Been looking at home automation - now own home, did reading - now confused!!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
There's a link at this site for "speech commander": http://www.mediapcforums.com/node/

You'll have to read speech commander's documentation and post your questions on the Premise Support Forum: http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/51-premise-home-control/

I suspect the speech commander module may not be able to contextually understand commands like Google's voice search, but will require grammar based commands.

I use text to speech (to announce events), but I have no need to install mics everywhere for voice control (I think this is required for speech commander). My smartphone, remotes, browser and in-wall controllers are enough means of control for me. I suspect speech control is going to be a waste of time unless there's a google voice search API you can use and program your own solution.

Please post your results on speech commander at http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/51-premise-home-control/

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 58 Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
To be fair, there's no charge with CQC for the drivers. With some other systems, the entry price is lower because it doesn't include the drivers you need to control the hardware you have. And many of them are third party purchased so, if you change hardware, you have to buy another one for the new hardware. CQC's price seems higher perhaps but it doesn't include any hidden costs. All the drivers are available and once you get to the Gold level, unless you need more capacity, there's nothing else you need, in terms of our software anyway. And, BTW, 30 devices (Gold level) is a pretty substantial number. Unless you have a pretty large home, in which case any cost differential is probably going to be pretty trivial to you anyway, you would not likely need more.

Anyway, for a fair comparison you would have to calculate the actual final cost of another price with all the drivers you need. What might 30 drivers cost you under another system?

I know that Etc has been pushing Premise on almost every thread here lately, but there is reason that people charge for their products, and why people pay for them even if there is a free alternative. There's a reason why we already had all the drivers that fcwilt needed. It's not like we are getting rich by any means. The automation world is quite small. But we believe that we should create a very comprehensive, high quality product and, in order to do that, in a small market, we have to charge enough to sustain ourselves, and hopefully to grow so that we can provide even more to our customers. And, since we do need to get people to buy it, we take support and quality very seriously. I don't think it's crazy for people to invest in a very actively developed product of high quality.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #33 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
So, with CQC the number shown on your site is "Max Devices Controlled" really means maximum number of drivers? This is confusing from an outsiders point of view. This makes me want to ask even more questions... Can I make my own drivers and exceed the limit? What if I'm at my limit already, but want to switch to another driver? What exactly are you defining as a device, does Z-Wave count as a single device or would each node be a device? Do non-physical things like a weather plugin to fetch weather data from weather underground count as a device?

I've never used CQC so I can't comment on it other than its pricing. I will say I've never heard anything bad about it at all, and that does mean something. But IMHO, your pricing structure is too confusing. If it can't be explained on a single page and be clear to outsiders, I'm never going to tell people to try it when there's a free option to try first that does the same thing.

I didn't mean to offend you and want to support the American economy and developers. I'm not "pushing" Premise in the financial sense. I have no connection to Google, Motorola, or whoever the heck still owns Premise. Further, I don't have a connection with any home automation/integration company at all.

The truth is, I like and enjoy integrating new technologies and devices when it comes to market and post all of my drivers for Premise for free (such as the Z-Wave driver I helped develop). I've also spent many hours helping folks for free on the Premise Support Forum and do enjoy helping folks.

I can tell you Premise supports everything fcwilt mentioned too (UPB, HAI, ELK, Z-Wave, Insteon, etc...). It could support SageTV too, but someone would have to have the software and make a driver. There is a driver for Windows Media Center. Building a SageTV driver is an easy task, but just takes someone willing to do it who has the program, know how and free time.

Also, no one said it was "crazy" to buy your product. I will say I can do the same thing for free and enjoy the DIY freedom to make as many custom drivers as I want for my home. If you read my post, I gave my opinion. For every reason to use a supported software, there is a reason to use user supported free software. There is value in open and free software that allows users to add completely new technologies and features, and even build on past drivers that are posted. I think you know this as a developer, so I will not belabor that point.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #34 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Yes, it is device drivers. In the bulk of cases that's one thing, i.e. one driver is needed to talk to one A/V processor, one irrigation controller, one multi-zone audio controller, one media player. In the case though of 'composite devices' like Lutron, Z-Wave, UPB, Elk, Omni, etc... as far as CQC is concerned there's one thing there to talk to, the controller, and so it only requires one driver. Yes, a weather service requires a driver to integrate it into the system. If you want to switch to another device, it's only the count of drivers that matter, not which ones, so just switch to a different one.

