Security and HA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just moved into a new (old) house and wanting to add not only lighting automation, but also some form of security system as well.

I have quite a bit of positive experience with Insteon, so I'm planning on using that for the lighting control throughout the house with an ISY994i controller. That part I have down pretty well.

Because of the proximity to the city, I want to add a simple security system as well. This is where I start getting out of my comfort zone. Security wise, I want to keep it simple. 2 wireless door sensors, 6 wireless window sensors, a motion detector or two, and a interior/exterior horn. Preferably tied into the Insteon network so it knows when we're in or out. I've looked at the Elk M1EZ8 and it looks quite reasonable.

But then I've also started thinking about a front door and rear door camera. Something inconspicuous (though it doesn't have to be covert). And probably something that will email me if the security system is on and it detects motion. Maybe? I don't anticipate sitting at a monitor watching the cameras, so I'm thinking something like that makes sense. But I haven't a clue how to find an appropriate camera system that now integrates with Insteon and the Elk.

Any suggestions? I know I'm wishy-washy about the camera thing, so I'd be happy to hear any suggestions you all have.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Example: http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/DVR-Alarm-Input-Setup-s/717.htm
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I took a look at their 4 camera system and it does meet the requirements. Is there anything more cost effective (cheaper)? I'm not sure I can justify the $1,100 price tag to get notified when UPS drops off a package. Then again, maybe the peace of mind is worthwhile.

Do any of the single WiFi camera solutions ($150-$300) work decently with a HA and/or security system? Or is it not worth the hassle?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That was just an example because it had a good writeup. There are cheaper DVRs/NVRs that have similar features. You can do something similar with Foscam WiFi cameras by sending it commands over the network to enable/disable motion alarms. It can also report motion to a HA system over a URL.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Liked: 11
If you don't mind using hobby software then my Digital Home Server (http://www.digitalhomeserver.net) might be a good candidate. I have a module for IP cameras (MJPEG only), and I use it with Foscam IP Cams and it works great. It has motion detection, and combined with the HA modules you can take action (e.g. email) when motion is detected. I support the RFXCOM gateways which work with a lot of hardware.

And it's for free...

Soitjes.

My Digital Home Server - http://www.digitalhomeserver.net
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page