AVS Forum banner

Require Sugestions: 1080p Crystal Clear Security Camera's with Perfect Night Vision

4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  rlhaudio 
#1 ·
Hi - We are moving into a new home and I require Sugestions from you guys to purchase and setup a "1080p Crystal Clear Security Camera's with Perfect Night Vision".

I got camera pre-wiring done for my home and based on suggestions from the Technology expert, I've also paid to do the pre-wiring for RG6 pre-wire that helps to view the security camera video directly on TV.

I was trying to find the ones with great reviews and little bit in the budget of $200-$400 each; need 2 of them.

1. TriVision NC-336PW
http://www.amazon.com/TriVision-NC-...=UTF8&qid=1403972559&sr=8-1&keywords=NC-336PW

2. Grandstream GXV3672_FH
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N=B00BREOSSI&linkCode=as2&tag=securitybros-20

Any clues on how to link up these camera video's directly to the tv using RG6? Please let me know. If these doesn't allow to link it up using RG6, please suggest any other camera's that shows very good picture during night time too.

Thanks in advance for your help. Appreciate it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Any clues on how to link up these camera video's directly to the tv using RG6? Please let me know. If these doesn't allow to link it up using RG6, please suggest any other camera's that shows very good picture during night time too.

Thanks in advance for your help. Appreciate it.
Nope. Not directly anyway. Those are both IP (Internet Protocol) cameras that connect to a computer or security DVR. (Almost) anything that would use the RG6 directly would defeat the HD resolution anyway.

#4 ·
Oh! ok, thanks for letting me know.

+1
There are coax to poe adaptor but they are not cheap.
You should use UTP like cat-e.

Also if your looking for really high res cameras cameras you'll need to speed a lot more than those listed
And if you want high res in low light conditions double the cost.
Something like this might be suitable
http://www.mobotix.com/eng_US/content/view/full/4648
Depending on your low light requirements you may to add additional traditional illumination in the form of exterior lighting.
One of the really cool aspects is that there is not necessarily a need for a nvr as you can capture directly to memory in the camera.
Do you have any suggestions about the best website to purchase those COAX to poe? Any clues on how these can be configured together?
Is it $1268 for 1 camera "MOBOXTIX DualNight" that you recommended? Any other options to keep the cost down a bit, but to still go with the Camera & TV connectivity via RG6 cables? No go?

#3 ·
+1
There are coax to poe adaptor but they are not cheap.
You should use UTP like cat-e.

Also if your looking for really high res cameras cameras you'll need to speed a lot more than those listed
And if you want high res in low light conditions double the cost.
Something like this might be suitable
http://www.mobotix.com/eng_US/content/view/full/4648
Depending on your low light requirements you may to add additional traditional illumination in the form of exterior lighting.
One of the really cool aspects is that there is not necessarily a need for a nvr as you can capture directly to memory in the camera.

#6 ·
Oh! ok, I wont be using a DVR; I would just be using a regular LCD/LED TV only that will be in my Master Bed Room.

#7 ·
Is the coax already run?
Do you also have power for the camera?
If yes to both I would focus on finding the best analog camera you can find.

If you are going to have more than one camera you'll need something to switch between them.
You might as well get a DVR as this will provide the switching and provide multi-cameras on a single screen.

The good news is analog is a bargain right now and you might be surprised how good the quality can be.

If you have no power you'll have to use adapters so you might as well go IP.
There are many my experince has been limited to the ones from Axis and NVT. If memory serves me these are $400-$500 for a pr.
http://www.nvt.com/content.php?type=product&key=ec1701kit1&cid=root
http://www.axis.com/products/cam_acc/media_converters/cam_t8640/

I don't have a lot of recent experience beyond Mobotix and the other solutions would be twice as much.

As a last resort you could use the coax for power and go wireless.
Here I have no experience.

Really I'd let whoever pulled the cables sort it out if there is no power.
They should have known better.

