Advice on which system, need to control RadioRA2, Somfy Blinds, and monitor security from iphone - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 1500 square foot condo that is already constructed. We are doing some small remodel work and need some advice on which system I should be looking at. I have looked at iRule, Honeywell, and a few others and am still lost on which would be the best option for me. Here is what I got....

I already have all of my audio and video centralized and controlled by 2 Logitech Harmony 900.

I am needing to control my 9 somfy roller shades.

I am about to replace my 24 dimmer switches to probably Lutron RadioRA2 so would like those controlled also.

Control of the thermostat would be a plus

Last thing I am needing and I am hoping there is a way to do this. I am wanting to be able to know when someone enters our home by having a security keypad by front door and going off like a normal security system and it sending an alert to my and my wife's iphone when they enter the code to enter. I am not needing this monitored remotely by ADT because I am not wanting to pay a monthly fee. Not sure if this is possible.

My budget is somewhat flexible but I am trying to keep the cost down around $6,000 and guessing the RadioRA2s will take up about half of the budget.

Any other questions please let me know. I really appreciate the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Elan or Creston can tie in to Lutron and your alarm system and blinds but I am not sure that you can do all that on the budget you are quoting.
I am not an installer so I am not sure but I know from experience that the base of the systems are what costs the bulk of the money.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Any idea if Elan or Creston are in my budget?
post #4 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any other advice? Would really appreciate it. Thanks.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Liked: 12
Control4 or Savant have good capabilities for all those products. C4 will be closer to your budget, too. You could even use C4 lighting instead of Lutron and safe some money. Personally, I like RA2 better than C4 lighting.

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
post #6 of 11 Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I am considering now Control4 and RTI. Anyone have any advice on which historically has performed better? The research I have done people seem to recommend RTI quite a bit more than C4.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM

You really should head over to concoontech.com.
If you want DIY, I would reccomend Elk M1 or HAI for alarm,UPB for lighting.
Both have capability of controlling everything you want and are easy to learn and have a good DIY crowd for help...
The other tech you mentioned are good for what you need but they are not DIY for sure....
post #8 of 11 Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The major players for DIY home automation:
1. Elk M1
2. HAI OPII
3. HomeSeer
4. CQC
5. MainLobby
6. Universal Devices, Inc (ISY99 controller)
7. Vera
8. Premise (it's free)

If you need an alarm, pick #1 or #2 to start with. #4, #5, and #8 are PC-based. The others are hardware controllers.

IMO, it's best to choose everything before you buy a thing, to make sure everything is compatible (read online, don't be a guinea pig). But, that's a lot less fun.

Most of these have dedicated forums (Elk, HAI, and Premise forums at Cocoontech.com). Personally, I've never used any of them, but I have an Elk M1 in my shopping cart.

Many other whole-house controller options are available for DIY, including several new companies. Pro-install options include Elan, RTI, Control4, URC Total Control, Savant, and Crestron. Claire (sp?) Controls is a new pro-install system that uses a Mac-based platform.

Lighting control systems include UPB, Insteon, Lutron Radio RA2, z-wave, Control4 (not DIY) Centralite, LiteTouch/Savant (not DIY), Crestron (not DIY), and Vantage (not DIY).

Basically, if DIY, find someone experienced, and with similar needs, in a forum, and try to copy what they did. For pro installation, find a great company, and use what they recommend, given your budget.
David Haddad likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 11 Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
And with a little refocusing...

Most pro alarm installers want to set you up with a central monitoring company, and make some money. I suggest you use an HAI dealer, and have him set you up with those alerts. The HAI dealer isn't commonly as much an alarm installer, as a custom home automation integrator.

So, to answer the original question, talk to some local HAI dealers (HAI by Leviton). Find one that also does RA2. HAI can also control thermostats and Somfy shades, and iPhone/iPad apps are available (though not technically necessary for alerts). Elk M1 would also work, instead of HAI.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 11 Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I think we are the only DIY friendly product with an RA2/HQ driver currently, or that was the case until recently at least - it may have changed by now.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #11 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am not wanting to do a DIY. I am wanting to have it pro installed. I have found that each company I talk to pushes 1 product as being the best solution. Right now I am leaning towards RTI. Found an installer who seems knowledgeable and is pretty close to my budget. Do you all think RTI is a good overall system for my needs? Any other info I can give you?

I do not have the knowledge or patience for a DIY. Thanks again for the advice.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page