no 12V trigger-in with screen, alternatives? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question no 12V trigger-in with screen, alternatives?

Hi guys,

just wanted to check if there's anyone out there with some expertise that has any idea what i can do. I have a benq w1070 projector which features a 12V trigger out, unfortunately my screen (which operates via RF remote, or a control module connected to it directly) has no trigger in feature (it's an ebay screen but does it's job well)..

So i'm trying to think of a solution and wanted to check if anyone has ever been in this situation.

What i was thinking is hooking up the 12V trigger out on the projector to a relay, which i will connect to the remote's PCB (rendering it useless as a remote, but i figure if this works i won't need it)

is this at all possible? also how exactly does the 12V trigger work? does it just send a pulse of 12V when the projector turns ond another when it turns off? i'm not sure..

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 331
In my world (Crestron) I would hook the 12v up to the I/O port of my control system, and detect when the projector is powered on, then send a relay contact closure to the remote control to lower the screen. When 12v is removed, I would raise the screen.

12v on a projector is 'ON' when the projector is powered on, and 'OFF' when the projector powers off. That way there is a definitive on/off state to the projector.

I'm not sure, but you can check with the manufacturer of the screen to see if they offer any additional controls for the screen. I know that my screen (Draper) has to use an external low-voltage controller to allow up/down control from a low voltage system.

Worth saying - why use the 12v trigger at all? Why not just program your universal remote control to raise/lower the screen when you turn the projector power on/off. This really would be much simpler than trying to figure out what the projector is doing and tying things to it. With my system, when I press my 'Cable TV' button, the screen is told to drop, the projector lift lowers (for 12 seconds) and the projector powers on. The receiver power on, the cable box is powered on, and everything switches to the proper input. It all happens because of what the remote & control system tells it to do, not from anything else. So, a good remote would just take care of all of this for you easily.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
unfortunately my current universal remote is the kinect sensor with my xbox one, and while it does turn my sound bar and projector on and off, because y screen uses RF instead of IR, it's useless in this regard :/

while "a bit" more complicated, i like the sound of the first idea you mentioned, i think i'll go with that. quite sure there's no additional control for the screen as the screen seems to be brand-less.

If anyone has any other input, it would be appreciated, i'll get to it as soon as i finish finals, and let you know the results
Reply Home Automation

Tags
12v , relay , rf remote , screen , trigger

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page