AVS Forum banner

POE Security Cameras and DVR Software Suggestions / Help!

19K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  TornadoTJ 
#1 ·

OK, so here is the question.

I have a Cisco network at home and I just got a 3560 48 port POE Switch. I want to get a couple of outdoor IP POE security cameras and a couple of internal ones and then setup a server running a software package that can monitor all the cameras and record with motion detection.

My problem is, I don't know much about the different POE security cameras and even less about software packages that can monitor the cameras and record the video, especially having it setup to record motion, day and night, with so many days save et cetera.

Anyone got some suggestions and information about this? Basically I want to setup a home security camera network, but I also want them so I can monitor them from work or from my phone and have the cameras record the video with motion.

Just like the Dropcam.

I know there are manufacturers like Foscam and TRENDnet. Those are the only two I know of so far. But i don't know anything about software packages. For example, are there DVR packages that will work with different brands, models of IP POE cameras? Do they record all stuff seen by the cameras or just motion events or can you do both?

Are there other manufacturers that make POE IP cameras? From expensive to affordable.

I am looking at about 4 outdoor cameras and 4 indoor ones. The outdoor cameras have to be able to withstand ice, snow, rain and winds; oh and hot heat. I live in New Mexico, so we get all of it.I have aserver and a NAS device with a lot of Terabytes of space, so storage isn't an issue. But I need a software package that will support different hardware, looped recordings and record on motion events. For example, having a camera in my office that would record between 5PM and 8AM any motion that occurred, Or an outside camera that would record motion anytime. Or an indoor camera that would record all video and store it for a weeks time, et cetera.

So any help, suggestions and the like would be appreciated. For hardware and software. All the cameras have to have IR lamps so they can see in the dark and low light, especially the outdoor ones. So they would get good clear images or the best you could. I don't want grainy images that wouldn't help investigators in the event of a reason to use the footage.

Plus I will want to be able to monitor them anywhere. Like right now I have one small foscam that I have setup to monitor my dog when I am gone. But it's just hooked up to my network, it doesn't record or anything and it doesn't have the best video, but I punched a hole in my FW and forwarded the port so I can hit it in my browser from works IP.

Thank you!

Mitch

PS I hope this is the correct forum to post this in!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a similar network setup though I have a smaller 28 port Cisco POE switch. I am using http://www.meritlilin.com/en/ for my IP Cameras. I am in NJ, major snow/ice this winter (most in over a decade) and no issues at all.

For recording: Their CMX software is free. If you have a computer running 24x7, you can keep the CMX software running and point it at your NAS. If you don't have a computer running 24x7 you can buy their NVRs and record. You can set it up to record 24x7 or off motion only (and you can set what zones in the shot need to trip for motions to kick in and start recording). And as you asked, you can set up recordings based on a time schedule too (time of day, only certain days of the week, etc)

For monitoring: They have their own app (I am on iOS) plus they work with a bigger app called LIve Cams ($3.99 on iOS) and they integrate there too. I have Control4 and it integrates easily into C4 and the C4 app, so I have 3 apps to check on my cameras remotely. Also, since its all IP based, if you do some port forwarding, you can log into your cameras and view them on any computer in the world using your IP address for your home network.

They have a big selection of indoor and outdoor cameras. Seem to cover all the features you want.

#3 ·
I use Blue Iris software that runs on an always on server that I use for other uses, you can buy dedicated NVR's and also some NAS devices can run security camera software. As far as cameras go Axis and Mobotix make some nice higher end stuff, you can get lower priced 2mp HD cameras in the $200-$300 dollar range and probably half that for a 1 mp Camera depending on features, Pan and tilt or zoom lenses will add more to the cost. Some of the cheaper price cameras I know of are Dahua, Grand Stream, Ubiquiti and Vivotek, what is really nice now is that you can go to youtube and see just about any camera made at full resolution to see if the picture quality meets your needs, too low of a resolution camera and you might not be able to use the video for evidence if you ever need to. I am using 2mp HD cameras in my setup, I judged them suitable for my needs after watching HD videos on Youtube and then searching for reviews online at a few places that review them to see how they lasted in actual use.

#5 ·

Awesome. Thanks all, I am going to check these out http://www.meritlilin.com/en/ they sound like they might be just what I am looking for. But then so do the Axis and Mobotix as well and if the software will work with multiple brands I can mix and match for what I am looking for. Like a really nice one for the door when people come up, but better IR distance ones for the yards et cetera.

