in the documents I Iinked, but it will take time to figure out. If you don't have the time and motivation, call someone.

The first doc talks about using the tcp/ip wizard which I explained wont find my processor.
The second doc talks about VPN however I don't need access outside of the house but thanks anyway
The other doc talks about ra2 which is different to the illumination software I'm using but again thanks anyway
As for motivation if I didn't have any I wouldn't be on this forum asking for help or guidance And i would have given my bank details over the phone to someone and still been non the wiser.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Success at last...
iPad is now in control.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-18-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear.

That last doc I linked, for RA2, says to use a static IP for the processor. If it stops working, try that.

post #11 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 01:15 PM

I'm having the same issue using the Illumination software and attempting to connect it to my router in the tcp/ip wizard. How were you able to get it to work?

Much appreciated
post #12 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Greg

It's been a while but I'll try and help you out....
Are you able to connect to your processor directly via rs232? Do you know the current IP address of the processor?

Cheers

J
post #13 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the offer. It sounds like I am trying to do the same thing you struggled through. I have done several updates and I am able to connect via rs232 with no issues. I would like to use an iPad to control the scenes at the house.

In the TCP/IP setup wizard, if I connect my computer and the processor to the router, it doesn't find or see the Lutron processor. Neither of ethernet lights on the Lutron board light up or react. If I connect my computer directly to the Lutron processor, it discovers the processor along with the IP address but it won't actually connect to it.

Thanks again for your offer. Any points in the right direction would be appreciated.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Greg

Try this... In the addressing screen in the bottom right corner the processors details are displayed. If you tick the properties box it will allow you to now turn off dhcp and manually enter an IP address for the processor. 192.168.1.? What ever you choose. Once changed here hit save top left of screen and then in the terminal screen upload the database to the processor.... You should get the confirmation of the change of ip? Now re run the wizard or add the new IP address to the edit screen in the iPad app!
Hope this works for you?
post #15 of 16 Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM

How are you getting on?

There was a problem with Windows explorer 11 that stopped all ftp connections and uploads which Lutron resolved with an update.

Andrew

post #16 of 16 Old 05-07-2014, 03:27 PM

I finally got around to troubleshooting it. I was able to figure it out. The TCP/IP tells you to use a straight through ethernet cable when connecting the processor to the router. I couldn't connect to it with a straight through cable. When I switched it to a crossover ethernet cable, it worked right way and I was up and running with my iPad and iPhone. A bit frustrating but in the end it works now. Next up would be to configure remote access through VPN.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page