I will update the web server to make this clearer, but of course nothing is going to make it completely clear without more explanation than can be put on a simple presentation of the options. And there is a whole page explaining the options as well, and I think it goes into this issue.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #35 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have updated the web site to hopefully make things clearer, well the new web site anyway. I haven't done the old HTML web site yet.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #36 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I have updated the web site to hopefully make things clearer, well the new web site anyway. I haven't done the old HTML web site yet.

I'm glad to see a high level person on the forum with there product but, I looked at your product, and was very sticker shocked and i already have a server to run it................................

I dont know what you consider a large house but our house is 2800 sq feet with a pool room in the middle

And i'm still confused your limit is 30 devices now you say 30 drivers? err what, I'll be honest I seen your site and checked it off my list within 3 minutes.

also if i got the $219 version you have no explanation of what all those addons are for or do, and after googling 3 of them I just gave up on it. I realize it might be easy for you but for us new people it may as well be greek

not trying to knock your product just trying to help - and you really need to look at your SEO, it should not be this hard for me to find your site again!!!!

i thank etc for trying to help me, and help me save money, but premise's very little voice support is a deal killer, I could learn to write a driver but how long is it going to take me ?

This is what I and wife want to do - along with other stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTj0ymhbBw

stuff i want
weather
doors
motion
secnes,

just about everything
turbov6camaro is offline  
post #37 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Right there in the Try/Buy section there is an Information page, and the per-tier descriptions in the Buy It page tells you to look at the Information page as well. It describes all the options and tiers. I'm not sure how much more obvious we can make it.

Selecting an appropriate product of this sort is an important issue, because it's easy to make a choice and a lot harder to live with it. Checking one off after a few minutes isn't necessarily in your best interests. It's a fairly large subject area and pretty much any product you could understand the ins and outs of in 3 minutes would likely either be so simplistic you'd probably not stick with it long, or leaving out a lot of info you would want to know before you purchased. And, as pointed out, the initial cost isn't necessarily the cost you end up paying, so it's something to look into. We could have put a low price and not really mentioned all of the stuff that wouldn't have provided you that you'd later have to purchase. But we prefer to just make it clear what the real price is, and hope people will take their decision seriously enough to look into what any given system will cost them.

If you don't understand what a device driver is (though it may use slightly different terminology in other systems), then that's a sign you need to dig deeper. Every automation system uses them to interface to the devices you want to control. In some systems they are extract costs beyond the cost of the automation system itself. The only type of system that wouldn't use them would be one with fixed support for a small and specific set of hardware. Given that almost all will use them, and they aren't part of the system cost in some systems, that can make an apparently less expensive system cost as much or more as ours once you add it up. And even if they don't bother mentioning it before you purchase, you'll have to deal with them. So it's something to get your head around before you make a decision.

30 drivers in a typical setup is a lot of stuff, and not something you'd like exceed. In your example, assuming you were using something like an Elk, or Omni, or Z-Wave or something for the doors, motion detectors, and scene controllers, you'd be looking at a grand total of two drivers. One for the controller providing access to all that stuff and one for the weather service. Of course you'll almost certainly expand beyond that once you get into it, but you still have a ways to go before you'd need 30 drivers.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #38 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post

I'm glad to see a high level person on the forum with there product but, I looked at your product, and was very sticker shocked and i already have a server to run it................................

I dont know what you consider a large house but our house is 2800 sq feet with a pool room in the middle

And i'm still confused your limit is 30 devices now you say 30 drivers? err what, I'll be honest I seen your site and checked it off my list within 3 minutes.

also if i got the $219 version you have no explanation of what all those addons are for or do, and after googling 3 of them I just gave up on it. I realize it might be easy for you but for us new people it may as well be greek

not trying to knock your product just trying to help - and you really need to look at your SEO, it should not be this hard for me to find your site again!!!!

i thank etc for trying to help me, and help me save money, but premise's very little voice support is a deal killer, I could learn to write a driver but how long is it going to take me ?

This is what I and wife want to do - along with other stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTj0ymhbBw

stuff i want
weather
doors
motion
secnes,

just about everything

Seeing you have eliminated both Premise and CQC, I think you might want to look at CastleOS, it has voice control but I believe it is still in beta.

