Been looking at home automation - now own home, did reading - now confused!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello

I had been renting in the past and this stuff was always just a dream, we now have our own house and its great, there are a few things odd about the house wiring, while done very well, we think they left out some switches.

I don't know what technology to buy, I have an alarm system that supports Z-wave basic functions, but can something be tied to two Z-wave controllers?

But i have been reading for about 2 months and I'm even more confused now

this is what we are looking for

1. control lights, with motion and/or door openings, set times for dimming and such (like getting up night for bathroom)
1a. only have some lights turn on if it is dark outside (reduce power bill)

2. Door locks

3. I have 2 POE cameras via blue iris can these inta-great? (server already built) (will add more)

4. controllers: run off pc or there own box? (i have server (above) built if needed)

5. controller that support more than one type?

house is 2800 sq feet with pool room separating the house, (house does a U around the pool room like this:

| | | |
| | | |
| |_____| |
|_________|

house is %100 electric and has 400 amp service on separate 200amp panels (will this be an issue for power-line types?)


House does not have INTERNET at this time (unless we are home, we use our phone 4G, only internet we have, the alarm system uses the 4G)

Would like to control house with phone app, even if its just over wi-fi


I plan to start off slow and add the things we use most first overtime, but i want to have room to grow in the system as well, water garden and things would be nice, as well as temp sensors and such also.

3waylights: if we have a 3 way light, do we need to have 2 controllers for that light? or just one automation and one regular?

If motion and door sensor can also work with the alarm that's a bonus

It seem a hybrid z-wave/Insteon might be what we will need but I'm so confused now I'm not sure and don't want to waste money find out i got the wrong stuff


thanks for the help and time !!
turbov6camaro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anybody?
turbov6camaro is offline  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I think if you put more of what you are looking for in your post it would help.

For starters, are you looking for a professional or a DIY option? If DIY, what's your programming experience?

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
And how much you are prepared to spend.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

I think if you put more of what you are looking for in your post it would help.

For starters, are you looking for a professional or a DIY option? If DIY, what's your programming experience?

I will be doing this myself, I work in IT (WAN/LAN) and i can program if i can Google it tongue.gif so i would say basic stuff, I'm good with excel type stuff.

More of what I'm looking for? Light control, I would like the lights to come on when I walk in a room, in some rooms only if its dark out. I would like to have some LED lights also.

If i get up at night I would like a light (or maybe leds) in the room to to turn on at a dimmed level and light my path without blinding me, same for the bath room.

our kitchen has 3 way switches but it needs another one, I would just like to put this on a button wheres its needed rather than rewire the hole thing.

My TV is already wired up and good to go with my harmony remote but if I could set it so I can activate a movie scene from it that would be good, though the remote is on it last leg so i can change remotes.

I want to add door locks to the pool room to keep people, but mostly my future kids, out for safety reasons. security reasons are obvious lol

Fan control (i only have 5 fans, 2 are outside and need remote control very bad lol)

Garage door control

energy monitoring

Would like to have a "party" mode so doors can be unlocked and such for when we have parties

Blind control (auto for some and scene for others)

the goal is is to save power but make somethings more automated

The house has an old inter-comm form the 80's that needs fixed/updated if i could replace that with something and expand it.

I would like to a camera at the front door and a few monitors around the house to show who is there, maybe even on or phones - if that can be done over wi-fi

voice control and such would be a big cool factor- but I'm not sure we want it, don't know, I can wire the mic's and speakers that's easy. I also know this is $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I like to tinker with stuff......................

pool control, my pump runs off 110v socket, so thats easy, I use bleach in my pool so something to dose it every day would be cool.

I have a an alarm.com system for security. i dont know if they can communicate but would be cool if the lights in the house would flash if the alarm is set off, I do want to add more sierins on the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

And how much you are prepared to spend.

I dont have a lot upfront maybe $1000 over the next few months, I know this is very expensive stuff, but i just want to get the correct stuff first and build the system out over time- i don't want to grow out of the system and hit a wall, and have to spend even more money

I was looking at the ISY994 and the Vera-3 - but i can't find how much custom commands you can do on the vera

temp monitor and thing are good and will be added to the system as we have the cash

Thanks for your help
turbov6camaro is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well when building a home and money is tight you can always run the wires now for future needs. But you have an existing home. Correct?

