Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-14-2014, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Having a new home (not custom) built to be ready next July. Wanted to start to consider items that will make things easier for me down the line when I move in and want to look into home automation. E.g., I'm going to see if I can have them add Cat6 cabling to each of the switch areas where I will be installing in ceiling speakers for background music, looks like I will need a c-wire for each of the two thermostats in the house (has 2 furnaces), Cat6 cabling to areas where I may want to add POE security cameras.

But am curious what else I should be seeing if I can get them to pre-installed before dry wall goes up for this sort of stuff.

Right not I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options out there. Want to try and do as much on my own as possible vs using a dealer to install (just like the satisfaction of DIY), things I'm thinking of needing:

- garage door openers (looking at the chamberlain myQ for instance but not married to it if there are better mote integrated solutions)
- automated light settings (eg, turn all off from my smart phone, dim/control certain ones from a smart phone/app)
- control thermostats from the house or when away
- blinds control in some rooms (family room)
- would consider blinds that automatically come down when the sun is up sort of thing (not married to this but sounds interesting)
- Control some outlets when away from home (eg if an external heater is on it and I wanted to shut it down because I forgot or whatever), or turn on an espresso machine to warm it up
- control audio for the 3-5 zones I will have for ambient music

Probably a ton of stuff I'm missing, but want to start learning as much as I can in advance to ensure I do what I can to prewire the house accordingly and maybe even start buying items piecemeal as I see them on discount etc.

Any direction as to specific sites that are great places to star. Would be welcomed. Looked at z-wave and luxone but not sure if there are simpler ways to do the above and/or diy tutorials that people swear by in terms of usefullness that I should be reading.

Thx!

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Read the 'Wiring Your New House 101' guide over at cocoontech.com. It's a bit old, but most of the info is still valid. That will give you a ton of ideas...

http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/64-wiring-your-new-house-101/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #3 of 3 Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You're going to need multiple types of control for the things you would like to do. Zwave can be utilized for a few things, hardwire for a few things, rs232, IP, ir, etc. If you want one system you may have to drift away from DIY, but there are still ways you can do a bunch of it yourself. One thing you can do is wire a category cable and a 22/4 to places you think you may need a sensor or other device. The issue with wiring this way is a lot of it may go unused. You may want to consider choosing some products before you proceed. Like the motorized blinds and lighting. Then you can wire for the specific needs of those products. This may complicate your life a little now, but it will definitely simplify it later.
Things like Speaker and keypads don't need to be chosen now as speaker wire is speaker wire and 90+% of keypads now use Cat5e/6. My suggestion is to have your speaker wire run through the Keypad location. This will give you the option of saving a few dollars at first and just put in simple volume controls or for a future home owner.

CAV Installations

URC Total Control  -  Vantage  -  Monitor Audio  -  Autonomic  -  Fusion Research  -  TiVo

Reply Home Automation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page