Help looking for options to combine automation equipment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone this is my first time on this form so if I am doing things wrong let me know and I apologize.

The equipment I have right now is an Elk-M1EZ8 security system which is compatible with X-10 and Insteon systems.
I also have a 6 zone Sonance Navigator Harbor system with 4 Navigator K2 Keypad’s.
My theater room has 6 lighting zones using Insteon switches to do the automation control and one old plug in controller so that I could program in a all on all off commands for a movie light scene.
Finally I have a Denon AVR-4306 receiver running my theater room then.

What I am trying to do is combine all of my equipment into one home automation system. Right now the Sonance system works great for distributing audio and composite video to each of the zones. But it is a IR and trigger voltage system only so no feed back as to what is going on. I programmed a rather in-depth IR program so I can select most functions but have reached its limitation now with my media server and wanting internet radio. Also not being able to incorporate lighting sense when I select movie on the remote.

Due to this I am trying to incorporate probably 2 new touch screens into the mix. I am trying to have them still work with my Sonance system so I need it to put out IR codes and a way to program that. I also am trying to connect it to the Elk security system for monitoring. The last thing is to control the Insteon Lighting system.

I have looked into mounting a tablet on the wall as one option but would require multiple apps to accomplish everything also how to do all the IR communication.

The Other option is a Home touch screen as I know you can program all of this into one system but do not know what my options are. I can not use a control 4 touch screen unless there is a way to program them with out there equipment or Crestron but am open to building a home automation computer if that is the solution or any other touch screen ideas.

What ever ideas would be great and software options to get all of this done.
Thank you in advance for any and all help given

Web site for all my equipment if that helps anyone
Key pads http://www.sonance.com/products/accessories/detail/191
Denon http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR4306(DenonNA)
Security system http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/m1ez8-cross-platform-control
Lighting http://www.insteon.com/dimmers.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM

Liked: 11
Questions

1: Are you planning on DIYing this? This may change what suggestions are out there.

2: Are you able to pull new wire if necessary?

3: Do you still have use for the Sonance's Composite video distribution? Have you not upgraded to HD?

CAV Installations

URC Total Control  -  Vantage  -  Monitor Audio  -  Autonomic  -  Fusion Research  -  TiVo

post #3 of 5 Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe277 View Post

Questions

1: Are you planning on DIYing this? This may change what suggestions are out there.

2: Are you able to pull new wire if necessary?

3: Do you still have use for the Sonance's Composite video distribution? Have you not upgraded to HD?

Thank you for your question Yes I will be doing a DIY as I do not mind the programing and enjoy doing the work myself.

As to the second question I am able and willing to pull and install new wire. Although I should be set when I designed the system years ago installed cate5 and a 18gague twisted pair for extra power at each touch pad location I have now.

The final question was about my sonance system I do not wont to give up that system as I am using that for the audio zone controlling the switching going into my 12 channel sonamp 1250 which is connected to my definitive tec speakers throughout the house. that unit is also a composite video switching device but I almost never use that portion of the system anymore.

I am not all that concerned about video distribution anymore due to in the past that was how I received the signal from my media server I had built. Now I can assess it with the smart TV systems. I on the other hand still use the audio side of the system often would prefer if it could handle digital signal but it has been working well. If I have to get a new audio zone controller it would be a last resort as I believe a set of contacts for the trigger voltage and IR codes could integrate it into a new system. But people out there might know if that would be fare to much work then it is worth.

Thank you for everyone's time once again
post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 PM

Liked: 11
You have some tough equipment. Lol. Luckily the Sonance can receive IR commands. Pretty much every system you find can output IR commands so it's a matter of programming them in. I'm not a huge knowledge base for DIY, but I think since you have Insteon lighting and you said the Elk system can play nice with Insteon then I think you should just stick with that. Insteon has a new "hub" controller. I don't know much about it, but that would work directly with your lighting and then should interface with the Elk system. Then it would be a matter of checking if all ready has a driver (or whatever they call it) that can control the Denon. If not the codes for the Denon should be readily available on RemoteCentral.com. Then you'll have to program all the Sonance IR codes into the Insteon system.

CAV Installations

URC Total Control  -  Vantage  -  Monitor Audio  -  Autonomic  -  Fusion Research  -  TiVo

post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hello I had been thinking about buying a (ISY994i/IR PRO) Home Automation Controller to help integrate all the equipment together it is designed to work with elk systems and specifically insteon devises. The IR model is designed to receive remote signals so that is good. What I have not been able to find out is has anyone used that system and how hard is it to connect to touch screen system or a home automation server if I go that rout. One final thing I have not been able to find out if the unit will also send out IR code of I you have to buy the Insteon IR Transmitter.
All advise and suggestions are welcomed

Thank you
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page