So running wiring now may be very hard or not so hard, depending on the design of the home (one or two stories, slab or basement, etc).

There are a number of things you can do that minimize additional wiring.

For lighting control you have the power line carrier (PLC) systems like UPB (which I use) or the RF systems like Z-Wave, RadioRA2, etc.

For security there are wireless systems, the two I know are ELK and HAI (now Leviton) but there are many others that I know little of.

There are some devices that would allow you to do, for instance, A/V equipment control using WiFi.

There are wireless thermostats that would allow controlling you HVAC equipment.

If you want to DIY you can narrow your choices quite a bit as many brands of HA gear require dealer installation.

You might want to investigate HomeSeer, it is DIY friendly and supports many technologies. If you are willing to learn how to program drivers (not that hard really) you can get it to do most anything. You can buy just the software or a hardware/software bundle ready to go. It has a basic web interface built-in but it also allows a more sophisticated and custom UI using an add-on piece of software.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You could consider replacing the alarm with something that is more flexible, like the mentioned Elk M1 or the HAI/Leviton OPII. You can integrate with most other control systems well, with either of those; not stuck with z-wave, but it's also an option.

I don't know if the 200A x 2 load centers would cause an issue for UPB, but if you do some searching online, or contact a UPB manufacturer tech support line, they may be able to answer that. UPB is probably the most reliable, for DIY, from what I've read. If you have the money, Lutron RA2 is pretty good. Insteon might be another lighting control solution to consider.

+1 HomeSeer, if you don't want to replace the alarm.

Enjoy the process.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Homeseer is good if you need phone support, but personally I don't think it is as elegant of a solution.

If you want an advanced program that does all the things Homeseer does (in a much more elegant fashion), but for free, try Motorola Premise.

The neat thing about Premise is there are hundreds of user contributed modules that are opensource. These modules add functionality such as Elk M1G compatibility, Z-Wave, OBi110 integration, EventGhost integration, etc... Being an IT person with MS experience, you'll have no problem learning Premise as it was built by several ex-MS employee's.

Premise is event driven just like MS Office products you may have experience with. It also uses vbscript via Premise Builder, allowing you to create custom two-way RS232 modules from scratch or to import and modify existing modules others have built to work with an entirely new technology. You can also do a lot with just a mouse and no programming skills (watch the videos to learn more about what's possible with no programming skills).

Download it from the sticky here: http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/51-premise-home-control/

To ease you into using the interface, there's also some videos to watch at this site: http://www.mediapcforums.com/node/7

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Well when building a home and money is tight you can always run the wires now for future needs. But you have an existing home. Correct?

So running wiring now may be very hard or not so hard, depending on the design of the home (one or two stories, slab or basement, etc).

There are a number of things you can do that minimize additional wiring.

For lighting control you have the power line carrier (PLC) systems like UPB (which I use) or the RF systems like Z-Wave, RadioRA2, etc.

For security there are wireless systems, the two I know are ELK and HAI (now Leviton) but there are many others that I know little of.

There are some devices that would allow you to do, for instance, A/V equipment control using WiFi.

There are wireless thermostats that would allow controlling you HVAC equipment.

If you want to DIY you can narrow your choices quite a bit as many brands of HA gear require dealer installation.

You might want to investigate HomeSeer, it is DIY friendly and supports many technologies. If you are willing to learn how to program drivers (not that hard really) you can get it to do most anything. You can buy just the software or a hardware/software bundle ready to go. It has a basic web interface built-in but it also allows a more sophisticated and custom UI using an add-on piece of software.

I have 1000 Feet of cat 6 in my storage room..... wires do not scare me, the house is on a slab but getting wires down the wall is not hard, very HOT, but not hard smile.gifsmile.gif, outdoor walls would be harder but not impossible tongue.gif

I would prefer something be reliable and responsive rather than easy to install, witch is interesting you mention Z-wave where you did, a guy at work has all insteon and say he don't have any trouble with it.

