Systems to control individual lights and create scenes? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I went the Loxone route to control lighting, HVAC, garage and some LED strips and my gas fireplace.  In my living room I have tied this all to a single push button and 4 scenes using the Loxone lighting control function block.  It works like a charm and  I do not miss having a busy keypad ...... a 24 volt signal is simply faster than any keypad or radio signal.  I have seen performance of some of the common brands... when it gets to lighting they either talk to Lutron or to zwave/zigby switch.  In my experience the response was nothing close to what Loxone provides.  Even when I use the Loxone app, when I change colors on my LED strips there is zero delay. It really takes you by surprise when you experience it first hand.  Another aspect that made the decision for me easy was that Loxone does not charge for apps or access.  I have a real hard time paying for a system and then having to pay fees to use it.

It seems like you are doing your homework so you will be fine either way.  I was in the same position not too long ago....  but if you like performance you know my experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 PM

I have the Miniserver and some extension modules installed in basement.   I used the enclosure they offer on their website and have  extension and Dimmer module up on the second floor.  I ran a Cat 5 wire under my siding on the outside and it works fine.  The max distance is 500 meters ... yes they are from Europe and that is well over 1600ft.  In theory  you can install in Willis/Sears tower but you would need one heck of a wifi network.   The installation looks really clean with the enclosures. 

Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrbrunzr View Post

I went the Loxone route to control lighting, HVAC, garage and some LED strips and my gas fireplace.  In my living room I have tied this all to a single push button and 4 scenes using the Loxone lighting control function block.  It works like a charm and  I do not miss having a busy keypad ...... a 24 volt signal is simply faster than any keypad or radio signal.  I have seen performance of some of the common brands... when it gets to lighting they either talk to Lutron or to zwave/zigby switch.  In my experience the response was nothing close to what Loxone provides.  Even when I use the Loxone app, when I change colors on my LED strips there is zero delay. It really takes you by surprise when you experience it first hand.  Another aspect that made the decision for me easy was that Loxone does not charge for apps or access.  I have a real hard time paying for a system and then having to pay fees to use it.
It seems like you are doing your homework so you will be fine either way.  I was in the same position not too long ago....  but if you like performance you know my experience.

What did you use for the control panel?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 PM

To control lighting I almost always use the single gang WattStopper pushbutton.  With each push I advance to the next scene....keeps everything simple yet very capable.  If I want to modify any scene, such as dimming, color, on/off, I use either iPhone or iPad to change any scene. 

Initially the app got all my attention and it is fun to "show off" but honestly the push button gets all the use now.  I replaced my thermostat with a Loxone temp/humidity sensor.  I use the app exclusively for any HVAC changes.  I have an iPad mounted on wall so it is easy to get to when needed.   

I recommend downloading the Loxone app from app store.  When you start the app it gives you an option to connect to a test system.  You can use the app and get a real good look and feel of how Loxone works.  

Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. It was a tough decision.

I eventually placed an order for RadioRA 2 gear. Will try to come back when I am done and post impressions.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:11 AM

Liked: 11
I think you can get all you want for much less by installing by yourself something like an insteon system. The main controller isy994 is ~$400 and then each switch is ~$40 a piece. I have about 50 of them around house as well as multiple motion sensors, thermostats, leak sensors, etc, etc. Never had a problem. You can do scenes and any kind of programs with this setup.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by max90034 View Post

I think you can get all you want for much less by installing by yourself something like an insteon system. The main controller isy994 is ~$400 and then each switch is ~$40 a piece. I have about 50 of them around house as well as multiple motion sensors, thermostats, leak sensors, etc, etc. Never had a problem. You can do scenes and any kind of programs with this setup.

I had read a little about them, and there seems to be some fierce debate about how good Insteon is or isn't. They work great for some people and others report lots of problems. Super hard to sort out the FUD. It looks like the system has some really good software and features, but I didn't feel completely confident that it would be 100% problem free.

What is Insteon using for inter-device communication? I had read that most of the devices communicate over the powerline, like X10. I suppose in my case, bad experiences with X10 equipment has poisoned my opinion of this method. For example, a remote outlet switch that doesn't respond when my laptop is plugged in to the same outlet and just generally being slow to respond. When you don't have access to the hardware, it is really hard to be certain how well it works.

BTW, I already ordered the Lutron hardware, so that ship has sailed. Fortunately I paid substantially less then MSRP.