Home automation quote - please look - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Here is the quote we received: I have a ton of questions...

I would like to know what would you change in it? To me it seems redundant to have the ipod dock. iport, and Fusion Research Music streamer.
The house has been prewired to have music playing in different rooms of the house, with a 5.1 system in the family room for TV, and a 7.1 in the media room.
Couldn't you just do the whole house in Lutron and not 2 different manufacturers for the lighting control/hvac? Would Lutron work with Elan or RTI?
Wouldn't the RTI system be a heck of a lot more inexpensive for the same features?
Why are they charging me $700 for each license agreement thru Elan, seems redundant.
Ive already been advised that the URC controllers they choose were crap, and to go with the RTI T2C+.
What are better Wyrestorm or Zuum Balun IR meters?
Would I even need Balun meters if I bought 50ft Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology ?
I really like the Speco Intensifier cameras but I want to change them over to domes.
The Denon 1613 receiver I heard is crap compared to the 3313 and to go with that. If that's the case, would that eliminate any of the other components?
Also regarding the rack, our system is going into a closet we have an exhaust fan in. Is a rack really necessary or couldn't you do the wire rack system from lowes? I had that previously and it worked out great, we were able to access components easily and it didn't break the bank. Any suggestions would be helpful for any of the quote, thank you for your time.

Audio system

1 Elan G TS2 Interactive touch pad

4pr Niles OS7.3 150 Watt Outdoor Speakers

POOL :

1 Elan G Pro Application Software License (Pool Interface)
1 Customers existing pool equipment

AUDIO EQUIP:

1 Elan Home System HC6 Processor (Iphone, Ipad interface)
1 Elan G M86A 8 source / 6 zone Int. MR Audio control and amp
1 Elan TS7 7" Color LCD Touchscreen
2 Elan G Viewer License (non-Elan user interface device)
1 Fusion Research Ovation Music Stream (OMS1)
1 Niles FM-1 Cabinet cooling fan w/ t-stat
1 Free standing iPod dock station w/ 2-way feedback and RS-232
1 Intellinet 8 Port network Switch

Lighting Control:

garage

1 PCS Master dimming/switching UPB wall switch, 600w

entry

foyer chandelier

1 Elan Master dimming/switching UPB wall switch, 1000W
1 PCS Auxiliary remote wall switch

kitchen

patio

side entry hall:

Lighting Control:

1 PCS Power line interface
1 Customers existing Elan HC-6
2 PCS PPC-1 wire in phase coupler
1 PCS wire in split phase repeater

Climate Control

3 HAI Omnistat 2 RC2000
1 Elan G Pro Application Software License

Security Additions

2 Tane rail mount overhead door contact
1 RS232 Gateway Module
1 Elan G Pro Application Software License

Camera installation

1 Vitek 8 camera 500 gig digital video recorder
1 12VDC/24VAC 8 Output power supply
5 Speco Intensifier Series Color Bullet Camera
10 Direct Connect BNC fitting

Media Room

1 Epson Power Lite 6020 3D/2D 1080p HDTV projector
2 Epson 3D Glasses
1 Universal Projector Mount
1 Epson Replacement Projector Builb
1 Screen Innovations Black Diamond TBZ115BD14
1 Screen Innovations LED light Kit
1 Denon AVR 2113 7.1 Multi Source/Multi Zone receiver
1 Sony BDP-S5100 Blue Ray Player
1 Customers existing Direct TV receiver
1 Panamax M4300 Power management component
3 Paradigm AMS-250 In-wall speakers
4 Paradigm AMS-100R 6.5" in ceiling speakers
1 Paradigm PDR-100 10" powered sub-woofer
1 Zuum 15 Meter HDMI Cable
2 Zuum 1 Meter HDMI Cable
1 URC MX780 Universal Remote Control
1 URC MRF 350 RF base station

Electronics and TVs

family room

1 Customers existing television
3 Klipsch CDT 3650C in ceiling speakers
2 Klipsch R-2650-W in wall speakers
1 Klipsch SW-350 8" powered subwoofer
1 Denon AVR 1613 5.1 CH A/V Home Theater Receiver
1 Wyrestorm 1UTPIR40M Cat 5e balun w/ IR 40 meter

office

master

patio

game room

card room

VIDEO DISTRIBUTION:

1 Wyrestorm 4x2 HDMI Matrix swticher
1 Wyrestorm 4x4 HD to HD HDMI Matrix Switcher
2 URC MRF 350 RF base station
5 Customers existing Direct TV receivers
1 Sony BDP-S590 Blue Ray Player
2 apple tv

Rack

1 Middle Atlantic Slim 5-29 rack
1 Middle Atlantic Fine floor casters
1 Middle Atlantic 3 Space rack shelf
5 Middle Atlantic Rack Shelf
1 Panamax M4300 Power management component
1 Rack Mount 8 Outlet Surge Protector
1 Lacer Bars, Screw, blank Vents, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I've ditched the iPort products in favor of using an AppleTV and Airplay if all you need it a iPod connection and you are an Apple iPhone/Touch home, then this solution works very well and allows you to play your music collection from your pocket while on your home network. At $100 per unit, it is far less expensive than pretty much anything else and works very well.