HVAC - I have this - Installed it myself - i have the outdoor sensor, and the in/out temp sensors wired up for delta-t
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZU295O/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted something else for automation, but:
1. I have Geo-thermal - you don't change the temp with geo much- if at all
2. was the only reliable one i found to work with Geo-thermal - and recommend buy 3 geo-thermal installers in my area (house had old mercury switch lol)
3. I don't have a consent internet connection at the house anyway.
4. ifi do get internet I can buy the unti for this and still have remote access to the house HVAC if i want

I dont mind if my alarm system stay separate, I have an app for it already - if there is a way to use the aralm to access my own sys that would be cool

I have never written drivers, but its something that I would not mind learning to do !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

You could consider replacing the alarm with something that is more flexible, like the mentioned Elk M1 or the HAI/Leviton OPII. You can integrate with most other control systems well, with either of those; not stuck with z-wave, but it's also an option.

I don't know if the 200A x 2 load centers would cause an issue for UPB, but if you do some searching online, or contact a UPB manufacturer tech support line, they may be able to answer that. UPB is probably the most reliable, for DIY, from what I've read. If you have the money, Lutron RA2 is pretty good. Insteon might be another lighting control solution to consider.

+1 HomeSeer, if you don't want to replace the alarm.

Enjoy the process.

Thanks

Is the homesteer worth the cost ?

I have a raid 10 server that will run 24/7 in the house so software is an option for me
turbov6camaro is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Homeseer is good if you need phone support, but personally I don't think it is as elegant of a solution.

If you want an advanced program that does all the things Homeseer does (in a much more elegant fashion), but for free, try Motorola Premise.

The neat thing about Premise is there are hundreds of user contributed modules that are opensource. These modules add functionality such as Elk M1G compatibility, Z-Wave, OBi110 integration, EventGhost integration, etc... Being an IT person with MS experience, you'll have no problem learning Premise as it was built by several ex-MS employee's.

Premise is event driven just like MS Office products you may have experience with. It also uses vbscript via Premise Builder, allowing you to create custom two-way RS232 modules from scratch or to import and modify existing modules others have built to work with an entirely new technology. You can also do a lot with just a mouse and no programming skills (watch the videos to learn more about what's possible with no programming skills).

Download it from the sticky here: http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/51-premise-home-control/

To ease you into using the interface, there's also some videos to watch at this site: http://www.mediapcforums.com/node/7

Thanks I will look into this smile.gif as i said above, I have a server that will run 24/7 already (dual core 8GB ram Windows 7) 4.5TB raid 10 array in the server
turbov6camaro is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Given that you have a server and appear willing to tackle most any task you should also take a look at Charmed Quark Systems: http://www.charmedquark.com

It's a elegant and versatile system.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Charmed Quark (CQC) is over priced (IMHO). The number of devices and clients greatly varies depending on which version you buy. $1599 for only 80 devices, 15 clients and all options; 10 devices, 1 client and "some" options for $199?!? The pricing is all over the place, and there's no way I'd ever pay $849 (the cheapest version with "all options", but still limited to only 30 devices).
http://www.charmedquark.com/#/BuyIt

I'll stick with Premise which is free and lets me have as many clients and devices I want (and comes with all options including a full fledged SDK for C++ and .net). I don't mind paying a developer if they build something entirely new and there's actually features not found elsewhere in free software, but I'm just not seeing the value of CQC (IMHO). I'm sure the one guy who wrote CQC is highly skilled, but I'd also question his abilities against the entire team and millions of dollars that went into Premise.

I also think Homeseer is overpriced, but they run a half off sale typically around Thanksgiving and other holidays which makes their pro software very affordable. I think it comes out to $299 for their pro version with all plugins during the sale. I've heard of folks ditching Homeseer for Premise (too many crashes), but I've also heard of folks ditching Premise for Homeseer (for actual tech support they can call)... Basically, they both support the same equipment so what you buy to work with Premise will also work with Homeseer if you want to try it later on. I can tell Premise can run 24/7 for years and never hiccup (assuming it is programmed and setup properly).

