Lighting control. SmartThings w/ Jasco switches? Or Control4? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I'm finishing up my remodel of my house, and electrical is about to finish off trim (light switches, etc)

I'm deciding on what to do about lighting. Has anyone use the Jasco light switches. Z-wave?
http://www.amazon.com/Jasco-Z-Wave-Wireless-Lighting-Control/dp/B0035YRCR2

I'm probably going to use www.smartthings.com as the controler to start doing some home automation. I want to control skylights, somfy blinds, garage door, lighting, attic fans, etc.
But right now i have to figure out what to install for light switches. If I go Z-wave it's probably these Jasco's unless anyone knows of anything better

I've also considered going control4, but of course that's about 10X investment, but I could then control A/V as well.

As of now I was going to do iRule for the control of the shades and main TV. all the equipment is in a closet, I just need to turn on/off amp, projector, and switch inputs on the amp. mostly i'm using Rok3 which I control via IP.

thermostat is 4 nests which will be separate until there's an API.

cameras I'm doing dropcams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Liked: 11
Spend some time doing more research... SmartThings controller cannot do all that. Jasco is generally a good brand, GE rebrands them under their own label. Control4 is not necessary in today's automation market, you'll just be throwing money away.

Founder for the CastleOS Home Automation System, featuring Kinect integration www.CastleOS.com
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCicc View Post

Spend some time doing more research... SmartThings controller cannot do all that. Jasco is generally a good brand, GE rebrands them under their own label. Control4 is not necessary in today's automation market, you'll just be throwing money away.

actually, smartthings can do those things. I'm lucky enough to know the CEO/CTO and they are helping me customize a lot of things.. I'll be one of the first to try quite a bit.

Definitely can do lighting, garage sensor, skylights and shades (although the shades we'll tie into something like a global cache). As long as theirs contact switches for the skylights/shades etc it'll work. There's a ton of things they can do with Arduino controllers.

I just wasn't sure about the GE/Jasco stuff.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You'll find more information on the various z-wave switches at the micasaverde forums. Premium options such as Vizia RF exist as well.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM

Liked: 10
I have the smartthings and with each update it seems to be more and more stable. I don't have it integrated into a whole lot yet - just getting started. But it it seems to work great for what I have done with it.

I am going to be ordering a bunch of GE switches soon to start playing with it even more! - Can't wait
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page