Whole house Audio/automation help please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently building a home and I am doing the electrical myself. I am in the rough in phase and need to start making my decisions on how I am going to set up my audio/video and automation. I will be using a vera lite home automation controller and i am told russound will work fine with that. I wouldn't say I am a beginner at the more technical aspects in terms of media and home automation but my knowledge is limited. I am more worried about the whole house audio side of things rather than the video. Not having the video is not a deal breaker for me and i've currently been looking at 6 zone audio systems. Of course if a system could do what i needed, and video was an extra option, that would be great but at the right price. So what i really want is control of at least 6 zones which will have their speakers hardwired. I have already begun running the speaker wire and have ran cat 5e to each zone for whatever volume control it needs. I want to, through an app on my phone and Possibly the local volume controls, be able to have the option to play music through a home network hardrive or external hardrive or multiple external hardrives, so my wife could access a library of songs in one room and play a song and I could access a library in another room and play a different song. If this could come from one library or source that would be great. I want to limit the amount of wireless play happening, so i would like the hardrive to be directly hooked into the system, however i would still like the option for someone to play their own library of music(and internet stream) from their own phone on a zone, and someone else to play their own library of music(and stream) from their phone to a different zone. And of course i would also like the option to hardwire things to the receiver like cd players etc..
Maybe this is too much to ask , but i would really love some advice and some suggestions on what could achieve this and how it would achieve it.
Hope i was clear and i would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-06-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
NuVo P3100 / P100 / P200 units or an equivalent number of Sonos Connect:Amps - one per zone you'd like. That will not have any keypads, but will get you the rest of what you want.

The NuVo P200 has Bluetooth support for linking to mobile devices, but both systems have support for digital libraries, Pandora, and Internet Radio. Sonos has additional support for more online services as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You may want to consider:

A modern A/V receiver for each zone which has built in airplay, apps, DLNA, bluetooth. These are very affordable now.

A single 12-channel amp with multiple inputs combined with cheap DLNA/Airplay endpoints (WDTV, appletv, airport express, google tv, etc...).

The money you save over a whole-house audio system can be used to buy some extra tablets to use as controllers.

You may want to consult some of the other forums such as A/V Distribution, Audio.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks guys, I will look into your suggestions
post #5 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Do you think i could accomplish what i want with a russound CAA66K and a sonos connect?
post #6 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibracobra View Post

Do you think i could accomplish what i want with a russound CAA66K and a sonos connect?

Well, that's only one source (with a single Sonos Connect), but it would certainly get you started. Adding another Connect or two would give you additional sources - this depends on how many different uses you need simultaneously.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #7 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

right, i thought the sonos could play different things to multiple zones simultaneously, for instance, - play one external hardrive, connected locally to it, in one zone, - another hardrive connected locally to it, to another, - a cell phone with its own library to a zone, - and a cell phone streaming internet radio to another zone. But I guess what you are saying is, i would need 4 sonos to do this? Also what ever app i used with the vera controller to control my lights etc.. would it also work well with the russound and the sonos. and if everything worked well together by the app control, would the russound keypads work well with the sonos? I really appreciate the help!
post #8 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Yes, each Sonos Connect has one audio output. For the price of one you can get 4 other devices (or 10 raspberry pis!), so you really better be in love with it. As far as working together, if there are specific plugins for vera that provide those features then yes they will work together. But don't be surprised if you need to do some custom integration (coding) yourself.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have any suggestions other than the sonos that can do all the same things. Also I am not very familiar with the rasberry PIs but it seems i would need to add something else with it to do what the sonos does?
post #10 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 04:21 PM

If you have smartphones and tablets, you are going to get the most flexibility by using them to stream audio. Use DLNA or Airplay (and soon more chromecast devices). You just need an endpoint to receive the audio, be it an appleTV, airport express, WDTV Live, Raspberry Pi running RaspBMC, google tv. Tablets are very cheap (example: nookHD). You can hook up a hard drive to a WDTV Live or RaspBMC and it will be shared on the network. At that point you can take audio from any app and send it to the endpoint, do the proper zone switching with your amp/matrix, and be listening to music. I know you said you don't want to use up wireless bandwidth for streaming, but really it is not that much and you have the option of running multiple routers on different channels (that is basically what sonos does anyway), combining 2.4 & 5.8 frequencies, etc....

So it is really hard to justify buying a sonos when you can get a NookHD and an endpoint for under $200.

Of course if you like high end products that are designed to be simple and require no fiddling then you may prefer sonos.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

I think i'm finally starting to catch on to what i need to do, just wish i could have more hands on, to see what works good with what etc..
Thanks alot!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

I think i'm finally starting to catch on to what i need to do, just wish i could have more hands on, to see what works good with what etc..
Thanks alot!
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page