I would at least try both Premise and CQC, if you choose your hardware well it could be supported in most home automation software.
WayneDB123 is offline  
post #39 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

Seeing you have eliminated both Premise and CQC, I think you might want to look at CastleOS, it has voice control but I believe it is still in beta.

I would at least try both Premise and CQC, if you choose your hardware well it could be supported in most home automation software.

I haven't fully ruled anything out yet...... I will look at that one. Premise looks very nice but I'm not a programmer, so the time it would take me to look get something working? who knows

thre prmise you need about $200 in hardware to get it working (stick and other thing)

also looking more at vera 3 i dont really see anything it can't do. I already have an alarm.com security system and it would be nice if i could integrate what i already have with the home automation system but i dont mind having it separate ether..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Right there in the Try/Buy section there is an Information page, and the per-tier descriptions in the Buy It page tells you to look at the Information page as well. It describes all the options and tiers. I'm not sure how much more obvious we can make it.

Selecting an appropriate product of this sort is an important issue, because it's easy to make a choice and a lot harder to live with it. Checking one off after a few minutes isn't necessarily in your best interests. It's a fairly large subject area and pretty much any product you could understand the ins and outs of in 3 minutes would likely either be so simplistic you'd probably not stick with it long, or leaving out a lot of info you would want to know before you purchased. And, as pointed out, the initial cost isn't necessarily the cost you end up paying, so it's something to look into. We could have put a low price and not really mentioned all of the stuff that wouldn't have provided you that you'd later have to purchase. But we prefer to just make it clear what the real price is, and hope people will take their decision seriously enough to look into what any given system will cost them.

If you don't understand what a device driver is (though it may use slightly different terminology in other systems), then that's a sign you need to dig deeper. Every automation system uses them to interface to the devices you want to control. In some systems they are extract costs beyond the cost of the automation system itself. The only type of system that wouldn't use them would be one with fixed support for a small and specific set of hardware. Given that almost all will use them, and they aren't part of the system cost in some systems, that can make an apparently less expensive system cost as much or more as ours once you add it up. And even if they don't bother mentioning it before you purchase, you'll have to deal with them. So it's something to get your head around before you make a decision.

30 drivers in a typical setup is a lot of stuff, and not something you'd like exceed. In your example, assuming you were using something like an Elk, or Omni, or Z-Wave or something for the doors, motion detectors, and scene controllers, you'd be looking at a grand total of two drivers. One for the controller providing access to all that stuff and one for the weather service. Of course you'll almost certainly expand beyond that once you get into it, but you still have a ways to go before you'd need 30 drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Right there in the Try/Buy section there is an Information page, and the per-tier descriptions in the Buy It page tells you to look at the Information page as well. It describes all the options and tiers. I'm not sure how much more obvious we can make it.

Selecting an appropriate product of this sort is an important issue, because it's easy to make a choice and a lot harder to live with it. Checking one off after a few minutes isn't necessarily in your best interests. It's a fairly large subject area and pretty much any product you could understand the ins and outs of in 3 minutes would likely either be so simplistic you'd probably not stick with it long, or leaving out a lot of info you would want to know before you purchased. And, as pointed out, the initial cost isn't necessarily the cost you end up paying, so it's something to look into. We could have put a low price and not really mentioned all of the stuff that wouldn't have provided you that you'd later have to purchase. But we prefer to just make it clear what the real price is, and hope people will take their decision seriously enough to look into what any given system will cost them.

If you don't understand what a device driver is (though it may use slightly different terminology in other systems), then that's a sign you need to dig deeper. Every automation system uses them to interface to the devices you want to control. In some systems they are extract costs beyond the cost of the automation system itself. The only type of system that wouldn't use them would be one with fixed support for a small and specific set of hardware. Given that almost all will use them, and they aren't part of the system cost in some systems, that can make an apparently less expensive system cost as much or more as ours once you add it up. And even if they don't bother mentioning it before you purchase, you'll have to deal with them. So it's something to get your head around before you make a decision.

30 drivers in a typical setup is a lot of stuff, and not something you'd like exceed. In your example, assuming you were using something like an Elk, or Omni, or Z-Wave or something for the doors, motion detectors, and scene controllers, you'd be looking at a grand total of two drivers. One for the controller providing access to all that stuff and one for the weather service. Of course you'll almost certainly expand beyond that once you get into it, but you still have a ways to go before you'd need 30 drivers.

