Issues with TV delay after turning on. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I turn my TVs on with my CONTROL 4 SYSTEM and sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes for the picture to come on. I get audio but no video. VERY annoying. Has anyone had a similar problem and what can i do to fix the problem?
It is happening on my Samsungs and my Elite.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Liked: 16
Wow 5-10 minutes? Is this an HDMI distribution system or component video? What model is the matrix? I have seen delays of 15-30 seconds with older matrix switches while they are doing their handshakes for HDMI but have not seen one take that long and still work. You have real patience to wait that long. How long ago was this system installed? Control4 is not cheap and should not do that unless something has went wrong with the equipment or programming.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONB28 View Post

I turn my TVs on with my CONTROL 4 SYSTEM and sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes for the picture to come on. I get audio but no video. VERY annoying. Has anyone had a similar problem and what can i do to fix the problem?
It is happening on my Samsungs and my Elite.
Thanks in advance.

Assuming HDMI, that sounds like bit errors are getting into the HDMI signal. Have you made any changes to the HDMI cables recently? How long are the cables? Are they HDMI or cat 5e/6? Does the same thing happen if you go directly from a source to the TV?
post #4 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

The installer used cat 5 cables. I get so frustrated i just want to take the whole freakin' system out at times. I have had the guy come over at least ten times trying to fix the problem.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONB28 View Post

The installer used cat 5 cables. I get so frustrated i just want to take the whole freakin' system out at times. I have had the guy come over at least ten times trying to fix the problem.
It is something you need to really nail down with the installer. Unfortunately, he may feel really bad, but it may be because he is completely clueless about why it isn't working properly. He may have used cheap baluns instead of using HD-Base-T distribution for your system. He may have gotten a cheap HDMI matrix, instead of using one which pre-registers all the HDMI outputs and maintains that registration.

People often call a company like Crestron, Extron, or AMX overpriced, but they are some of the only ones which properly handle HDMI distribution in a home so that it is nearly flawless.

Let us know some exact parts you are using, and let us know what sources you have. The TVs are the end point, but we need the start point (sources) and middle point(s) like switchers/receivers which may be messing things up for you.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM

..or the cat 5 cables may be the source of the problems. Do you know if you are using two cat 5s for each individual run? Also knowing the how the model of the HDMI distribution system would really help.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

OK, he just texted me that the video switch is not Control 4 it is made by "just add power" and that its a hdmi switch over cat6

As you can tell, I am clueless about this. I am an Attorney and it is very frustrating for me not to be able to fix these problems.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Oh my...

Just Add Power switches are devices that attempt to send HD signals over your standard Internet Protocol (IP) wiring. What this means is that depending upon how much bandwidth (think of it as the amount of data the system can carry) and how much of that bandwidth you are using for other things (such as streaming movies or multiple enabled sources) you could get different results.

Here are some example Just Add Power boxes

http://www.justaddpower.com/products-topmenu-45.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=16

I (personally) would not use these boxes because they are not delivering true HDMI uncompressed video and audio but instead a compressed signal (depending upon whether you have a 1G, 2G or 2G+ box). A dedicated HDMI to cat 6 (or 5e) converter, such as HDBaseT would use the cat 6/5e line *only* for a point-to-point video/audio/data run and not as part of a LAN network. This allows an uncompressed video and audio signal to be sent over the line.

Do you know which version of Just Add Power device you have and can we assume that you have cat 6 wire?
post #9 of 10 Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 256
While I agree completely with the above post, I think it really needs to be addressed at the hardware level and that the installer needs to talk to you about your home network. Perhaps you even need to call the manufacturer, or speak to a different local installer about the issue you have run into. I have seen these types of products and they do have their place. But, your situation is not one of the ones I would consider typical. You need commercially rated managed switches with full Gigabit Ethernet support to properly handle the level of network traffic which is likely being generated by this system.

Unfortunately, it seems like 'existing' cabling was used in this setup over your existing network, and it may be seriously compromising the quality of your experience. It falls into a lowest-level product to get the job done scenario, which is biting you really hard right now.

I mean, if I were to install something like this in anyone's home, I would have a fat disclaimer about the potential need to upgrade the network hardware infrastructure to something which can handle the significant increase in home network traffic.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Do this. Shut down the TV, and do a hard reset ( unplug TV from power outlet for 10 seconds ). Then start the system again. See how fast picture will appear.

Crestron & AMX Programmer. GUI Designer.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page