Thanks again!

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24396141

Plus one for BlueIris. It has worked great for us.
Does it work on any type of camera?

Also, what is the difference between IP cameras and CCTV? I would think both would be closed circuit, but there must be a difference and why is it so hard to find prices for some of these cameras? I went to http://www.meritlilin.com/en/ and then they sent me to a dealers page for North America so I went there and then they sent me back to the manufacturer, no pricing :) That must mean they are expensive.

My plan was to get one really nice outside dome one to put at the front door so I could see anyone coming up in the best resolution I could. but it would need to withstand cold and hot and the elements, even though it normally wouldn't get direct weather unless we had some really bad wind (which we can get). But then I was going to get some medium priced ones for perimeter coverage (full IP 66+ protection) and a couple for inside; same plan. One really nice one for living room (because if someone broke in all hallways go through the main living room) and then some others for other areas.

#8 ·
I'm also using Blue Iris at work.

We have eleven Acti 5mp POE cams- just with street lighting there's enough to keep them in color mode all through the night.

Acti just came out with a firmware update and the cams have been rock solid (no offline dropouts) since.

Here's last night at 3am with just street lighting...

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24397071

What model is that one?
It's the E33 5MP Bullet with D/N, IR, Basic WDR, Fixed lens ...
http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Bullet_Camera/E33

IIRC we paid $325 each for them...

FWIW- Speco makes a very nice POE DVR and cams now too...

#11 ·
I believe the Lilin products are sold mostly through custom installer channels, which is why they may be tougher to find online. With that being said, I had a technical support question (just trying to set up port fwd so I could see them on my web browser) and when I called and got tech support, they spent 45 minutes on the phone with me, teaching me the CMX software, and once port forwarding was set up, they actually looked at my cameras and suggested changing up the field of view, angles, where to set up motion sensors to start recording, etc. It was the best customer service call I've ever made, for whatever that is worth.

Through my installer, I paid about $400-$600 per camera I believe. That did include installation, running of the Ethernet wires to the various locations and coming back out to adjust the cameras per Lilin's recommendations. I have the 7722 and the 6122

some models of the Lilin cameras also support ONVIF standard, 2 way audio (both audio detection as well as 2 way voice), ability to record to SD card as well as PTZ - not sure these features interest you but it does add a bit to the cost of some of these cameras compared to other ones mentioned. The two models I have also record 30 fps at 1920x1080 (true 1080p recording).

I have no personal affiliation with Lilin, just very impressed with their customer service and the features on these cameras.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24397031

Does it work on any type of camera?

Also, what is the difference between IP cameras and CCTV? I would think both would be closed circuit, but there must be a difference and why is it so hard to find prices for some of these cameras? I went to http://www.meritlilin.com/en/ and then they sent me to a dealers page for North America so I went there and then they sent me back to the manufacturer, no pricing
That must mean they are expensive.

Blue Iris works with many different brands, you can find a list of brands known to work on their website http://www.blueirissoftware.com/6.html .

As for IP cameras the I.P. Stands for internet protocol, these are cameras that sit on a network, cctv cameras can also be analog cameras, the the newer digital I.P. cameras can have much higher resolution. HD television is usually either 1 mega pixel for 720P or 2 mega pixel for 1080P 1080P is 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels tall, some of these I.P. cameras go way beyond 1080P resoulutions. The Acti camera mentioned by another poster was 5 Mega pixel and assuming the lens and sensor are up to it, they can give you much greater detail if needed. Some I.P. Cameras are also quite low resolution and might be worthless for actually identifying a person is your house was broken into, The lower the resolution a camera is the smaller the field of view you can use with exceptable detail, with a higher mega pixel camera you can cover a wider area and still have enough detail to say I.D. A face or read a license plate on a car.

#14 ·
That's a pretty heavy duty Switch for a house!!! You must do some network heavy stuff at your house! I have a 26 port (24 really) Cisco SG-200 myself.

I use a Wirepath IP Camera (and install them at my customers houses) at my own house for demo purposes. It's only 2mp compared to the camera someone posted about above thats 5mp, but it streams in 1080 and looks phenomenal.
http://www.snapav.com/c-97-surveillance.aspx

Check out the demo at http://cavoffice.wirepathdns.com:8049 User: guest Password: cavinstall

They come with a built in free DDNS service for remote access if you don't have a static IP. Also, the wiring harness includes connections for the alarm trigger, audio in, and audio out. There are also video and power connections right on the unit so you can adjust the camera while you're installing it using a handheld tool. Makes my life easier. One big feature most cameras don't have is there's a slot for a SD Card. This can be used for a backup if your network goes down and your camera can't reach the NVR. Their NVR can record full 1080 from ALL streams. It comes with the software and everything built-in. The mobile apps are free. And you can stream to 4 devices simultaneously. There are also drivers for Home Automation systems available.

