1REMOTE universal remote for everything - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are proud to announce 1REMOTE, the world's most universal remote control.

1REMOTE is a new kind of universal remote control that works a lot like a mouse. Think of it as a mouse that is also a laser pointer. You hold it in your hand and point at things around you.

Control your:
Home theater system
Television
Cable or satellite
Sound system
Computers
Security systems
Lights
With your thumb you can click, double click and right click on the two buttons. You can also swipe to scroll. The green laser dot shows you where you are pointing, just like a laser pointer.

Read more on our Indiegogo funding campaign here. Please feel free to contribute, promote or ask questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Call me a curmudgeon but I can't see how this could be practical for home theater control. It has all the problems of tablet remotes with none of the advantages.

Even if it could be made to work, with only two buttons and no labels, discoverability is zero and therefore WAF is zero.

I can see it being useful for corporate presentations and such.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I'm at a loss on this one. People love their handheld remotes when they work well. Many remotes don't work well, and I don't see this one as an improvement.

The concept is that a good remote is not one you have to point at 50 things to make 50 things happen. It's one you pick up, press one button, then the 50 things that should happen, happen.

Some people view a 'universal remote' as one remote that controls 50 devices one-by-one. But, that's not at all true. A really good remote takes away the need to use multiple remotes for day-to-day operation. Some people will program their universal remote to do everything that their normal remote does, and for some, that works. But, a truly family friendly remote won't have my 5 year old pointing something around the room, then require him to navigate the menu, then go to the next device to do the same thing...

No, he will do what he does now. Press the top left button to watch cable TV. Press the next button down for Wii, and the next button down for PS3. He's known for years how to use the remote control which controls an A/V receiver, floor speakers, and multiple devices. My in-laws have figured it out, my wife has no problem. Plus, we have half a dozen identical models of remotes in the home that work exactly the same way.

I'm at a loss that beyond the 'nifty' factor, how this will improve upon a button that just says "Blu-ray Disc" and sets up the entire system for watching the BD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
My in-laws can't figure out how to use my Harmony One with a button that says "Watch Cable." biggrin.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

My in-laws can't figure out how to use my Harmony One with a button that says "Watch Cable." biggrin.gif
To be clear, they have figured it out NOW... I still had to tell them to press the button that says 'cable' a few times.

I still think the large button that says 'OFF' confuses them.

This mouse thing would drive them ape-s#it!

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Having upgraded my home automation system to use WiFi remotes (Elan g! HR2s) I very much like NOT having to point the remotes at anything.

I cannot imagine why this company thinks having to point at things to control them is an step forward.

And I cannot understand how they are going to implement control of the many functions that a AV device typically has. Source selection and volume control is easy but the rest? Color me dense.

Their fund raising efforts don't appear to be going very well. I recently participated in an effort on Kickstarter that raised over $1,300,000 in 30 days for a game project. So $441 towards $30,000 with 20 days to go doesn't look promising. Time will tell.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #7 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Having upgraded my home automation system to use WiFi remotes (Elan g! HR2s) I very much like NOT having to point the remotes at anything.

I cannot imagine why this company thinks having to point at things to control them is an step forward.

Exactly. To turn on any modern home theater requires controlling at least 3 different devices and the whole point of a good remote is so every user doesn't have to understand which devices need to be in what state.

At least when it comes to home theater, I just don't see what problem this remote would solve.
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page