#9 ·
Exactly what kind of wiring do you have at the camera locations? Where is the other end of the camera wiring located? What kind of wire do you have available from that location to your TV's?
My new home is currently under construction and will be complete by end of July.
Based on suggestions from my Builders technology team, I paid to get the camera pre-wire done - one in the front and other on the back. They informed me that I would need to get the co-ax wiring done, if i need to hook up the co-ax to my TV in the bedroom; I accepted and paid for it.

Not sure about the power and how they're exactly connected. They did it during the pre-dry wall stage, while doing pre-wiring for the whole house.

#11 ·
Sure, i will talk to them and get that info. I think, it should definitely have 1, but I never checked it as it is way above and can't get to it without a ladder.

"The good news is analog is a bargain right now and you might be surprised how good the quality can be."
Can you please route me to any of the 1080p camera with good (if not great) night vision that can be hooked up thru co-ax?

#13 ·
I dont find much choices other than Swann in 1080p, also that costs $2000 with 8 cameras and the DVR. I wouldn't require those many cameras.
Might be I will buy the IP camera's that i found for $200/camera which has real good quality and will use my iPad to monitor them.

Can I atleast use the existing pre-wire for these IP cameras?

#18 ·
I get it. I would say get some 720p wifi (or wired if there is cat5 available) cameras that you can view on computers and mobile devices and if you need them to be displayed on the TV look for an app that can send the camera feed to a chromecast. Or just get a tablet/phone that you can plug into the tv using an HDMI adapter.

#19 ·
For IP camera's app would be provided by default, right? If not, how can we monitor the camera? Any reference to wifi camera's? I will check with my builder's tech department and see what sort of camera pre-wire they did and make sure.

I do have chromecast, but if i need to use the ipad & tv for monitoring, I would use ipad itself to monitor it, rather than having multiple devices.

Not sure how clear 720p camera's are; I never used security camera's earlier.

#21 ·
Yes there should be an official app but there are also many 3rd party apps in the app store.

Start checking out some youtube reviews such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdophBRrt8
Thank you; I just checked with Duncan Security (my builders tech department) who recommended me to go with the Camera Pre-wire and Co-ax cable pre-wire.

They specified that the camera pre-wire comes with cat5e to use with IP cameras and the traditional pre-wire to work with DVR camera's. Also they specified that I can use the co-ax pre-wire to monitor video from IP camera on my TV in Master Bedroom & Family room, if i use a DVR with the IP.

They are going to send me a quote for Camera equipment & Installation; let me see how much they charge and I think, i can come up with a decision based on that information.

#23 ·
Oh OK, in that case, I will try to use it with iPad/smartphone only, that should give me high resolution picture, right?

#24 ·
I was looking at this thread and thought I would add my thoughts.

Since they installed CAT5 I would definitely go with IP cameras. The quality of digital is far superior to analog if you can afford it.

They will go to a NVR(Network Video Recorder) if you want to record the video. If the NVR has a built in POE(Power Over Ethernet) switch it will power the camera over the CAT5. If not you will need to purchase a separate POE switch. They are pretty cheap. IP cameras also process the picture in the camera and send a clear streaming video signal which can be viewed directly from the camera or can be sent to a NVR for recording. Costco.com has a couple of nice kits with everything you need.

From the NVR you can have a HDMI cable to your TV if you have one in your bedroom or wherever you want to view it. I think pretty much all IP cameras come with software to view from the NVR or cameras to your smartphone or I-pad.

I started out with two analog cameras at my front door to watch Amazon shipments while I was at work but after a few upgrades I now have 6 IP cameras around the house. It’s nice when you are on vacation and want a quick look to see that everything is OK.

I hope that helps a little

#25 ·
Thanks, that helps. Also, can you please let me know if any of these IP cameras specified below are good or if you have any other recommendations.

1. TriVision NC-336PW
http://www.amazon.com/TriVision-NC-3...words=NC-336PW

2. Grandstream GXV3672_FH
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ecuritybros-20

Please recommend a low cost NVR for me too, to help me hook up HDTV to TV.