I may have confused you with other thing i saw. It kinda looked like your but the site was different and had like 10-15 addons for it..

I know what a driver is. if a driver supports all Z-wave, than your system is in range for sure, that makes it more in my range for sure.

What do I need with your system to get started? you said controller?

do you support both Insteon and Z-wave?

one of my absolute main goals is to save power. $400 month electric bill is to much (like 3500 KWh frown.gif and somtime thats 8000 KWh on high load months mad.gif
turbov6camaro is offline  
post #40 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Here are all of the device drivers that are shipped. There are others available informally on the forum:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/ExtCont_4_x/ExtContent_Devices.htm

If you want to do Z-Wave you will need a Leviton VRCOP (with associated Leviton software and a compatible Z-Waev USB stick that the Leviton software uses to create a primary controller.) If you want to do Insteon then it would be the ISY Insteon controller. the ISY and the VRCOP are both controllers that the automation system talks to in order to control either Z-Wave or Insteon devices. CQC doesn't care about the Leviton software of the USB stick, but you need those in the Z-Wave case to set up the Z-Wave network and add devices to it and such.

CQC is just Windows software so it just needs a WIndows machine to run it. Of course it should be something that is always there, since you will be using it at any time. Most folks will use a small PC in the closet to act as the server to run the CQC servers. You can run the client side software on any other Windows, Android or iOS clients you have (subject to the limits on the tier you buy of course.) The Android and iOS clients are third party.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #41 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post


one of my absolute main goals is to save power. $400 month electric bill is to much (like 3500 KWh frown.gif and somtime thats 8000 KWh on high load months mad.gif

You use up to 8MWH in a month? I would go broke paying for that much power in California.
WayneDB123 is offline  
post #42 of 58 Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yeah house is %100 electric, geo-thermal and such but still uses lots of power
turbov6camaro is offline  
post #43 of 58 Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes well for sure one way to save power is to add more devices that use electricity! wink.gif

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
post #44 of 58 Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I agree, I don't think the number of devices are the limiting factor after you cleared up that compound devices count as one. I see you changed your site so that it now says "Device Drivers." This is much clearer. IMHO, my biggest drawback with CQC is that it says you need an extended license ($849 or higher) to do what I consider basic things like Application Control, Logic Server, Web Server and XML Gateway. These are all things free options like Premise already do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

30 drivers in a typical setup is a lot of stuff, and not something you'd like exceed. In your example, assuming you were using something like an Elk, or Omni, or Z-Wave or something for the doors, motion detectors, and scene controllers, you'd be looking at a grand total of two drivers. One for the controller providing access to all that stuff and one for the weather service. Of course you'll almost certainly expand beyond that once you get into it, but you still have a ways to go before you'd need 30 drivers.

I'm confused, did you not try the speechcommander module I linked to or even read the documentation? Does it not do what you are wanting? I'm pretty sure it will work, you just can't talk into your smartphone and control things, but need an intercom system that can input into a PC's mic port. I would suggest using voice control under Tasker in Android and manually link to URL's in order to control things. I do this with Tasker and NFC tags to do all kinds of tasks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post

i thank etc for trying to help me, and help me save money, but premise's very little voice support is a deal killer, I could learn to write a driver but how long is it going to take me ?

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #45 of 58 Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

IMHO, my biggest drawback with CQC is that it says you need an extended license ($849 or higher) to do what I consider basic things like Application Control, Logic Server, Web Server and XML Gateway. These are all things free options like Premise already do.

To be fair to Dean and CQC, Premise used to cost $995 when it first came out, later they had a cheaper personal edition that if I remember right sold for about $299.
WayneDB123 is offline  
post #46 of 58 Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
One thing that free software advocates sort of need to keep in mind is, it's going to stop working at some point. Now, for the user that might not be a huge deal since they didn't pay for it. But, if everyone uses that free software, and won't pay for the actively developed products, what incentive is there for anyone to actively develop any new products? And, therefore, what will you use when the free one stops working? It's sort of a microcosm of the whole free software thing on a larger scale. There is a lot of it out there, but it's mostly created by people who make their living creating commercial software. If everyone started using that free stuff instead of the commercial stuff, then those people who are now software engineers who spend some free time working on free software won't have nearly as many jobs, and therefore there won't be nearly as much incentive for more people to become software engineers of high quality who can create good free software.

