lamp w/remote control and physical switch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm looking for a lamp (table or floor) that can be turned on/off through a physical switch on the lamp OR through computer control via some kind of Insteon type thing.

I would just plug an ordinary lamp into a LampLinc dimmer, but then when someone switches it off with the physical switch, the computer will not be able to turn it back on.

I'm open to all ideas. I've tried googling for "insteon lamp" but no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The lamp would have to be designed that way. I am not aware of any. Maybe you could do it using one of the philips lamps and hue bridge...

Alternatively:
1. Remove the physical switch from the lamp.
2. Get a tabletop enclosure and put an automated switch in it.
3. Rewire the lamp through the switch.
4. Use the switch to turn the lamp on/off.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 AM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Don't use the lamp switch to turn it off, that breaks the circuit. Use the switch on the module, then turning your lamp off / on at the lamp switch will retrigger the power. I have zWave, but I think insteon works the same way.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

------------------------------------
I'm on 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post

Don't use the lamp switch to turn it off, that breaks the circuit. Use the switch on the module, then turning your lamp off / on at the lamp switch will retrigger the power.

Yes, well, that's the problem. If there's a switch on the lamp, people are going to turn it.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi as an automation controller today. I'm thinking about rewiring the lamp so the socket is always hot and the switch is connected to GPIO pins on the Pi which will then trigger Insteon events. But this seems like such a common use model that someone would have a better solution already.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Get rid of the lamp? Seriously, just install some recessed lighting or something and you won't ever have this issue again! biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Get rid of the lamp? Seriously, just install some recessed lighting or something and you won't ever have this issue again! biggrin.gif

It's a rental house, so not that easy. "Buy a house" isn't a practical lighting solution smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Yes, well, that's the problem. If there's a switch on the lamp, people are going to turn it.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi as an automation controller today. I'm thinking about rewiring the lamp so the socket is always hot and the switch is connected to GPIO pins on the Pi which will then trigger Insteon events. But this seems like such a common use model that someone would have a better solution already.

Apologies, i wasn't clear or accurate.

If you turn the switch off at the lamp, you cannot remotely physically turn that switch on. Do you really need to do that?

What I do is to use automation to ensure lights are off. There's rarely a need to turn a light on if that device is a desk lamp with a physical switch. We don't have floor lamps.

If someone leaves a desk lamp on, i use automation to turn off the zWave module if there's no motion in the room for 60 minutes, or if the house enters armed-away mode, or if its midnight. That kills power at the module. IF someone wants to turn that lamp on, the lamp switch will be in the "on" position with no power supplied. They have to turn it off, then turn it back on, at which point the zWave module recognizes a device is attempting to draw power and turns itself on. (no fiddling with the zWave module)

I know thats not exactly what you asked for, but short of rewiring the lamp, its as good as you can get. Which honestly, might be "good enough" unless you use floor lamps.

------------------------------------
I'm on 
a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page