The other company i know that makes great stuff. I've had less exposure to these, but they make great stuff and a lot more options than Wirepath.

IC REALTIME
http://icrealtime.com/newweb/

They have many of the features of the Wirepath cams.

I have to admit, i'm impressed that the above ACTI 5mp cam can still get you color like that at night. The cams placement near a street light must keep the IR turned off.

#15 ·
I hear good things about Wirepath too - my installer was more comfortable with Lilin so we went in that direction - but I've read lots of good things on Wirepath too.

That being said, do not get caught up in megapixels. Just like the "latest and greatest" marketing hype - the increasing megapixels does not mean better quality. The size and quality of the sensor is just as important. I am not familiar with ACTI so I am not saying at all they have inferior sensors, but if you are bent on finding the best quality, look for reviews about the size/quality of sensors vs pure Megapixel count. Extreme example but so I can make my point, my 6 year old Olympus DSLR is 10 megapixels. It is by far superior to a Samsung Galaxy S4 cell phone camera - which has 13 megapixels. The size/quality of the sensor makes a difference. If all things are equal (sensor quality/size) then yes, more megapixels is "better" especially for security purposes if trying to enlarge a screen shot to see a face, license plate #, etc.

Happy shopping!

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe277  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24399068

One big feature most cameras don't have is there's a slot for a SD Card. This can be used for a backup if your network goes down and your camera can't reach the NVR.

Many of the cheaper cameras also have micro SD card slots on the cameras, also many of them have excellent Picture quality, the only thing is, is that they may or may not last over the long haul. It would suck if you had a break in and your camera didn't catch it.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24399182

That being said, do not get caught up in megapixels. Just like the "latest and greatest" marketing hype - the increasing megapixels does not mean better quality. The size and quality of the sensor is just as important. I am not familiar with ACTI so I am not saying at all they have inferior sensors, but if you are bent on finding the best quality, look for reviews about the size/quality of sensors vs pure Megapixel count. Extreme example but so I can make my point, my 6 year old Olympus DSLR is 10 megapixels. It is by far superior to a Samsung Galaxy S4 cell phone camera - which has 13 megapixels. The size/quality of the sensor makes a difference. If all things are equal (sensor quality/size) then yes, more megapixels is "better" especially for security purposes if trying to enlarge a screen shot to see a face, license plate #, etc.

Happy shopping!

This is why I suggested viewing youtube videos of the different cameras, you can see how well they do, I have 2mp cameras that were not that expensive and they have Sony.1/3" sensors, idealy the size of the sensor will increase as the number of pixels increases for any given camera brand. I know the camera company that I am using has 1/2.8" sensors in the 3mp cams and 1/2.5" sensors for their 5mp cameras. Lens focal length and quality also have to be considered as well as lighting. Also wanted to add that most reviews I have seen on Acti cams were very good and considered a quality name.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24399182

I hear good things about Wirepath too - my installer was more comfortable with Lilin so we went in that direction - but I've read lots of good things on Wirepath too.

Happy shopping!

Very true. Forgot to mention the sensor vs MP deal. Megapixels are definitely not the be all end all. Viewing my WIrepath IP Camera on my iPad (3rd) which is not 1080p gives a phenomenal picture!! I was extremely impressed.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe277  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24399068

The other company i know that makes great stuff. I've had less exposure to these, but they make great stuff and a lot more options than Wirepath.

IC REALTIME
http://icrealtime.com/newweb/

They have many of the features of the Wirepath cams.

I believe the IC Realtime cameras are made by Dahua. There are quite a few companies selling rebranded Dahua cameras.

#20 ·

Anyone know any dealers that carry Model #: ICIP-3001HD and can give a price? Talk about a tough nut to crack. It's impossible to get pricing on these things. This looks like a good one for outside. It does 30FPS at 1080P, has IR to 100M. Has 20x Optical zoom. Has a heater. I am assuming it is pricy. I can't find it if is compatible with Blue Iris. I don't see them listed on their vendor sheet, but it says it works with .H264 so I would assume it would work. I sent them an inquiry if it did, since that looks like a nice package to use as a DVR.