Ultimately, the creation of significant work that requires a highly specialized skill requires that people get paid for doing it or they won't develop that skill. So, ultimately, there can be no world of free software that takes over what the world of commercial software currently provides. Not to get into politics, but there's a reason capitalism works better than some other systems who dare not speak their names here. Taking the risk to create great new products means that if there is not some substantial potential payoff, people just won't do it at the continual level of commitment over the required spans of time needed to create products of this size and caliber.

Anyway, sorry to get philosophical and whatnot, but it's an important point, IMO. Yes, everyone has to do what is in their best interests, but their best interests in the long term may not be the same as their best interests in the short term. And the problem with the short term is that it lasts a lot less time than the long term.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #47 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

One thing that free software advocates sort of need to keep in mind is, it's going to stop working at some point...
I can think of a few "freeware" products that I have been using for years- and probably will continue on for years to come...
VLC Player
CD BurnerXP
ImgBurn
Open Office Suite
Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird
Foxit PDF Reader
Real VNC
Audacity

Most of the above were created because there was either no decent commercial alternative- or in the case of the optical burning and PDF reader software- the commercial product had become too bloated for everyday simple use.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

replayrob is online now  
post #48 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's true that some "freeware" takes on a life of it's own.

It depends very much on the nature of the application and it's circumstances.

I would guess (just a guess mind you) that the ones listed have many more users then home automation software.

And then you have cases like Foxit which also come in paid versions - the free version begin an "enticement" so to speak.

One thing that can truly be said of "freeware" - the price is right. wink.gif

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
post #49 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I wasn't aware of the exact original cost of the Premise "pro" version. Thank goodness they made the professional version free instead of the personal edition (that was much more limited). I'd probably be using CQC if they hadn't wink.gif

It's ok to be philosophical. On the whole, I agree you are correct. I do agree it is very unlikely that an unpaid team would ever create something like Premise for free as they would have no monetary motivation to donate years of their time. The developers made their money off Lantronix. Lantronix in turn sold it to Motorola. Premise is an exception as it was developed by an entire team of world class programmers who left Microsoft to develop it (for profit).

I'm not sure if/when Premise will stop working. It runs fine under Windows 7. At some point a main feature may stop working though as Windows may significantly change its inner-workings, but this would take a major release of Windows. My guess is everything will run under Windows 8, but I haven't tried it. If it ever stops working in 15 years (and it very well could), I'll either run a Windows 7 virtual machine or explore other options (whichever is cheapest for me as a consumer).

If Premise wasn't built in such a versatile fashion, we wouldn't be having this conversation. However, it is. Users can easily add support for technologies that didn't exist when Premise was sold (e.g. Z-Wave). For whatever reason though, it rarely gets mentioned in threads like this, so that is why I originally brought it up. I figure if I can get 10-12 folks from AVS to try it, word may spread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

To be fair to Dean and CQC, Premise used to cost $995 when it first came out, later they had a cheaper personal edition that if I remember right sold for about $299.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

One thing that free software advocates sort of need to keep in mind is, it's going to stop working at some point...

Ultimately, the creation of significant work that requires a highly specialized skill requires that people get paid for doing it or they won't develop that skill. So, ultimately, there can be no world of free software that takes over what the world of commercial software currently provides. Not to get into politics, but there's a reason capitalism works better than some other systems who dare not speak their names here. Taking the risk to create great new products means that if there is not some substantial potential payoff, people just won't do it at the continual level of commitment over the required spans of time needed to create products of this size and caliber.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #50 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

I agree, I don't think the number of devices are the limiting factor after you cleared up that compound devices count as one. I see you changed your site so that it now says "Device Drivers." This is much clearer. IMHO, my biggest drawback with CQC is that it says you need an extended license ($849 or higher) to do what I consider basic things like Application Control, Logic Server, Web Server and XML Gateway. These are all things free options like Premise already do.
I'm confused, did you not try the speechcommander module I linked to or even read the documentation? Does it not do what you are wanting? I'm pretty sure it will work, you just can't talk into your smartphone and control things, but need an intercom system that can input into a PC's mic port. I would suggest using voice control under Tasker in Android and manually link to URL's in order to control things. I do this with Tasker and NFC tags to do all kinds of tasks.

