IP Camera Recommendation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a couple IP cameras to use as glorified baby monitors. There seem to be thousands of these things out there with many different features, so I was hoping someone here could recommend something that would fit.

I'm looking for something that's got:

* Ability to connect wirelessly to a router via WPA2
* Good quality night vision
* Two-way audio (e.g., intercom)
* Ideally 1080p, but would settle for less
* Viewable via iOS devices from within the LAN (i.e., don't need to connect to an external website to view)
* Reasonably easy to configure and secure
* Ability to remotely tilt, pan, and zoom

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Foscam makes a few relatively inexpensive models. Finding one that has remote zoom might be the toughest requirement. I also don't know what 'iOS devices' are. Are they some kind of watered down browsing device? The Foscam cameras have a built in webserver so support standard web browsers.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out Speco Technologies new Plug and Play Work NVR and IP cameras. They have the PoE switch built right into the NVR. Setup is a cinch, you pretty much just plug the IP camera into their NVR and it configures itself. Please let me know if you have any questions.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I also don't know what 'iOS devices' are
iPod, iPad, iPhone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanworthdist View Post

Check out Speco Technologies new Plug and Play Work NVR and IP cameras. They have the PoE switch built right into the NVR. Setup is a cinch, you pretty much just plug the IP camera into their NVR and it configures itself. Please let me know if you have any questions.
For 1k it had better be a cinch. He didn't mention recording as a requirement.

Foscam is probably the easiest option w/ PT and supported by many iOS apps. Otherwise u can consider dropcam and belkin netcam without PT.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324 View Post

Quote:

I also don't know what 'iOS devices' are
iPod, iPad, iPhone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanworthdist View Post

For 1k it had better be a cinch. He didn't mention recording as a requirement.

Foscam is probably the easiest option w/ PTZ and supported by many iOS apps. Otherwise u can consider dropcam and belkin netcam without PTZ.
Oh I see. Do the iPod, iPad, iPhone have a normal browser? I know I can watch my Foscam cameras on my Android tablet, but it has Google Chrome. I also have Blue Iris running on a Windows 7 machine and that not only records but can be used over the network. So yeah. The Foscams can be watched by just about anything with a browser. As I pointed out though, there is no zoom, just pan and tilt.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Oh I see. Do the iPod, iPad, iPhone have a normal browser? I know I can watch my Foscam cameras on my Android tablet, but it has Google Chrome. I also have Blue Iris running on a Windows 7 machine and that not only records but can be used over the network. So yeah. The Foscams can be watched by just about anything with a browser. As I pointed out though, there is no zoom, just pan and tilt.

Yes they have a relatively normal browser Mobile Safari. But there are tons of IP camera apps on the app store so really it is preferable to use one of those. I wonder if pan and tilt is really necessary when watching a baby (sleep).
post #7 of 7 Old 07-14-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I ended up going with the TrendNET TV-IP672WI. I'd rate it as good but not great. Easy enough to set up, very poorly supported though. The free apps from TrendNET are kind of a joke at the moment. There are three apps that all ostensibly do the same thing, and only one of them works with this camera. It does appear that there are third-party apps for cheap (~ $5) that would likely do the trick though if necessary.

I looked at Speco; their cameras were way too expensive for what I need. And the Foscam that's got the features that I need had some pretty negative reviews on Amazon.

PTZ is not really crucial for watching a baby sleep in a crib; it becomes a bit more important when that baby becomes a 2-year old and starts randomly walking around their room. smile.gif
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page