Show me your (non 19") equipment "rack", please ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm setting up an automation/ AV system in our new (to us) home. I have a whole bunch of non 19" equipment. AV receivers, house amps (though they can be mounted in a 19" rack), cable modem, satellite receivers, Blu Ray player, router, wireless router, file server, etc.

I've dedicated an entire large closet to housing this stuff. I'm looking for ideas on how to neatly mount and wire it.

What does your (non 19") equipment "rack" look like ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mine looks like (read is) a 19" rack with rack shelves for the few things that aren't rack mount ... seemed easy to me at the time but I am sure there are better solutions.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Search AVS for DIY rack, and do a Google image search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:avsforum.com+diy+rack&safe=off&rlz=1Y1UXZM_enUS513US513&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=cRSrUYOnMYX28wTG_YEo&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=598&bih=283&sei=dRSrUdn6HYW08QT94oD4DA

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the effort, but those pictures show racks where most of the equipment is 19" rack mount or close to it.

The majority of my equipment is not 19" rack mount, nor close to it. Cable modem, routers, PC, satellite receivers, etc. None of it is 19" rack mount. Most of it is no where near 19" side. Its all consumer stuff. None of these beautiful rack pictures show that stuff. I need a clean way to organize that sort of stuff.

The best I have come up with is to put it on wire shelving units. Not very sexy.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

post #6 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

For a clean install of smaller components, you could consider low voltage enclosures. I have one next to my rack, housing a switch, modem, patch panels, and router. Many people, though, opt for a piece of plywood on the wall, as it's a lot easier and cheaper. You can run cables behind the plywood, if the plywood is elevated from the wall.

These are not mine, but may give you some ideas.

here is a GIS of cepro.com for "neat-o" + enclosure https://www.google.com/search?q=site:cocoontech.com+plywood&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS501US501&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=15KrUca9KdGw0AHgxYHYAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=2133&bih=1190#rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS501US501&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=enclosure+%22neat-o%22+site:cepro.com&oq=enclosure+%22neat-o%22+site:cepro.com&gs_l=img.3...21606.24773.2.25247.15.15.0.0.0.0.75.358.15.15.0...0.0.0..1c.1.15.img.Mp4tWUxPxvA&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=a309ba6d5619a20d&biw=1777&bih=1238

Middle Atlantic offers some 'half rack' options - half the width of a standard rack.

If you don't need to access the components often, you can put a couple next to each other on a rack shelf, covered with a blank plate. Or, if you have a standard rack, there is often lots of space behind each component - plenty of room to add some smaller components behind. Some people just zip tie the smaller components to the rack, at the rear. If the rack is deep enough, you can add a third set of vertical rack rails, between the front and rear rails, to add additional shallow components cleanly. I did this with my server rack, works great for my audio patch panel and the distributed audio keypad connecting block.

Any type of enclosed rack or shelves can handle a door, too.

You can get lots of design ideas from cocoontech. Many people there use the plywood method, and some look really sharp.

From Cocoontech http://cocoontech.com/forums/gallery/sizes/485-bench-testing-m1-gold/large/

Those black bars hiding the cables are called slotted wiring duct, aka finger channel.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I like the plywood method, but I have too many devices for the wall area in the closet.

I'm going to start with wire racks and see how it goes. I can always redo it later.

I'll post pictures when I do. First up is getting essential stuff like getting a dishwasher and cook top running.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-03-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got a few other things running in the house.

Here is my media closet with the wire rack as it sits now.

The rack is on wheels. I'll build a patch panel into one of the side walls so that wires fed to the closet terminate and the feed to the cart will be via patch cables. The patch cables will be long enough such that I can roll out the rack to allow access to the back of things when I am working on them.

I put plugs and a light in the closet. Its set up for a ventilation fan too, but I haven't installed it yet.

All the audio and video wiring for the whole house ends up in this closet. There is a big bundle of loose wire above the ceiling waiting to be fed down. Furthermore, ever possible TV location is plumbed with conduit and there is a path to this closet.

I'm just starting to connect and power things up. At the moment we have no TV in the house at all.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

No TV? How will you survive without all that crap, and so much more free time?

I had a similar wire 'rack' before I obtained a server rack.

Worked well, for a PC and a couple components.

I added a component music server, UPS, and a rack-mount power strip, and decided to go with a 19" rack. I have plans for more components, and a replacement 24" deep AV rack (server rack huge).

You can pretty much mount anything, in a 19" rack. Here is the back of my current rack:

Keep your cables long, so the shelves (or future rack) can be pulled out easily.

You could consider a preconfigured rack, that includes the door, removable sides, several shelves, and casters. Offered by most rack manufacturers (Middle Atlantic, Chief, Sanus, Omnimount).

post #10 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 12
Here are some examples of "do it yourself" equipment racks as well: Rack 7.jpg 163k .jpg file Rack 8.jpg 331k .jpg file Rack 9.jpg 359k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rack 7.jpg (163.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Rack 8.jpg (330.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Rack 9.jpg (359.0 KB, 14 views)
post #11 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Equipment racks are typically 19" not just because it is a standard, but because almost all consumer electronics fit into them nicely.

They also have some very important purposes in their design which helps to increase airflow, maximize space, and allows for cable management and power management which just can't easily be dealt with in other systems easily or cleanly.

So, there is nothing you've put onto your wire shelves which wouldn't work fine in a standard 19" rack, and you would have a lot more options for the long term.

I have three different 19" racks, and half, or more, or my gear is not 'rack mount' designed, but on Middle Atlantic shelves designed for those pieces of gear. (custom shelves)

It's certainly a lot more pricey to go that route though vs. just using some wire shelves.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page