I want to control the system from the phone with voice, I didn't see a way to do that. I can run mic's but that adds yet more expense
turbov6camaro is offline  
post #51 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Using only your phone without dialing in first (and no intercom system), the only way I know of (unless you are an experienced programmer that can use an SDK) is to use Tasker for Android, and then choose HA software that will let you actuate your devices via an "HTTP Get." This is an example of using NFC tags to actuate devices via an HTTP Get:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/22138-nfc-tags-and-premise-for-6-or-less-requires-an-android-based-phone-with-nfc-support/

The example is generic, and should work for other HA systems. If you google "Android tasker voice control" you should be able to find examples of using voice control in Tasker. Then you would follow steps 3.1 to 3.5 from the link above.

If you find a product that lets you do what you want directly without Tasker, please share!

Even better, if it was an open source Android app, maybe a Premise user can adapt the code to Premise. All that would be required is to load an XML file for the Premise setup into such an app, and write code to contextually search that XML with the app and automatically perform an HTTP Get on the desired command.

I agree with you, installing mics is not worth it. That's why I never did it. I know CastleOS will let you use gestures as it was made to work with the Kinect. I don't know if it can do what you want though. Maybe the new beta version of Homeseer can? I think HS can if you dial-in to your home, but I don't know of an app that will do it.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #52 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Using only your phone without dialing in first (and no intercom system), the only way I know of (unless you are an experienced programmer that can use an SDK) is to use Tasker for Android, and then choose HA software that will let you actuate your devices via an "HTTP Get." This is an example of using NFC tags to actuate devices via an HTTP Get:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/22138-nfc-tags-and-premise-for-6-or-less-requires-an-android-based-phone-with-nfc-support/

The example is generic, and should work for other HA systems. If you google "Android tasker voice control" you should be able to find examples of using voice control in Tasker. Then you would follow steps 3.1 to 3.5 from the link above.

If you find a product that lets you do what you want directly without Tasker, please share!

Even better, if it was an open source Android app, maybe a Premise user can adapt the code to Premise. All that would be required is to load an XML file for the Premise setup into such an app, and write code to contextually search that XML with the app and automatically perform an HTTP Get on the desired command.

I agree with you, installing mics is not worth it. That's why I never did it. I know CastleOS will let you use gestures as it was made to work with the Kinect. I don't know if it can do what you want though. Maybe the new beta version of Homeseer can? I think HS can if you dial-in to your home, but I don't know of an app that will do it.

i want to do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTj0ymhbBw

they list what they used, tasker dont bother me to use really,
turbov6camaro is offline  
post #53 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I can think of a few "freeware" products that I have been using for years- and probably will continue on for years to come...
VLC Player
CD BurnerXP
ImgBurn
Open Office Suite
Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird
Foxit PDF Reader
Real VNC
Audacity

Most of the above were created because there was either no decent commercial alternative- or in the case of the optical burning and PDF reader software- the commercial product had become too bloated for everyday simple use.

I was speaking, in this case, about something not available as source. For open source projects the issues are different. As long as it is something that is either A) fairly reasonable in complexity or B) very useful to people with money, it will likely survive indefinitely. A lot of long lived, actively developed open source stuff is in the 'plumbing' category, and are in some way useful for big businesses, who will contribute the manpower to keep them moving along. Things like Apache web server, XML, SIP, and that kind of thing.

I wrote the original C++ XML parser in the Apache project, and parts of the Java one, but my time was paid for by IBM, for instance, as were many other of my colleagues working on similar stuff, like the Unicode standard, various XML based data exchange formats and so forth.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #54 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dean Roddey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 19,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
On the Voice thing, yeh, CQC folks are using Tasker as well. For us, there are basically two schemes. One is the above HTTP GET, which sends a GET to our web server to invoke an action. Another is if you have any program that, upon voice acitivation, will send out a text string over TCP/IP. You can use our generic TCP/IP trigger driver, which you can train just as you would with an IR receiver driver, i.e. to react to an incoming signal and do something.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

 

Dean Roddey is offline  
post #55 of 58 Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yeah, I found that video today when I posted and told you what to search for.