Sure, the 2-way feedback that shows up on the Elan touchpanel is pretty cool, but why not just look at the music player that is in your hand and you are walking around with instead? It really works better from what I have dealt with.
pollywork likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I would like to know what would you change in it?
Many things--every salesperson/designer has their favorites. Get a second (or third) bid if you want to see a completely different list of gear that does mostly the same thing.

To me it seems redundant to have the ipod dock. iport, and Fusion Research Music streamer.
Not at all. They all offer different options--one a freestanding dock for music, another that allows for a convenient in wall interface, and lastly, a sophisticated, centralized streamer that will allow for a display on all the Elan interfaces.

The house has been prewired to have music playing in different rooms of the house, with a 5.1 system in the family room for TV, and a 7.1 in the media room.
Couldn't you just do the whole house in Lutron and not 2 different manufacturers for the lighting control/hvac? Would Lutron work with Elan or RTI?
Lutron makes the devices for a lot of the Control brands like URC, etc. So you are getting Lutron switches. As for HVAC, there are certain thermostats that will work with the Elan and others that may lack the drivers. You'll have to ask the integrator. Lutron will typically work with just about anything.

Wouldn't the RTI system be a heck of a lot more inexpensive for the same features?
No.

Why are they charging me $700 for each license agreement thru Elan, seems redundant.
That's how Elan works. You add an extra license beyond the basic control system for each sub-system. If this bothers you then go for a different system...no other one does this to my knowledge.

Ive already been advised that the URC controllers they choose were crap, and to go with the RTI T2C+.
This sounds likes a miscommunication between you and the designer. Do you want $300 control devices for secondary areas or $600 controllers? There is nothing wrong with the MX780. It won't allow you to benefit from 2-way feedback or any of the cool stuff that will show up on the Elan GUIs. If you want that, get Elan controllers for every area or go to a different system--like URC Total Control (if you are looking for possibly something a bit cheaper).

What are better Wyrestorm or Zuum Balun IR meters?
We use Atlona. Key Digital is another brand we use. The newest ones are HDBaseT. They are more expensive but could be better in the long run?

Would I even need Balun meters if I bought 50ft Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology ?
Not if you want to take a chance that you have problems with the cable functioning and is not possibly compatible with future technology.

The Denon 1613 receiver I heard is crap compared to the 3313 and to go with that. If that's the case, would that eliminate any of the other components?
Who's telling you all of this? If you want to spend more and get a better model, then do it! It won't change the system design or eliminate anything. Generally, you should upgrade speakers for the largest performance improvements from components.

Also regarding the rack, our system is going into a closet we have an exhaust fan in. Is a rack really necessary or couldn't you do the wire rack system from lowes? I had that previously and it worked out great, we were able to access components easily and it didn't break the bank. Any suggestions would be helpful for any of the quote, thank you for your time.
I wouldn't, but I like a professional look and have a similar rack to what was bid--I've had it for years and have changed out equipment many times. It is easy to roll it out, switch gear, adjust wiring, etc. It would be hard to believe the difference in price would be worth the savings, but only you can answer that.

B.

PS I would get at least a 2nd estimate. You are looking at a significant purchase and it might help you understand what you want better.
pollywork likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you to both of you for your advice.
I did speak with another dealer, who advised me the first dealer didnt have the best equipment for us. and there would be compatibility issues with URC with the Elan system. He wouldnt bid on my project since we own alot of our equipment and wouldnt be their "high end" client. I'm stuck with getting the info for myself since there are only 2 Elan dealers in the area I live in. The one I received the quote from doesnt have the best customer service so its easier for me to find it out for myself. Which is also why I am thinking of switching to RTI since I cant seem to get answers to the Elan system very easily and would have to deal with this company I could care less for IMO.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
As I said...there are more than one way to skin a cat. Finding a good dealer whom you trust is more important than the equipment being specified in many cases, i.e. there is no ONE right answer.

B.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page