Originally Posted by fearthisinc
I have been contemplating installing a home automation system for a home that we are planning on building soon.. I am trying to see what the best route would be to go..I am not sure if I truly need a home automation system or if I am better off just doing individual systems. I don't have a huge budget and trying to determine if what I am looking to have is achievable with my budget. Below is a list of the basics of what I want. For everything listed below including install I would want to keep the budget at 15k..
1. A Full Hardwired Alarm system with remote control ability and also ability to be monitored through separate company. (ex. adt)
2. Whole House Audio/Intercom system - I would like to have the ability to listen to music throughout the home and also have the ability to speak with certain rooms.. I would guess I would need 8 zones.. 1 zone for each bedroom (4 bedrooms), 1 zone for the garage, 1 zone for the outdoor space, 1 zone for kitchen/living room/dining room, and 1 zone for office. I would like this system to have bluetooth technology and also control system via touchscreen panels and also iphone/ipad/etc
3. I would like to control ceiling lights and fans from the touch panel and my phone if possible.
4. I plan on installing a separate extreme high end camera system with 24-32 cameras. For the home automation aspect I just want the ability to add 1 camera at each entry location (3 entry locations) and be able to view them from touch screen in house.
5. I would like the ability to have multiple touch screen monitors strategically placed throughout the home.
$15k won't get you Control4.
1. I use an ELK M1 Gold which has a third party app which works great. If I had to do it again I may install a DSC alarm that integrates with HomeSeer and MiCasaVerde
2. I have been researching this as well. Check out this HTD system http://www.htd.com/Products/Whole-House-Audio
. They have videos which show their intercom feature alongside the whole house audio. Other brands that are affordable are Monoprice, OSD. A bit more expensive is Russound, and then you have NuVo, and it goes up from there.
3. Your affordable choices are HomeSeer, MiCasaVerde, and SmartThings. I have SmartThings and I love it.
4. Foscam or Dropcam would do what you want. Get the IP cameras
5. I would use iPad minis, they're $300 and more flexible than other single purpose screens.
You can check out iRule, it's really cool. http://www.iruleathome.com/devices/i...atible-devices
. It can go a long way to integrating your stuff if you pick carefully. Maybe check out their forums and ask the same question. If I were you, I would consider the MiCasa Verde, the HTD lync (add a Sonos connect), the ELK m1 gold or DSC, foscam cameras, and lots of wires so you can change your mind later if necessary. You should be able to do everything you want for well under $15k but it won't be as "integrated" as C4. SmartThings is a great app with huge momentum going forward but for now, it seems that the micasa system has a more robust third party integration. For a standalone app to control lights/locks/outlets/garage etc, SmartThings IMO is the way to go.
Good luck! Keep us posted!