I also found this from google (where I told you to search) that explains how everything in the video works:
http://www.pocketables.com/2013/05/how-to-use-the-autovoice-tasker-plug-in.html

In my defense, I told you how to do that two days ago with Premise (or almost any HA system) had you studied my post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477720/been-looking-at-home-automation-now-own-home-did-reading-now-confused/30#post_23458198

I do like how using toggle commands makes his system look way smarter than it is! I'm so doing that.

As a side note, and I mean no disrespect, I get the impression you don't have time to do your own research. I'm not sure what your background is (you say you're in IT), but there will be a very tough learning curve to this. I'm not saying you can't figure things out, but home automation will take a lot of individual study regardless of whichever program/technology (assuming you want things to work perfectly and the first time). This means reading all help files, watching training videos, reading tutorials online, etc... If you don't have this time to devote to study, that's ok, pay someone or buy a product with a very good technical support team you can call.

I'm not in IT and I am not a professional programmer, but I figured everything out on my own, so it can be done. However, I had to do a lot of reading and individual study to fully understand things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post

i want to do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTj0ymhbBw

they list what they used, tasker dont bother me to use really,

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #56 of 58 Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Yeah, I found that video today when I posted and told you what to search for.

I also found this from Google (where I told you to search) that explains how everything in the video works:
http://www.pocketables.com/2013/05/how-to-use-the-autovoice-tasker-plug-in.html

In my defense, I told you how to do that two days ago with Premise (or almost any HA system) had you studied my post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477720/been-looking-at-home-automation-now-own-home-did-reading-now-confused/30#post_23458198

I do like how using toggle commands makes his system look way smarter than it is! I'm so doing that.

As a side note, and I mean no disrespect, I get the impression you don't have time to do your own research. I'm not sure what your background is (you say you're in IT), but there will be a very tough learning curve to this. I'm not saying you can't figure things out, but home automation will take a lot of individual study regardless of whichever program/technology (assuming you want things to work perfectly and the first time). This means reading all help files, watching training videos, reading tutorials online, etc... If you don't have this time to devote to study, that's ok, pay someone or buy a product with a very good technical support team you can call.

I'm not in IT and I am not a professional programmer, but I figured everything out on my own, so it can be done. However, I had to do a lot of reading and individual study to fully understand things.

you didn't answer my questions really in the other posts (and the one you linked made no sense, as half it was a reply to someone else, not even a link a for some reading), I just needed to know if "premise" could let me use my phone like the video without ME writing a driver, yes or no simple answer.......I have been busy at work the last few weeks and I am in the middle of running CAT-6 in my house, got 700 ft ran this weekend and been working on it every night to get it complete and so far only one wire is has a bad pin #8 mad.gif and i have one or 2 cables left to terminate. i know 700 feet is not much but I'm working alone and its freaking hot up in the attic, I lost 4 lb in like 2 hours up there LOL

I only really just wanted basic answers, i mean it would be a full time job to research every signal freaking HA out there and i discover more all the time. like the vera 3 i havn't seen anything it can't do yet and now has really good insteon support, but I also can't find its limitation as far making if and then statement to control stuff. If anything I'm a little more confused now then i was at the thread start, i think. also i'm a very slow reader so walls of text take me a long time to read.
turbov6camaro is offline  
post #57 of 58 Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Had you followed the first link and read it, the link explains how Premise interfaces with Tasker via HTTP GET to work with NFC tags. I also say later in the same post that, yes Tasker has voice control options that you would use with steps 3.1 to 3.5 (the steps that detail how to setup an HTTP GET task with Premise) with whatever instructions for the voice control. In other words, yes Premise can do what's in the video.

If you're talking about my second post with the pocketables link (you're welcome by the way), if you can't follow that one and understand what it's saying, I'm at a loss how to help you... I thought that link was very clear (and I've never used AutoVoice), and it even has a video. I do have Premise doing exactly what's in the video though. It was very easy to setup.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is offline  
post #58 of 58 Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Newbie
 
nmcbride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would recommend getting started with an ELKM1 system, than just starting adding pieces from there. It's expandable, cross platform and most of the products are much easier to understand as you grow.
http://www.absoluteautomation.com/elk-m1gsys4-elk-m1-gold-security-and-automation-kit/
nmcbride01 is offline  
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off