Heated floors in bathroom. Thermostat zigbee or zwave exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Im about to install these thermasoft heated floors but the thermostats they have and I could find are just normal non zigbee zwave thermostats.

Has anyone installed or have found a zwave or zigbee controlled thermostat for heated floors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Regular communicating stat remote mounted with a slab sensor. The contact closure output of the stat can close a set of auxiliary contacts (with the use of a power supply) rated at the load of your floor mat/cables. The scheduling can live on a programmable stat or within your system programming.

We have integrated some NuHeat and Flextherm electric mats & cables this way using the Lutron TouchPro.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradKas View Post

Regular communicating stat remote mounted with a slab sensor. The contact closure output of the stat can close a set of auxiliary contacts (with the use of a power supply) rated at the load of your floor mat/cables. The scheduling can live on a programmable stat or within your system programming.

We have integrated some NuHeat and Flextherm electric mats & cables this way using the Lutron TouchPro.

I'm tying it into a simpel HA system from www.smartthings.com so I just need a zigbee or zwave thermostat that has a floor temp sensor and air sensor temp.

Could the lutron one be run outside of a lutron system ?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM

No, although any communicating stat designed for use within a HVAC system would work - I was just noting our Lutron installs as an example.

I wouldn't say you need to monitor the temperature of the air as well as the slab unless this is your primary means of heating an area. Typically native NuHeat or Flextherm line voltage controllers allow you to select either, but not use both simultaneously.

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Thermostats_HVAC_Controls/Z_Wave_Compatible/_/J/23V/nav.aspx
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, although any communicating stat designed for use within a HVAC system would work - I was just noting our Lutron installs as an example.

I wouldn't say you need to monitor the temperature of the air as well as the slab unless this is your primary means of heating an area. Typically native NuHeat or Flextherm line voltage controllers allow you to select either, but not use both simultaneously.

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Thermostats_HVAC_Controls/Z_Wave_Compatible/_/J/23V/nav.aspx

thanks but do any of these have a slab sensor? do you just wire the sensor to the thinset under the tile?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 PM

You will need to read the instructions to see if any of them support a slab sensor - they will typically have a compatible model number.

The slab sensor is installed within the mortar between two of the cables of your mat or cable system configuration (same as if using a stand alone controller).
post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You will need to read the instructions to see if any of them support a slab sensor - they will typically have a compatible model number.

The slab sensor is installed within the motor between two of the cables of your mat or cable system configuration (same as if using a stand alone controller).

Only one I could find is this
http://www.smarthome.com/300607B/Aube-TH115-A-240D-3600w-2-Pole-Baseboard-Thermostat/p.aspx

that is to say one that is Infineon compatible, none are zwave or zigbee that does electric floor external thermostat other than the Aube.. frown.gif

I'm not sure anything out there exists.

although in the UK these heatmisers might be it, just not sure
http://www.heatmiser.com/web/index.php/thermostats/wifi-thermostat-series
post #8 of 11 Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM

Wow I'm surprised the Honeywell doesn't have support for remote temperature sensor/slab sensor. It has manual or auto change over for aux heat which generally requires outdoor temperature to function correctly.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 86
The NuHeat smart thermostats (rebranded Aube) have treated me well the past few years, without integration. You don't want tight control, you want to leave it to the learning t-stat.

But I definitely see the advantage, for vacations.

Some Aubes, designed for electric radiant, have contact closures on the back. I don't know how to integrate that wirelessl, other than with a controller that has both wired and wireless features.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 AM

The NuHeat Solo stats (not sure about the new Aube) have terminals to network multiple zones together via a 2 conductor connection. One stat is made the master, the rest become slaves. From the master, system settings can be 'sent to system' applying to all connected stats.

This is a great feature for being able to put the whole home into 'Away' mode or applying the same settings to multiple stats at the same time. It's not integrated, but the functionality for adding 2 conductors connecting your zones is pretty slick.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I looked at the NuHeat Solo before buying my other NuHeat stats, but because of the lack of integration, I chose the cheaper, with a plan to replace in the future.

My NuHeat stats have the contacts on the rear, like the Aube, for integration, but I don't know if they're active; NuHeat said they don't support it, and wouldn't share any info.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home Automation