Help please, LED dimmers, Mcontrol and components. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

All,

Thanks in advance for any help. I have just bought a house and am currently re-modelling.  I am looking to get a bit of home automation and remote access.  I am also installing a hard wired network to all bedrooms and living areas.  I have been doing some reading and I was thinking of using Mcontrol, as i will have a dedicated PC on all the time, and it seems like it is well priced and has a wide range of compatibility. 

My Needs are as follows:

Lighting control in certain areas, bedrooms, living room, outside

Remote access to cameras

possibly some door/window sensors

A few outlets here and there

thermostat

door lock.

Home theater one touch setup.

Are there any brands devices that are better than the other in these categories? I was looking at z-wave. Since the program is compatible with different hardware, i believe i could have different brands/technology for different items? What extra hardware/software would i need to do this? My one large concern is i am looking at having LED lighting throughout most of the home, and am having trouble finding a dimmer switch that i can also connect to the system. Does anyone know of any, or are there still issues with pulsing? 

Next question is I would like to use a tablet in every room to control everything, as well as the TV and related components. I was looking into some of the Samsung tablets with IR capability to do this. I have HTPCs at every TV, would i be able to use this tablet to also control my computer, I am really trying to cut down on remote controls. I currently use a wireless keyboard/touch mouse combo along with separate remote controls and this gets fairly bulky.

I think this comes across as rambling as i am probably asking too many questions. I am new to all of this, so any help is appreciated!! 

Ben

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page