Home Automation/Video Distribution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good morning this is my first post as I stumbled upon the forum about a month ago while doing some research on projectors. I have finally finished my man cave and am now starting to tinker with the idea of home automation. I have a few questions and based on the expertise here am sure I will find multiple solutions.

I am interested in Control4 as there are multiple dealers in my area, I find their site cryptic as it doesn't really give any in-depth information as to how "control" is accomplished. My goal is to start small so initially I will want A/V control and would eventually like to integrate lighting, climate, and security (yet to be purchased or installed.) I am more than willing to pay the premium to the authorized dealer/installer but like most try to save where possible. Prior to investigating Control4 I had run speaker wire to each room as well as cat6 through the entire house placing at the minimum 2 drops in each room.

In regards to my immediate questions below is my current setup. Also for music I usually Airplay to one of the receivers or stream from one of the network drives and then use the Yamaha or Pioneer (rather temperamental) apps to control volume to either the outdoor or bedroom speakers.

Livingroom: (5 Cat6 drops)
TV
Pioneer VSX-1122 receiver which powers 5.1 surround with zone 2 connected to two outdoor speakers on the deck
DirecTV Genie box

Bedroom: (2 Cat6 drops)
TV
DirecTV Genie box
2 ceiling mounted speakers

Basement: (equipment in network closet, no Cat6 drops required)
Epson Projector
Below items are in the Network closet/area
(Yamaha Aventage RX-A730 powers 5.1 surround with zone 2 connected to two speakers in the master bedroom
Playstation 3
Xbox 360
DirecTV Cable box
24 Port switch
2 Network Drives mainly used for DLNA streaming of movies/music)

Now the questions...

1. Does my current setup of zones make sense?
2. If deciding to go with Control4 what additional wiring needs to be run in order to control each device?
3. How does Control4 control devices IP, I/R, RF, etc?
4.Do all components (minus the tv's and speakers) need to be moved to the basement for ease of automation?
5. Will a Control4 HC-800 Controller handle my current equipment?
6. What is the average cost for the HC-800 Controller (obviously I'm looking at more equipment and installation costs, just trying to get an idea of where to start)
7. Can Control4 help distribute my Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 to each TV, if so how?
8. Can Control4 control the two above mentioned gaming consoles? Besides gaming I use them for the DLNA compatibility to stream movies from the network drives.

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotiqdmg View Post

Now the questions...

1. Does my current setup of zones make sense?
2. If deciding to go with Control4 what additional wiring needs to be run in order to control each device?
3. How does Control4 control devices IP, I/R, RF, etc?
4.Do all components (minus the tv's and speakers) need to be moved to the basement for ease of automation?
5. Will a Control4 HC-800 Controller handle my current equipment?
6. What is the average cost for the HC-800 Controller (obviously I'm looking at more equipment and installation costs, just trying to get an idea of where to start)
7. Can Control4 help distribute my Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 to each TV, if so how?
8. Can Control4 control the two above mentioned gaming consoles? Besides gaming I use them for the DLNA compatibility to stream movies from the network drives.

Thank you,

Welcome to the Forum!!

To answer your questions briefly, in order:
1. Yes, but assuming that all speaker wire is homerun to the basement except for the outdoor speakers connected to the family room receiver, that could be problematic unless extended to the demarcation point of your other wires.
2. Most of Control4 can be done wirelessly. If you want wired, most panels will run off POE through a single Cat-5. You will need some minimal wiring at the head-end location, of course. Primarily network communication wire.
3. Yes, yes and no. Also controls RS-232 but no RF control. Nothing does that from a third party control to my knowledge
4. This would make it easier for a central equipment location, but an argument could be made to send the HDMI signal through a matrix switch to the family room receiver for playback. You would need an HDMI matrix switch....4x4 recommended given the scale of your system.
5. Yes
6. Retails for $999, but dealer pricing may be lower
7. Not directly, but through an HDMI Matrix switch. The problem is the Bluetooth range for the controllers, which is generally limited to a 30' radius. If your equipment is directly below you while sitting upstairs in the family room, then it might work. If you are in a far-away bedroom, it won't. Plus you begin to introduce a slight latency with distance. Only work-around is hard-wiring the controllers via USB over Cat-6, but that can get expensive with all the do-dads required. It's best to have the game system in the room.
8. The XBox works via IR, the Playstation via Bluetooth. For the Playstation you would have to get an IR adapter as Control4 doesn't have the option to control a Bluetooth device as far as I know.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: Here is a handy C4 resource for other specific control questions.... http://www.c4forums.com/index.php