Smart sprinkler controller - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-26-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I would like to install a new sprinkler controller, weather aware. Anyone has any experience with that?

I saw a nice one at www.rainmachine.com, but I could not find any API documented. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Liked: 11
I use a cyber-rain. (www.cyber-rain.com)

It has always worked well for me.

Dave
post #3 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM

Have you heard about "skydrop" smart sprinkler controller.

Take a look!  www.skydrop.com

post #4 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstuff View Post

I would like to install a new sprinkler controller, weather aware. Anyone has any experience with that?
I saw a nice one at www.rainmachine.com, but I could not find any API documented. Any ideas?

I'm very interested in the Rainmachine unit as well - although I'll have to wait for them to ship the expansion unit as well (since I have 14 zones), and comparing to the skydrop, it looks like a better deal (12 zones at $249 vs. 8 at $299). I'm hoping y'all will get these units and post some reviews to blaze the trail for me once either unit becomes available "for real".

On the API question - what integration would you actually want to perform with the system that their own interface / app wouldn't already handle? I'm just curious. I'm holding off on my thermostat upgrade(s) awaiting one or more of the players to release a public API so I can integrate the few bits I need into my theater control system. But I can't think of a reason I'd need to integrate the sprinkler controller into the rest of the system assuming it was already managing the schedule on its own.

I suppose there might be a use case for a quick override (don't run the back yard zones during a party), buy IMO, I don't think I'll base my purchase decision (for this device) on availability of a public API.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There's been very good reviews of irrigationcaddy (irrigationcaddy.com) and Etherrain (quicksmart.com). Both seem to have a good interface but the API on each I'm not sure of.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I use etherrain. It has software you can install on your pc to control it and/or you can use the free cloud service to control it. Additionally I belive vera has a plug-in. I believe the api is pretty simplistic, but I haven't looked into in detail. The control software and cloud service integrate simple weather based rules. For instance I have a simple rule that if the chance of precipitation is higher than x% on that day or the next then don't run sprinklers that day. You can also use the interface to cancel or run cycles out of schedule of course.

There is also opensprinkler which runs on the arduino platform (raspberry pi) and is open source.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

There's been very good reviews of irrigationcaddy (irrigationcaddy.com) and Etherrain (quicksmart.com). Both seem to have a good interface but the API on each I'm not sure of.

But neither of those appear to use the forecast and evapotranspiration (ET) adjustments - which is where the automatic / water savings comes from.

So API, yes, but these "new" controllers look like better controllers (but may lack an integration API). Which is why I asked the question about the integration uses.

If you're currently controlling your unit from the API - what do you do with it? And if the unit retrieves the forecast / actual rain stats on its own - would you still need to?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #8 of 14 Old 05-23-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

But neither of those appear to use the forecast and evapotranspiration (ET) adjustments - which is where the automatic / water savings comes from.

So API, yes, but these "new" controllers look like better controllers (but may lack an integration API). Which is why I asked the question about the integration uses.

If you're currently controlling your unit from the API - what do you do with it? And if the unit retrieves the forecast / actual rain stats on its own - would you still need to?

Etherrain does allow you to use parts of forecast info for go/no go - albeit through software controlling the unit.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 AM

I installed a Rainmachine two weeks ago and am very pleased so far the unit connects to NOAA to get weather forecast and adjust watering times accordingly. I cut the initial watering times that my Gardner set in half and all lawns and flowerbeds look happy. Install to valves and router was simple and programing my 12 zones was a piece of cake also. I have the free app running on both iPad and Android Note3 smartphone.

Recommend highly!
post #10 of 14 Old 06-01-2014, 05:17 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevhub View Post

I installed a Rainmachine two weeks ago and am very pleased so far the unit connects to NOAA to get weather forecast and adjust watering times accordingly. I cut the initial watering times that my Gardner set in half and all lawns and flowerbeds look happy. Install to valves and router was simple and programing my 12 zones was a piece of cake also. I have the free app running on both iPad and Android Note3 smartphone.

Recommend highly!

Couldn't have said it any better, similar experinces and results with mine installed several weeks ago.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I installed a RainMachine about a week and a half ago. It couldn't have been simpler to install and setup. I had a couple of sprinkler heads to replace afterwards, and it was so nice being able to walk around my yard and turn zones on and off via my phone. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a smart sprinkler controller.

That being said, I have also the app installed on the iPad Mini that I use for Roomie Remote. I'm still trying to figure out if I can integrate RainMachine into Roomie. However, if I can't integrate the RainMachine it won't be a big deal.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 02:38 PM

Liked: 0
Rain Machine works excellent. I have had it for about 10 months. The ability to custom name zones, specify parameters to operate in (temperatures), months to water, vegetation types, etc are nice features. Setup on my wireless network was straightforward and simple. The IOS app was horrible until the update this last May. Now, the app seems to function as expected. I would definitely recommend this product to others. I cannot speak to customer support as I have needed none.

Hope this helps!

Chris
post #13 of 14 Old 06-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone seen Ugmo. Uses moisture sensors embedded in your different zones. However, I cannot seem to find a place to buy. Also, rain machine seems perpetually out of stock. A
post #14 of 14 Old 07-12-2014, 11:37 PM

API for Crestron ?

All the stand alone irrigation are perfect on them alone but when you have a centralised home automation (4 me Crestron) you like to monitor and have feedback, eventually bypass the controller from your HA touchscreen or even program the controller.

Looking for:

1) feedback : ability to see on a plan of the yard where the sprinklers are activated (not always possibility to see front, back, streetside sprinklers) ...

2) Bypass : say you just put some new plants and want to bypass the sprinkler number 3 for a couple of weeks to be more activated... or want to manually activate the sprinklers to test them...or the grass is less green in area 5 and want some more water for say a couple of days = temporary fine tuining without having to reprogram the main controller

3) have an idea of water consumption per sprinkler, pressure ? can detect problems in advance, moisture

4) activate scenarios : night irrigation, have a studio means when somebody on visit no sprinklers over day in that area..., week end scenario around the pool...

Thats what I am looking for ?
Has someone an idea of a integrateable sprinkler controller (meaning with full stand alone intelligence because they are good in what they are designed for) with API for Crestron ?
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page