User expandability of ADT Pulse???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had played with X-10 years ago and had become interested again HA again recently. My wife wanted to install a security system so after some research, I decided to go with ADT based on what appears to be at least SOME level of user customization outside of ADT installers doing everything.

ADT is coming this upcoming Thursday to install the security system but I held off on a bunch of the extras through them because I'm fairly technical (work in IT) and have some HA experience and thought if I wanted more "convenience" Z-Wave components I could add them myself. For example, I don't need a locksmith to change out a couple deadbolts. I've installed them before. I was able to source Kwikset Z-Wave deadbolts for $150 less PER unit than what ADT wanted. I'm hoping they will integrate with the ADT system. Is the ADT system fairly open to those who are tech savvy? Can I add my own light controllers and other items? How flexible is their alerts system (I found a youtube video that gives some scant detail).

If anyone here has the Pulse system I'd sure appreciate some feedback.

Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 360
The Pulse web GUI allows homeowners to add devices from the list of "supported" devices. So as long as you buy the same devices as they offer (and/or look through the drop-down lists in the UI after installation), you can add them yourself. Note that ADT won't cover those devices under their service contract (meaning, they break, don't call them. biggrin.gif)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #3 of 22 Old 01-04-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

The ADT website reads:

"We are working to provide an ever-expanding list of innovative device offerings for our ADT Pulse customers. Each time a new device is approved for use with the system, we will add it to this list.
Use of non-approved devices

Should you attempt to use a non-ADT-approved device with the ADT Pulse system, you may find that it does not easily integrate into the system, or does not respond in a way that meets your expectations. If you have problems with a non-ADT-approved device, please contact your retailer or the manufacturer for assistance. Only ADT-approved devices are supported by the ADT Product Support Teams.

It is for this reason that we strongly encourage ADT Pulse customers to use only ADT-approved devices."

I assume that's the standard corporate statement crafted to make you think if you don't pay $259 to have them install a Kwikset deadbolt, it won't work. I was hoping a system owner would chime in. Do you have the Pulse system, jautor?

post #4 of 22 Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles J P View Post

I assume that's the standard corporate statement crafted to make you think if you don't pay $259 to have them install a Kwikset deadbolt, it won't work.

Correct. The gear they install is right out of the same retail boxes, and you can add it through the same web UI. I've helped friends with this, works fine. Just has to be on the supported device list.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 22 Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll have to play around. I already bought an "unsupported" door sensor for my garage overhead door. Hopefully it pairs. In addition I was hoping the system had enough flexibility in the alerts panel to send an alert not just if the garage door is open, but if it remains open for X minutes.

post #6 of 22 Old 01-05-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'll have to play around. I already bought an "unsupported" door sensor for my garage overhead door.

Last time I looked at the GUI, I didn't see a way to pair a device that wasn't in their list of supported devices. I've seen some posts where folks claim to have added unlisted devices from the same manufacturer (say, another GE Zwave device), but haven't seen this in person.
Quote:
In addition I was hoping the system had enough flexibility in the alerts panel to send an alert not just if the garage door is open, but if it remains open for X minutes.

The alerts and "automations" (event triggers) functionality is pretty flexible. It has a delay option from a few seconds up to 30 minutes (maybe longer?) after a trigger.

Theater build photos:

post #7 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just wanted to chime in here Charles, alot of my customers use ADT pulse and as jautor pointed out and as you found in the manual, as long as the devices are on their list, you shouldn't have any problems if you DIY. I must have at least a dozen customers who have used the GE Jasco 45602, 45603, and all the switches (45609/45612 and 3-way aux 45610) on their Pulse network with no problems. The entire GE Jasco line is on their list, as well as Leviton Vizia RF line is supported as well. I am currently researching the Evolve line with another customer who wants to use those for his Pulse system as well, so will post back once I know more.

Hope that helps!
post #8 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

The system is being installed today. I'll post back some results. One thing I notice is that there are NO door/window sensors listed. Does that mean you cannot add your own? I guess I'll find out. I purchased an Aeon Labs door sensor to use on my garage overhead door.

post #9 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The system is being installed today. I'll post back some results. One thing I notice is that there are NO door/window sensors listed. Does that mean you cannot add your own? I guess I'll find out. I purchased an Aeon Labs door sensor to use on my garage overhead door.

Simple wired or wireless door and window sensors should be part of any security package they're installing - they should cover all of them in the house, so no need to add them later...

(garage door sensors are a separate question, so yeah, you probably needed that)

Theater build photos:

post #10 of 22 Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, but they charge you (a marked up rate) for each sensor and while they do cover all man-doors, they don't put a sensor on the overhead door (that is a convenience/automation item for me, not a security item) nor do they put sensors on windows that are low risk entrance points. They rely on motion sensors to cover if for some reason someone choose to come in an upstairs bedroom window which is 40 feet off the ground due to the fact that I have a walk-out basement.

post #11 of 22 Old 04-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Hey Charles-
How did your testing with the Aeon Labs door sensor turn out? I'd like to do the same. I already have Pulse, but this looks interesting: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153372

post #12 of 22 Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

You cannot add door sensors or glass break sensors yourself because they are part of the security system (as opposed to part of the automation system). You can add your own light switches, outlets, appliance modules, thermostats, and locks as long as you add the same models that ADT supports.

post #13 of 22 Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post

Hey Charles-
How did your testing with the Aeon Labs door sensor turn out? I'd like to do the same. I already have Pulse, but this looks interesting: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153372

I would also like to hear if you were able to integrate Aeon labs sensor in your Pulse, Charles.

