Security Camera suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2014, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Security Camera suggestions

I am looking for a wireless security camera system (house already built and would think it is a real pain to run the required cables to have a wired system). Looking for the following:

4 cameras
Night Vision
Iphone App or at least the ability to view away from home
email or text notification when there is movement
Cameras are motion activated--don't need to be recording constatntly
Ability to view on a monitor that I may set up in kitchen (for example to see who is at the front door)

Any ideas are appreciated even if they only hit on most of my needs. As far as price lets say below 700$.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You mention cameras and night vision, so I assume you want these to be outdoor cameras - usually mounted to the eaves/soffit area of the home. Do you already have power at these locations?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 259
If you don't have power at the camera locations you might as well run CAT5 and get some POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
If you don't have power at the camera locations you might as well run CAT5 and get some POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras.
This is what I went with and it works great. I got the http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...128&CatId=4443

Q-SEE POE 1080p Nightvision wired Color camera from TigerDirect. It was $179 on sale. Goes on sale from time to time but usually not this cheap.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
400 Each.. or for all? Either way in all honestly I'd be hard pressed to make recommendations. Axis is very popular and work well.. They might have some that fall into your budget, Avigilon makes some very nice ones but probably out of budget.

For software you could look into milestone, depending on your retention requirements you could probably use the free version on an old PC, the free version also includes the mobile client.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
More importantly do you know where you are going to store all the video?

If you want to get something like the QNAP NAS system then you would have Video Survellence software builtin. ZoneMinder is a free software option that might also work for your needs. I have personally used ExacqVision software and it's great and does everything you want but has a per camera one-time licesnse fee.

If you don't want to deal with all that, then I would suggest you get cameras with built-in SD cards so you can just record to the camera. It would still be IP based so you could watch the feed on a monitor by accessing the camera via ip.
Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page