There are a few exceptions that make Premise much more powerful than others... This is because there are some really neat modules users have made:
1. BetaBrite LED signs (displaying what's playing in a theater, system warnings etc...)
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/16922-download-betabrite-module-for-classic-and-prism-led-signs/
http://betabrite.com/

2. OBi110 module that uses a OBi110 to track missed calls, dialed numbers, etc... (I haven't seen this in any other HA system)
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/21074-download-module-obihai-obi110-driver/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833617002

3. The ability to work with URC's Complete Control remotes such as the MX-900 and MX-980 (this is neat if you don't want to use touch screens)
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/18691-advanced-rf-and-ir-control-for-premise/

4. Full weather data including alerts from Weather Underground (used to announce storm alerts, etc...)
http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/189-module-weather-underground-driver/

5. An opensource Z-Wave driver (supports locks, motion and door sensors, switches, dimmers, thermostats, etc...)
http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/176-vrc0p-z-wave-module-for-premise/

There are 112 other free modules folks have been posted, but you get the idea of what you can do with just vbscript! (none of the above required the C++/.net sdk). I also prefer the real-time compiling environment; you can develop new modules with only knowledge of vbscript and see the results in real-time.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can always get a free trial and try them, both CQC and Premise are stable, both have strong and weak points, since Premise is free I would try it first to see if it meets your needs. I can't comment on Homeseer because I have not used it in a long term setup, the new version 3 beta is out so I might try it out.

I will say that even though I am using CQC now, if Premise was still being devolped it would be my first choice and I would pay for it as it has some features that are still quite impressive compared to other programs.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm glad you are happy with Premise. I never tried it since it was "abandonware" but if there is an active community supporting it that's great.

I do have one question: what do you mean by "real-time compiling"? VBScript is an interpreted language.

Regards the pricing of these various systems.

CQC may be seem expensive but I consider the "Unobtainium" licenses fairly priced given what the system can do and the support you get in return.

A Elan g! with the entry level controller and a pro license for each module (and nothing else) is in excess of $7000 MSRP (last time I checked). By the time you add in a touch screen or two, some HR2 remotes, etc you can easily end up past $10,000 - $15,000. Pricey perhaps but it is a great system, easy to install, easy to maintain.

By comparison HomeSeer (pro) at $600 is a steal.

When I get some free time I'm going to check out Premise and see where it stands today. Thanks for mentioning it.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post


...it has some features that are still quite impressive compared to other programs.

Could you elaborate on that, please.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What I mean by real-time compiling is you can make programming changes in vbscript and quickly see them in the real world (e.g. controlling a hardware device etc...). You do have to click a single "commit" button. It is true that clicking this commit button is kind of like compiling. I guess it must pause execution long enough to update some hidden internal working file. Then, as you state a C++ vbscript interpreter is called to interpret the vbscript as necessary during execution. This does impose a limit as all the vbscript code is run in a single thread. A single thread is plenty for home automation tasks though. Another neat feature is if you change an objects properties, you can see those changes in your browser.

My main point before is very powerful modules can be developed with very little scripting experience once you get used to the event driven object oriented architecture, in a very nice windows based IDE (called Premise Builder).

Using the SDK for Premise development drove me mad as you'd have to compile the add-in in Visual Studio, put the new dll file in the proper location, then re-add it to Premise. If something didn't work right, you'd have to re-perform all of those steps starting from Visual Studio again (potentially dozens of times as you developed a complex module). Of course, with an add-in compiled in this manner the source code is hidden and add-ins run in their own thread; both are advantages over using vbscript.

You are right, compared to the pricing of CQC, Homeseer is a bargain at full price! I'd still wait for the sale if I were to buy it though (I know I never will). Premise can seriously do everything these overly expensive programs do, and for free.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for the additional information regards Premise. The issue with just a single thread for VBScript is a potential problem which appears to have an answer in the SDK. That is good to know.

What about the UI? Can it be totally custom?

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Explaining these advantages here would take too long and would not make any sense without numerous pictures (unless you are familiar with Premise).

The layered object oriented architecture (home layer, device layer etc...) is discussed in one of the tutorial videos here:
http://www.mediapcforums.com/node/7

I was wondering what happened to Wayne. I guess he jumped ship to CQC :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Could you elaborate on that, please.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yes. SYS, the service that runs Premise, has it's own web server. There are two default variations you modify from Builder, an HTML based version and an activex version. The activex version is pretty nice as it's two-way and doesn't require polling (uses some sort of subscription mechanism). Of course, you can make your own UI from scratch or modify any of the existing UI's.

As an example (work in progress), here is an example that uses jquery to create a nice UI for smartphones: http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/201-jqm-alpha/
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Thanks for the additional information regards Premise. The issue with just a single thread for VBScript is a potential problem which appears to have an answer in the SDK. That is good to know.