What kind of IP cameras do you have?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

#26 ·
I have a background with installation of security equipment, CCT (analog and digital).

Just wanted to give you my opinion after skimming over your thread.

1. In all the night vision cameras I have ever installed analog or digital $60 to more than +2000 per camera, all there night vision is NOT crystal clear.

2. IP cameras are not necessarily high resolution. You want to look for mega pixel cameras. I have installed ip cameras that were standard def. just make sure you buy cameras that are at least two mega pixels.
3 In my opinion wifi cameras are not a great way to go, only a last resort. Hard wiring is alway better! I have install both and wifi is definitely less reliable.
4. If your not recording then your not using a dvr, or nvr I am not sure how they expect to get a video output signal to your tv. I have always used hdmi or a VGA or d's cable to a tv from the security equipment.

If your looking for ok price for decent quality look at Vivotech cameras. They have an app for there up cameras that is pretty easy to set up and there equipment is reasonably priced.

Hope this's helps a bit

#30 · (Edited)
I would not use Wi-Fi cameras as stated above. Costco.com has some pretty decent choices with cameras and NVR kits (You don't have to be a member to buy online).
http://www.costco.com/surveillance-systems.html

Q-See, Lorex and Swann are all lower priced systems for the home market.

Go with the system that has the most cameras you will ever need. You can't add more cameras and record more than the system shows. Also if you record at full 1080p(2mp) you will need one with more channels to have the faster processor to handle the load. You have to look up the specs on each NVR but a typical 16 channel NVR can only record 4 cameras at 1080p or 8 cameras at 720p or 16 cameras at D1. It's a little technical but this is the way they work and it's not exactly written on the box. They only can record the maximum cameras at the lowest setting.

I bought my system over a year ago when the cost for a 1080p system was huge and bought a Chinese version of the Q-See NVR (Dahua 16ch) It has 2 3TB drives in it and can record all six cameras for about a month worth of recording all 6 cameras 24/7. When the hard drives fill up it starts recording over the oldest files. It has Q-See and Dahua 720p (1.1mp) cameras. (One thing I did after installing everything is to change the lenses on the cameras at the front door to get a less wide angle. I have a 50' HDMI to a 24" monitor in my home office where I can view all 6 cameras. I have software that I can view from my Samsung Note 2 from anywhere I can get a signal, even out of the country. I also installed it on my wife's phone.

I have enough light that three stay in color 24/7 and three turn to B&W at night on a set schedule. B&W is a lot better in low light and the only way they work with the IR illumination.

I hope I didn't confuse you more but I think it's better to know before you buy. I had an analog setup and about three years ago a moving van rolled down the hill I live on and decided to turn into my driveway and crash right into my garage. That is the day I was so glad I setup a security system and also the day I decided to upgrade to digital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fobBb33ID-8
Look at Hikvision and Dahua cameras. Know that you will probably need a separate IR illuminator(s) or motion sensor flood light if you really want to see dark areas.
He is a video of the IP cameras for comparison. See if you can make out the perps. Realize the quality is not quite as nice after double converting it to get it on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5POCAVjcVCE
"The Tophinator" - The video clarity of the one that you posted looks pretty clear. What cameras do you have?

Hmm... I'm completely lost with too many options and not able to decide on what to purchase and where to purchase.
Can you guys please guide me to a direct website where i can purchase better (if not the best) 1080p Security Camera's (DIGITAL) with 3MP-5MP with the NVR? Even if it is a kind of assembled (not 1 unit) that is fine. Please provide me the links of Camera's & NVR individually. As i am going with NVR, i will try to get one with lot of space. That should give me enough space, if recording in 1080p resolution.