@otay - This homeseer setup works great but a couple comments. Substituting the Evolve LFM-20 for a Linear FS20Z-1 will save you about $20 a switch plus if you get an Aeon Labs Minimote instead of the Zee (which are about $200 each) that will save you another $150. Just associate the Aeon Labs door/window sensor to the FS20Z with the minimote instead of getting Homeseer (again another $249 for HS3). Your garage door opener should have the IR switch for safety if your foot is in the door blocking the beam so I do not really see alot of need for a dedicated controller unless you want one anyways or already have or plan to have a full blown HA system, thats fine. But for a standalone garage door opener, you can do this for under $160 (at least thats what we sell them for!). Of course you can get a VeraLite for $160 +/- and it will do the associations for you as well, and you can do X-10 and Insteon with Vera as well.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been using ADT Pulse for 3 years now and have added all the z-wave devices myself. The only challenge is that sometimes new distant devices are not close enough to be detected by the system and have to be moved closer temporarily to be detected. Some devices I added are not on the supported list including a Honeywell TH8320ZW thermostat and a Evolve LRM-AS 120 VAC 500-Watt Wall Mount Dimmer switch. My assumption is that other z wave devices can be added as long as they are similar to those already on the supported device list.
haworld likes this.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Matthews View Post

I have been using ADT Pulse for 3 years now and have added all the z-wave devices myself. The only challenge is that sometimes new distant devices are not close enough to be detected by the system and have to be moved closer temporarily to be detected. Some devices I added are not on the supported list including a Honeywell TH8320ZW thermostat and a Evolve LRM-AS 120 VAC 500-Watt Wall Mount Dimmer switch. My assumption is that other z wave devices can be added as long as they are similar to those already on the supported device list.

Thanks for that! I have been waiting for someone to post their results re using other devices with the Pulse. More info for my customers. Thanks again!
Bob-Matthews likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 09:39 AM

Liked: 0
Question ADT w/ Motion Activated camera (togather)

Hi! I am a new member who has the ADT Pulse system. I would like to add a Motion Activated camera to it, hopefully this would one device. After reading this list it seems like I would have to add it as an automation feature instead of a security feature, is this correct? My assumption is that the police would not come out unless it were a security feature? Could this motion activated camera be battery powered, as well as 110v? Would it need to be within range of my router? What camera has these features?
post #17 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 11:36 AM

ADT Pulse Z Wave Devices

My experience is that you can only add Z-Wave devices that are similar to those on the approved list, which are currently Lighting/receptacles, thermostats and door locks. ADT sells their own cameras which integrate with the Pulse system so those would obviously work. Personally I don't like the idea of ADT having access to my cameras (although they assure me they only can access with my permission) so I use a separate Logitech Alert camera system to monitor my home. Logitech Alert has all the features you want and connects to the internet through your powerlines. You just need to locate the cameras near a power outlet. I am sure that ADT cameras also have the features you want for an additional monthly fee will go up to support the cameras.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Thanks Bob

post #19 of 22 Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Matthews View Post
I recently got the ADT Pulse but I do not see an option to add any z-wave device via the web GUI. Only option I see is adding touchscreen, cameras, or wi-if extender. Would you mind sharing how you installed the devices? Thank you in advance.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM

adding z wave devices

To add a z wave device from the web interface you select the "System" tab and press the "Manage Devices" button. Then press the button that says "Lights, thermostats and more..press here to add z wave devices". Select your device from the pull-down menu which lists lighting, thermostats, door locks and controllers.

Next go to your device and put it in discovery mode. For a switch this is usually just pressing the switch, but some have instructions on how to do this. Then go back to the web interface and select "continue" and it will search for and add the device.

The only issue that you may have is your device may be too far from the router and you will have to bring it closer to get it discovered and then move it to its final position.

Regards,

Bob
post #21 of 22 Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 PM

Bob, thank you for your help. However, I do not have that option. I only have an option to add touch screens, cameras, and wi-fi extenders. I don't see "lights, thermostats, and more" option. I think I should call ADT and ask.
post #22 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkim View Post
Bob, thank you for your help. However, I do not have that option. I only have an option to add touch screens, cameras, and wi-fi extenders. I don't see "lights, thermostats, and more" option. I think I should call ADT and ask.
I have the same issue - no option in Manage Devices to add Lights, etc...I called ADT and they gave me the run around. They wanted an additional fee to come out to add this option when I think it should be done remotely...

Let me know if you find a resolution!
Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page