What about the UI? Can it be totally custom?

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Could you elaborate on that, please.

Watch the training video on MSense, maybe ETC6849 knows where the link is, I have been away from Premise about a year and half now and I don't have
All the links bookmarked.

The Stock Interfaces that come with Premise look like they are from the stone age but some people have built complete custom GUI's for Premise, Damon Dean is the one that really
knows how to get the most out of Premise, he also did training videos. It is possible to modify the stock GUI but it is not fun.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post


I was wondering what happened to Wayne. I guess he jumped ship to CQC :P

Wayne is an old fart that decided he wanted jump ship more than he wanted to learn how to write proper drivers for stuff like my HTD matrix switch, Squeezebox, SageTV, ISY99i and an energy monitor. CQC had these drivers already available along with an IOS app and easy to customize GUI.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I would wait for the jquery module to be finished. It is based on 123's minibrowser (which was pure HTML with a little javascript). The jquery module (JQM) uses AJAX that sends XML data in the back ground so there is two-way feedback of device state changes.

Modifying Minibrowser is very easy. Modifying the activex version called AutomationBrowser is more difficult, but several of us have done modifications as well as written many new modules that work with it.

PS: Wayne, if you ever want to switch back, I'm willing to contract out my time on nights and weekends. I don't think the module's you are looking for will be built in the near future. The main thing in the works is an XBMC module (haven't seen it yet) and the JQuery module (I've seen two revisions of this). I do plan to make a module for a Keydigital Matrix HDMI switch, but I don't own one yet.

I just posted an EventGhost module that is very cool though:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/22883-download-premiseeventghost/

EventGhost is a Windows based program to automate all kinds of tasks on your PC. The module allows for two-way communication between Premise and any PC running EventGhost over a TCP socket.

Imagine being able to know if your kids are up late using the computer, being able to make custom hotkeys on your keyboard to control anything in your home, turning any PC on/off with Premise, using any PC to speak system messages, a smart screen saver that knows when you have left the room, better occupancy detection by monitoring PC activity (not just motion and door sensors), etc... These are just a few of the things possible with EventGhost and Premise.

I'd been using it for a few months, but decided to finally give it out for free wink.gif

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
is there a phone app for the premise?

I'm thinking about trying it first for some basic stuff, to see if we like/will use the system, and the $250+ i would spend on controller I could spend on a few modules.

does premise support voice command (the wife wants voice commands lol)
turbov6camaro is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Premise has its own web server. Does your phone have a web browser? wink.gif

Seriously though, if you want an app (instead of using a browser) use this webview app for Android:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/170-android-sys-webview-app/

All the app does is display a webpage, but it works well with my phone and gets rid of the address bar. I use it everyday under Cyanogenmod 10.1. I designed the webview app to look and feel like an app. A few benefits of the app over the stock browser are orientation selection, a refresh after touch feature, automatic page refreshing based on an interval, username/password storage, etc...

Voice control:
Yes it can do that if you have microphones installed throughout your home. I don't use it, but search the support forum to see how:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/51-premise-home-control/ I believe all the tools needed are posted.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Premise has its own web server. Does your phone have a web browser? wink.gif

Seriously though, if you want an app (instead of using a browser) use this webview app for Android:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/170-android-sys-webview-app/

All the app does is display a webpage, but it works well with my phone and gets rid of the address bar. I use it everyday under Cyanogenmod 10.1. I designed the webview app to look and feel like an app. A few benefits of the app over the stock browser are orientation selection, a refresh after touch feature, automatic page refreshing based on an interval, username/password storage, etc...

Voice control:
Yes it can do that if you have microphones installed throughout your home. I don't use it, but search the support forum to see how:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/51-premise-home-control/ I believe all the tools needed are posted.

has web browser but app is much better LOL

so to get started i need to download and install, what do i need hardware wise (not finding this info) I know the other sensors oubously
turbov6camaro is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post



PS: Wayne, if you ever want to switch back, I'm willing to contract out my time on nights and weekends. I don't think the module's you are looking for will be built in the near future. The main thing in the works is an XBMC module (haven't seen it yet) and the JQuery module (I've seen two revisions of this). I do plan to make a module for a Keydigital Matrix HDMI switch, but I don't own one yet.