As recommended above, I checked costco for these. I see that Q-See has horrible reviews on costco's website; Lorex shows good reviews on Costco website, but it shows horrible reviews on Amazon.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Chan...DD-and-9-1080p-Cameras.product.100087430.html
Please take a look at the link provided above and let me know if these are good? If not, please provide me the links of best one's?

#27 ·
I would not use Wi-Fi cameras as stated above. Costco.com has some pretty decent choices with cameras and NVR kits (You don't have to be a member to buy online).
http://www.costco.com/surveillance-systems.html

Q-See, Lorex and Swann are all lower priced systems for the home market.

Go with the system that has the most cameras you will ever need. You can't add more cameras and record more than the system shows. Also if you record at full 1080p(2mp) you will need one with more channels to have the faster processor to handle the load. You have to look up the specs on each NVR but a typical 16 channel NVR can only record 4 cameras at 1080p or 8 cameras at 720p or 16 cameras at D1. It's a little technical but this is the way they work and it's not exactly written on the box. They only can record the maximum cameras at the lowest setting.

I bought my system over a year ago when the cost for a 1080p system was huge and bought a Chinese version of the Q-See NVR (Dahua 16ch) It has 2 3TB drives in it and can record all six cameras for about a month worth of recording all 6 cameras 24/7. When the hard drives fill up it starts recording over the oldest files. It has Q-See and Dahua 720p (1.1mp) cameras. (One thing I did after installing everything is to change the lenses on the cameras at the front door to get a less wide angle. I have a 50' HDMI to a 24" monitor in my home office where I can view all 6 cameras. I have software that I can view from my Samsung Note 2 from anywhere I can get a signal, even out of the country. I also installed it on my wife's phone.

I have enough light that three stay in color 24/7 and three turn to B&W at night on a set schedule. B&W is a lot better in low light and the only way they work with the IR illumination.

I hope I didn't confuse you more but I think it's better to know before you buy. I had an analog setup and about three years ago a moving van rolled down the hill I live on and decided to turn into my driveway and crash right into my garage. That is the day I was so glad I setup a security system and also the day I decided to upgrade to digital.

#33 ·
x2 what az1324 said. If I were to buy a new system today that is one I would go with.

I posted my specs above.

The systems are way more powerful than what I bought about 1 1/2 years ago and the prices have come way down..
Thanks guys!!! As suggested, I would then get "Lorex 16 Channel Stratus HD NVR Security System with 3TB HDD and 9 1080p Cameras" from Costco.

quick final questions :

1. Is Doom camera better or Bullet better for exterior coverage? Read the reviews and noticed mixed talk all over.

2. I have the pre wire done only for 1 camera in the front and other in the back patio. So, I can only get 2 cameras connected with the pre wire. I can use 1 or 2 other cameras inside by connecting with the cables that come with this kit right? Are bullets better indoor or dooms?

3. What does it exactly mean by 16ch, I thought that it helps to monitor 16 cameras at the same time. Is my assumption correct?

#34 ·
I have used both but prefer the bullet for the exterior. Itdepends on how much you want it to be seen. I have bullets pointing in and outof my front porch as a deterrent.
The domes can get fogged up or get sun flairs a little easier.I think they might look a little nicer on the interior if you install onethere.
16ch means up to 16 cameras. Looking at the specs you shouldbe able to record 8 at 1080 or 16 at 720 or below.

#36 ·
I own a 4 pack of Swann cameras with a 2 tb DVR. It works descent considering the entire setup was less than $1,000. anything beyond 20 feet is garbage and you will need an ac adapter to power each camera. I will be adding and IP camera soon to test the strength/weakness of each. With an IP camera its powered via the Ethernet cable which makes wiring and installing camera much easier. Especially through conduit. I assume the software is proprietary to view/record. I have seen some pics from porches which looks like hi quality images and it can be connected directly to my pc which is connected to my tv. Another bonus if I want to switch back and forth. They both allow for remote viewing however hacking into my pc is a concern (the hard drive will either be inside or usb). With a DVR everything is separate.
Not sure what other differences there are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.