What are major software (or applicance) packages that allow programatic customization for your HA? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

What would be some the most popular (well supported) home automation software packages that allows one to pro-grammatically customize / extend the solution?   

So for example if you needed to develop a custom driver to receive a feed of data into the system, write code to determine what to do with this data, and then trigger devices (e.g. remote switch). 

The system itself then can get used for all the normal HA as well. Would:

* need to support Z-wave, and support for other protocols like X10 beyond this would be good

* nice if it happen to have an existing mechanism to allow you to access it remotely, even if it meant port-forwarding your router to it web interface

* anything else a bonus (e.g. iphone app)

* I'm in Australia, but hopefully that won't impact(?) on solution choices

* could be open-source, however happy to pay a bit to get a more solid solution if this is what is required

* could accept a hardware appliance potentially, but it would need to have the coding support (so I'm guessing finding software and running on a laptop/linux box or otherwise might turn out to be answer?)

* main item however would being able to write some script/code to extend it - in particular what I wanted to do is:

* one possibility that was brought to my attention is http://www.ip-symcon.de/  however the doco is in german apparently

Quote:
So I basically want to:
a) in first instance extend the platform to monitor a feed of solar data & trigger remote switches based on logic (see below)
b) perform it via extending an existing home automation piece of software that:
  - supports for X-wave, X10 etc out of the box
  - support monitoring over internet (browser based - i expose my webserver via port forwarding - does not have )
  - ideally would be open-source (but otherwise highly extensible closed source)
  - extensibility mechanism would need to have flexibility of some language support (if/then, etc)

Specific initial requirement details:
[1] Receive a feed of input data from power consumption/solar generation:
- it is possible to get a feed of this data into a PC via USB cable
[2] Process this data: My code (where I extend the platform) would review every few minutes and make decisions re switches devices on/off
[3] Trigger remote Power Switches (Z-wave) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
One issue is that a lot of the better known systems are dealer only so you end up paying a good chunk of change to have it installed and configured and then are often totally dependent on the dealer for any updates you may wish to make.

If you are looking for a top notch DIY product check out:

http://www.charmedquark.com/

It can do anything if you are prepared to climb the learning curve.

High recommended for the DIY folks.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #3 of 4 Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What about a Vera from MiCasa Verde? They are very customizable via Lua (Luup) code, supports z-wave out of the box as well as Insteon and X-10 and are available in the AU versions or anywhere in the world for that matter. All the more complex stuff you mentioned re coding and such is a bit over my head as a retailer and a use but just a thought. There isn't much a Vera cannot do! I would also suggest Homeseer if you were in the US but not sure if it works in AU, although if you bought the right devices with correct z-wave frequencies I don't know why it would work.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

will check out Vera further - I've found several software packages the Raspberry Pi could host but I'm still not quite sure which is the most popular/well supported.  Some seem to be:  

- Open Remote

- OpenHab

- Domotiga

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page