pre-wiring questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, i am currently undergoing a gut renovation. my contractor told me that my walls are going to be closed within the next three weeks and i just got nervous that i did not plan enough pre-wiring for home automation. it's a 6000 sq ft 4-level house (basement, 1st, 2nd, attic).
here is what i've planned so far [no low-voltage wiring has started yet, so there is time to change things]:
- cat 6a at various places throughout (some rooms more than one), all with homeruns to basement. [question: should i homerun all to central location or run 2nd flr and attic to a switch on 2nd floor?]
- telephone cables at various places throughout house, all homerunned to basement. i'm still not sure what telephone system to get.
- speaker wires in several rooms, probably with volume controls at the room level, homerunned to basement. was planning on a sonos setup though the lack of privacy controls bothers me (i dont like that anyone with access to the sonos remote can, for example, turn on music in the master bedroom). hopefully that will be addressed in their software soon
- hard wired honeywell alarm system (low voltage wiring to each window/door, etc.)
- hdmi tv cables behind walls running to that specific tv's av component location.
- coax cables running from main source in basement to all possible tv locations [though i think in the not too distant future, we won't really need av components or coax cables; it will, including live tv, be controlled via internet (cat 6a)]

here are the some of my concerns:
- what telephone sysytem to get?
- best way to wire for video cameras at entrances to house (with easy to view when answering the door). there are wifi options available here, but are they any good?
- selective prewiring for automatic shades (low voltage or high voltage?)

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Sounds like an exciting project!

For the telephone system- use cat5/6 because it can be used in place of standard twisted pair if you go analog for your phones- or if you decide to go with a digital VOIP system- you'll already have your network wiring in place.

Same for the cameras- newer cams use cat5/6 either directly with POE to the cams or use a balm at both ends to run both video and power through a single cat5/6 cable. If you're going to get cameras that use POE- homerun all the camera wiring to a single location cause you'll need a switch that has POE ports- then that switch can tie in with your main switch.

The shades don't need pre-wiring, they're easy to control via z-wave wireless. Get a Vera3 controller then get the shade motor control module:
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Shade-Blind-Controllers-C254.aspx
The Vera3 can control lots of other items around the house too, including door locks, sprinkler systems, cameras, lights, thermostats, etc...

Good luck w/the project!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."