Basic Wi-Fi / iPhone Remote On/Off switch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys.. I have a air conditioning unit in my apartment that has some ability to be remotely turned on and off by a switch. I would just like the ability to turn on the A/C on my way home from work so that the apartment can start cooling down before I get in the door.

Here's the manual: http://manualslib.com/manual/251269/Ge-Zoneline-Az58h12dad.html?page=8. It looks like there are a few options.. Motion Sensor, Door Sensor, Central Desk Control, or a full blown remote thermostat. I was thinking the Central Desk Control might be the easiest.

I'd love to be able to control this using my phone and an app or website to turn it on or off (more importantly, just ON). Any ideas on a basic product that can be controlled from the web or iPhone that could do something as basic as connecting two wires to complete a circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
It will be interesting to read replies to this, but I would think that something like a Nest thermostat, if it can integrate directly with that unit, provides a straightforward out of the box solution that includes Internet control for what you want.

Once you leave your home network, then you are getting into the world of needing a device which can speak to your home from the outside world and do so securely. I'm not aware of this being straightforward, so it may require you to have some networking skill and being willing to leave a PC on 24/7 running software you designed yourself, etc., etc.

The Nest just kind of has it all built in. I believe some other manufacturers have it all built in as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes seems like your best option is to use a wifi thermostat. That way not only can you control on/off but you can adjust temperature and if you mount it somewhere closer to the center of your living space it will be better at maintaining that temperature.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A2054378011%2Ck%3Awifi+thermostat&keywords=wifi+thermostat&ie=UTF8
post #4 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM

I'm no DIY genius, but I would think it shouldn't be too hard to either find or rig up a remote-controlled "solenoid" that would complete a simple circuit. Maybe some kind of Arduino deal. Depending on how much of a tinkerer you are, that might be cheaper and more rewarding than dropping a bunch of $$ on a WiFi thermostat.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The problem with a single contact (that just cuts the 24AC control voltage in/out) is that it will not always work. You have no way of knowing for sure the AC will come on, without also controlling the temperature set point of the thermostat first as someone may have played with it while the OP is away. This limits all the simple hacks (plus he's in an apartment and shouldn't do hacking unless he owns the equipment).

I'm also not sure how you'd easily hook up a normal z-wave or wifi thermostat to this wall unit, but it seems like a possibility. Here's the manual the OP should read: http://www.geappliances.com/products/introductions/zoneline/download/800_series_data_manual.pdf (Google is your friend wink.gif )

The OP will have to tell us if he/she can read and understand the manual, its wiring schematics and use a volt meter. Assuming this is the case, we can discuss from there (after the OP reads the manual and studies his unit).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found
post #6 of 9 Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM

Any WiFi relay setup is going to cost at least $60. For not much more (eg Filtrete 3M50 on ebay) you get a thermostat that gives you a lot more including current temperature, programs, local control, remote access, free app store apps, etc... without any effort.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You're looking for a contact closure. Global Cache makes a few gateways that can do this both via wifi or a wired network. The GC-100-12 and 18 models can do it, as well as the Wifi to Contact Closure iTach, IP to Contact Closure iTach, and the new iTach Flex.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

You're looking for a contact closure. Global Cache makes a few gateways that can do this both via wifi or a wired network. The GC-100-12 and 18 models can do it, as well as the Wifi to Contact Closure iTach, IP to Contact Closure iTach, and the new iTach Flex.
iTach flex does not do contact closure. contact closure is not an ideal solution for reasons stated in the 2 posts above yours.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 AM

Hello,

i think you can use the WIFI remote products from http://www.wifipower.fr
depend on your electrical configuration, the WP-PANEL-SW8 may be a good solution. you can control 8 SPDT circuits with that device.
or if you need to control directly to power line, up to 3680watts, you can check the WP-PANEL-REL2.

best regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavidge View Post

Hey guys.. I have a air conditioning unit in my apartment that has some ability to be remotely turned on and off by a switch. I would just like the ability to turn on the A/C on my way home from work so that the apartment can start cooling down before I get in the door.

Here's the manual: http://manualslib.com/manual/251269/Ge-Zoneline-Az58h12dad.html?page=8. It looks like there are a few options.. Motion Sensor, Door Sensor, Central Desk Control, or a full blown remote thermostat. I was thinking the Central Desk Control might be the easiest.

I'd love to be able to control this using my phone and an app or website to turn it on or off (more importantly, just ON). Any ideas on a basic product that can be controlled from the web or iPhone that could do something as basic as connecting two wires to complete a circuit?
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page