What's the difference between companies like Crestron/C4 and Insteon? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

I don't know that you need the 300W power supply, but...?

Good question. The shades are low voltage shades, and the 300 watt power supply is probably for powering them. As well as a few other components there that run on a 24 volt DC bus. In other words, it's legit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
How about instead of the SWAMP go with a C2N-AMP-4X100 (or two)? That should save $4-5k, right David?

B.
post #33 of 42 Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can ask the dealer to sell you any Crestron gear for dealer plus five per cent. Crestron doesn't tell their dealers how much to charge and most will sell to you for a little bit over dealer since they make their money with the programming and upkeep.
post #34 of 42 Old 08-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravonoj View Post

You can ask the dealer to sell you any Crestron gear for dealer plus five per cent.
nalamo777, please don't listen to this type of advice, it's a sure fire way to make companies want to have nothing to do with you. Doing this type of thing is only going to make you look bad and alienate them and they'll likely walk away laughing. You might as well ask them to pay you to work for you, 0 difference.

Please note, it's one thing to ask them for a discount, as Brian suggested perhaps you should do, and maybe they'll say yes and maybe they'll say no, it's another to ask them to sell you everything at 5% over cost, which means at the end of the day they'd be losing a massive amount of money on your project, because a 5% markup isn't even remotely enough to stay in business.
Quote:
Crestron doesn't tell their dealers how much to charge and most will sell to you for a little bit over dealer since they make their money with the programming and upkeep.
Completely false. Those are the areas where a decent percentage of dealers are lucky to even make money on, and for those that do, it's certainly not "where they make their money".
post #35 of 42 Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the warning, David Haddad. The dealer gave me 2 references and I emailed them questions on their experience with them. Waiting to hear back. I haven't heard from anyone with any knowledge on this particular dealer and they don't come up when I search for installers in the area.

I emailed two other dealers in the nyc area with a detailed description of what I'm looking for. Hopefully, this will help me ascertain the best installer/product for my needs which is the bottom line.

Owning a home, finding a good contractor, and installing features I need is a brand new experience. It has been exhausting but rewarding. I'm learning a lot from you guys and am very grateful smile.gif

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
post #36 of 42 Old 08-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalamo777 View Post

Thanks for the warning, David Haddad. The dealer gave me 2 references and I emailed them questions on their experience with them. Waiting to hear back.
Sounds good. Always good to check references if someone has not been referred to you.
Quote:
I haven't heard from anyone with any knowledge on this particular dealer and they don't come up when I search for installers in the area.
When you say searched, do you mean on the Internet?
Quote:
I emailed two other dealers in the nyc area with a detailed description of what I'm looking for. Hopefully, this will help me ascertain the best installer/product for my needs which is the bottom line.
Sounds good too!
Quote:
Owning a home, finding a good contractor, and installing features I need is a brand new experience. It has been exhausting but rewarding. I'm learning a lot from you guys and am very grateful smile.gif
You have a great attitude. Going through the building experience can be very stressful. But it can also be fun. A lot of that will depend on how good the contractor and others you work with are.

I see both sides of the equation a lot, with the homes we work on, as well as the people that do work for me. One thing I've found is key to good results is both sides having respect for the other, which is why I responded as I did above. When someone does work for me I want a fair price, but I also want them to be profitable. In exchange I want good work from them. My experience is that if you choose vendors very carefully and and treat them well, they'll usually work really hard for you in return.
post #37 of 42 Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad View Post

When you say searched, do you mean on the Internet?

Yes. I see they're mainly based out of Miami, FL but I'm not seeing reviews for them there either.

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
post #38 of 42 Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM

I'm not sure what type of reviews you're looking for, but in case it makes you feel better, you're typically not going to find reviews on the Internet for companies doing this type of high-end specialized work. You may find articles that have been done about them in a trade publication, or something like that, but you won't find user reviews. But again, I'm not sure what you mean when you say reviews.
post #39 of 42 Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
make sure they will provide you with uncomplied source code for crestron ( touchpanel and controller ). If you decide to add, or change something in the future, and you won't be willing to use the same vendor again, without the source code, you will have to reprogram the entire system.
David Haddad and nalamo777 like this.

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
post #40 of 42 Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
If you haven't done so already, you might check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints. I don't know about the BBB in your area, but they may have a file even if the firm isn't a member.

Not being a member doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. Some firms just don't care to pay the dues or don't see the value in being a member.
post #41 of 42 Old 08-12-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Though you can probably find complaints on the internet about every single company in existence, and wouldn't know if it's a competitor trying to whack them or a legitimate complaint.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #42 of 42 Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad View Post

I'm not sure what type of reviews you're looking for, but in case it makes you feel better, you're typically not going to find reviews on the Internet for companies doing this type of high-end specialized work. You may find articles that have been done about them in a trade publication, or something like that, but you won't find user reviews. But again, I'm not sure what you mean when you say reviews.

When I said reviews, I meant reviews online from customers. As for the 2 references I received, one wrote back and it's clear she just got a Crestron system because that's what was recommended to her and she could afford it. Her needs didn't seem incredibly complex. I asked about 10 questions including if they were familiar with other systems, what led them to choose Crestron, How did they choose that dealer, how long have they had their system, have there been any problems/repairs, etc. I just don't think I need a system like Crestron if Control4 can do the same thing given I have a good installer.

I told the dealer I don't think I need a Crestron system. He says it's Crestron or nothing. I don't mind paying the money if it's a fair price for the work, but I'm not convinced Control4 wouldn't be a great product for my needs provided I have a good installer.

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page