As I mentioned before. I think one really nice camera for the door front house area with cheaper models for parameter security would be best. This looks like it fits perfect for the high quality one. Optical zoom and heater alone means no pixilation on zoom and the components shouldn't freeze up from ice or damage the sensor.

I had an Indoor Fostech in my Observatory and even though it was 'inside' the cold / heat had an impact on the image, so now it flashes red / green and normal on the image when there is movement.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24407423

Actually it looks like Dahua and IC Realtime are the same:

http://www.dahua-usa.com/products/sd698282a-hn-33.asp looks like the exact same model as the http://icrealtime.com/solutions/pdshowg.asp?pdid=ICIP3001HDIR

Dahua makes cameras that are sold under many different brands, Hikvision is another company that does so. Here is a price on the Dahua version of that camera.
http://www.amazon.com/Megapixel-Security-Surveillance-Ethernet-Weatherproof/dp/B00HHIS1OU/ref=sr_1_24/189-2260951-3632457?ie=UTF8&qid=1393372971&sr=8-24&keywords=dahua+ip+camera

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24408610

Dahua makes cameras that are sold under many different brands, Hikvision is another company that does so. Here is a price on the Dahua version of that camera.
http://www.amazon.com/Megapixel-Security-Surveillance-Ethernet-Weatherproof/dp/B00HHIS1OU/ref=sr_1_24/189-2260951-3632457?ie=UTF8&qid=1393372971&sr=8-24&keywords=dahua+ip+camera
Yeah I noticed that and it looks like a really impressive image. Here is a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECb8GFco-sc

Night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECb8GFco-sc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdbvL842p-k

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24399201

Many of the cheaper cameras also have micro SD card slots on the cameras, also many of them have excellent Picture quality, the only thing is, is that they may or may not last over the long haul. It would suck if you had a break in and your camera didn't catch it.

It depends on the design.  The first generation HD Foscam cameras - the firmware is so terrible - they basically came out with V2 hardware because of the problems with recording to SD Card.

On the other hand, for POE cameras - I'm using the Logitech Alert 700's. The software inside these cameras is way more sophisticated than anything I've seen from Foscam.  SD Cards come with all the devices and they do a great job of never missing a recording in my testing.  They are focused on practical recording and make mp4 files - and the motion detection I find is very good.  Alas, the optical is getting a bit older, but the software on the cameras themselves is good.  They clearly focused on the problem of reliable SD Card usage.  Example: when you file transfer from the camera to another device - the camera provides an md5sum hash - they put some thought into integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24395547

I use Blue Iris software that runs on an always on server that I use for other uses, you can buy dedicated NVR's and also some NAS devices can run security camera software. 

Related to this... I'm actually here to try and find some Alpha testers for a new software that lets an Android phone or tablet to manage .  Saves a lot of electricity for a 24x7 server, and Android has a lot of flexibility on hardware (TV sticks, phones, tablets, etc).  Remote access solutions for VPN and SSH are also great on Android.  I think it's going to be a few months until I have a reasonable number of supported devices - but my focus is on devices with reliable local storage and respectable built-in motion detection.  I think that's the future for IP Cameras - is smarter ones that evolve out of the unreliable SD Card and motion detection past ;)

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraCornet  /t/1519182/poe-security-cameras-and-dvr-software-suggestions-help#post_24429698

It depends on the design.  The first generation HD Foscam cameras - the firmware is so terrible - they basically came out with V2 hardware because of the problems with recording to SD Card.

I don't know anything about Foscam cameras, they are much cheaper than the brands I mentioned

Quote:
Related to this... I'm actually here to try and find some Alpha testers for a new software that lets an Android phone or tablet to manage .  Saves a lot of electricity for a 24x7 server, and Android has a lot of flexibility on hardware (TV sticks, phones, tablets, etc).  Remote access solutions for VPN and SSH are also great on Android.  I think it's going to be a few months until I have a reasonable number of supported devices - but my focus is on devices with reliable local storage and respectable built-in motion detection.  I think that's the future for IP Cameras - is smarter ones that evolve out of the unreliable SD Card and motion detection past

Might be a good idea to just start a new thread asking for Alpha testers, you might get more views.

#26 ·
I'm checking on the price of that IC Realtime camera for you. Their cameras are great (which basically makes the Dahua cams nice too) but they really excel at their own DVR/NVR software and other features. I am not sure if it's compatible with the Blue Iris software.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.