Thanks, I plan to stay with CQC unless something new comes out that is a game changer.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Be sure to read the wiki linked in my signature. You don't need any hardware to install the Premise Builder. Once you install the program, read all of the help files. They provide a great overview of what's possible and you can even set up the web interface now without any hardware, including any customization you want.

Start with some basic hardware:
I use Global Cache for IR control (maybe the GC-100-12 for IR and RS232), VRC0P +3 for Z-Wave, Levitons USB stick to program the Z-Wave network, some Vizia RF+ lights, a Z-Wave thermostat, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post

has web browser but app is much better LOL

so to get started i need to download and install, what do i need hardware wise (not finding this info) I know the other sensors oubously

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
that's what i meant

I need the VRC0P +3 - this takes the signal from the PC and puts it out to the z-wave devices right? ~$about $120

the USB stick, you need this to program the z-wave devices, so you only need this to add new stuff to your network and initial setup right? ~$100


I'm going to put my server in the proper place and run some cat6 this weekend so i may install the software and play around with it smile.gif

so still about $250 to get started....... still not bad

I had one qestion if you dont mind, the fan in the master bed is on a 3 way, both the light and the fan on the switch.

assuming they ran the 14-3 to the fan (i freaking hope so!!)

I will need to upgrade the main box to a 2 gang and put hte fan control in and one dimmer for the light control right? then the other switch i'll need to install the "dummy" z-wave switch correct? (so ill need a 3way dimmer set for the light. and since I want to use LED's (or be LED ready) leviton is the only option?)
turbov6camaro is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
etc6849's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yes, that will work if you use Leviton Vizia RF+. Use the "coordinating" dimmers along with a VRS06 or similar Vizia RF+ dimmer (for the three way lighting circuit). These coordinating dimmers are only for Vizia RF+ switches and dimmers. I think now they are called "dimmer remotes," but it is the same thing. I have a 4 way lighting circuit set up with them that works great. It's pretty neat.

Don't wire a fan to a normal dimmer. Use a 15A Vizia RF+ switch or a Vizia RF+ fan controller. Use a fan controller iff you find a compatible "dimmer remote" and want three way fan control. I suspect you'll have to pick three-way lighting or three-way fan control unless you run another traveler. Three way lights can be tricky. If you don't know, check Leivton's site, call them, call your distributor and maybe hire an electrician. I think the VP00R-10Z coordinating dimmer will work with their fan controllers, but be sure to check. ASIHome (Worthington Distribution) is a very good distributor to call.

Also, be sure to read the documents at the Leviton knowledge base. There's also free online Vizia RF+ courses you can sign up for with any email address. Follow this link and all links under it: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=38971&minisite=10251

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
etc6849 is online now  
Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post

that's what i meant

I need the VRC0P +3 - this takes the signal from the PC and puts it out to the z-wave devices right? ~$about $120

the USB stick, you need this to program the z-wave devices, so you only need this to add new stuff to your network and initial setup right? ~$100


I'm going to put my server in the proper place and run some cat6 this weekend so i may install the software and play around with it smile.gif

so still about $250 to get started....... still not bad

I had one qestion if you dont mind, the fan in the master bed is on a 3 way, both the light and the fan on the switch.

assuming they ran the 14-3 to the fan (i freaking hope so!!)

I will need to upgrade the main box to a 2 gang and put hte fan control in and one dimmer for the light control right? then the other switch i'll need to install the "dummy" z-wave switch correct? (so ill need a 3way dimmer set for the light. and since I want to use LED's (or be LED ready) leviton is the only option?)

so this wires to the fan to controll it
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HT4M4I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I will then add a 2gang to the wall for the light control witch i could use
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U3Z6YG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HT4M4I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or like this
http://www.amazon.com/GE-45614-Wireless-Lighting-Control/dp/B0035YUOWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371835166&sr=8-2&keywords=z-wave+3-way+dimmer

so the fan would only be controlled from one spot and the light from 2 spots, witch is fine for this fan


one thing on the voice control for Premise, you say it supports it, but I don't see anything recent of what to get (even if it supports from my/our phones that's fine) I found tasker but does that work with premise? I searched al lthe modules for down load and nothing about voice control in there
turbov6camaro is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off